Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Konami is considering making games for the Switch, namedrops Castlevania  (Read 13707 times)

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
My two cents on this is simple: do exactly what Circle of the Moon did, and do it even better. Circle of the Moon is entirely its own thing, technically unconnected to any of the other timelines or games (except in my heart) but even the briefest and most cursory glance at it reveals something that SCREAMS "I AM CASTLEVANIA HEAR ME ROAR". Graphics, music, and gameplay were all a sort of "Castlevania's Greatest Hits", and it was obvious. If there had been no name on the label and no title screen, you'd STILL know you were playing a Castlevania game because Circle was just such a lovingly done distillation of everything Castlevania had been up to that point, rough around a few edges though it was.

If Konami were planning to do this, if someone were serious about it and if they were to ask my opinion on how they ought to proceed, I'd say another, COTM-like extracanonical greatest-hits style game would be exactly what the fandom needed to restore the faith.

But that's just me.

I agree with this. I love that Circle is a Castlevania game that stands by itself without any need for previous knowledge. It has all the Castlevania themes but has its own system, plot, characters, art style and feel. Perfect example on how to do your own Castlevania without being held back by previously settled stuff such as plot or art.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
"It's old, therefore it's crap"

No.

Appealing to novelty or "evolution" is completelly disregarding that ACTUAL DEV SKILL is what makes a game good. The game can be a "2D with evolved style, something like DMC or an amalgam of Zelda and Dark Souls" and be great, or still be utter shit. It can be a classic sidescrolling and be great, or still be utter shit. "The gaming medium has evolved, embrace that" embrace what? The subjective "NO LINEAR PROGRESSION ALLOWED BECAUSE NOBODY DOES IT ANYMORE" rule?

My thoughts exactly man. We see so many reviews slamming linear games for being linear. What the fucks bad about being linear? Its forcing devs to make a bland boring open world for the sake of it rather than polishing it well. Practically everythings been done in games so let's focus on making the best games we can with what we have.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Is it just me or does every thread on here end up turning into an argument with one guy against everyone else? (not saying it's a bad thing, as that one guy is usually in the wrong/making dumb assumptions)
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Crying Freeman

• Legendary Hunter
  • With his Whip and Courage
    • Awards
It's today's internet culture ;D

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
I hate to admit it, but I'd even take a relatively small, mediocre game done in a retro style, like Double Dragon IV, at this point.

Hoping that if something comes out, it's on more than just the Switch. I haven't gotten much mileage out of Nintendo systems since the N64, and getting a switch just for a Castlevania game doesn't seem like too great of a proposition right now.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Asgardwolf

• Lord of the Lycans
  • Vampire Hunter
  • What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
Hoping that if something comes out, it's on more than just the Switch. I haven't gotten much mileage out of Nintendo systems since the N64, and getting a switch just for a Castlevania game doesn't seem like too great of a proposition right now.
^^This^^

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
I'm hopeful that Castlevania eventually makes its way to the Switch in a new form. Keep the oldschool 2d linear/ CV III branching formula, either start the series over again, or base it at a point (eg between LOI>CVIII) which hasn't yet been explored.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
It's today's internet culture ;D

We were doing it a decade ago. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline FanOfDracula

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place
    • Awards
sorry i was wrong about the topic  xD
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:03:07 PM by FanOfDracula »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
We were doing it a decade ago. :P

Hey, at least everyone's favorite New Yorican For Life™®™©™ left the party.  :P

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline BloodyShadowoftheDarkness

• I don't even know how I came up with this name
  • What a horrible night to have a curse...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Well, considering this new animation.
I think it would be a great opportunity to reintroduce the series to the big public.

I personally, of course would love a Metroidvania.
But honestly, it could be styled in anyway at this point.
Maybe similar to the N64 games, but with better gameplay.

Some improvement over the usual Metroidvania is what I would love.
And considering the Switch has a large amount of Metroidvanias, I think it might be a possibility.

A Rondo of Blood style of gameplay with different paths would be good too.

Or maybe something completely new.

Maybe explore upon the Simon's Quest formula a little more, but improving it.
Having towns and the world all connected was really nice, I could imagine that happening nowadays too.
And maybe could have the Castle itself be in Metroidvania style. Basically being the last stage, it would be really nice.

Since games nowadays are longer, I'm imagining a 2D Castlevania, mixing various aspects of the series through all the years.
Or something similar.

But of course, I'm just daydreaming about possibilities.
We don't even know if they will even do anything.
The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
I would love a proper Castlevania again, but only if it is within the old story. If it doesn't follow that, it should be like Bloodstained and be its own series. Of course, I think for a successful Castlevania, you need IGA.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
I think there can be a mildly successful Castlevania without Iga heading it or involved at all.  There were several games that did well without his involvement.  I just pray they don't go the way of Lords of Shadow.  If it isn't a game like SCIV or RoB, then I would want to see something more akin to Castlevania 64/LoD - just with good controls and camera work.

Offline suomynona

• Vampire Hunter
  • Bloodstained : Delay of the Night
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
That's kinda good to hear, as long as it's not something that starts with P.

If they're serious about it, I'd really like to have these as new addition to series.
Super Castlevania 4 Remake
Sorrow series Remake (with Kojima Ayami Art for both the game)
1999 Castlevania (as of Julius Belmont Castlevania)
Chronicle for the Belmont family

I'd hope something good, hopefully it's bigger then Symphony, or it's getting nowhere. Just a reminder that we are ready to open our wallets when you make a GOOD game Konami.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
I'd hope something good, hopefully it's bigger then Symphony, or it's getting nowhere. Just a reminder that we are ready to open our wallets when you make a GOOD game Konami.

Yeah, it's been a long time.
Cross platform please though... since I'm not yet sold on the switch.

Tags: