Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 586740 times)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #930 on: December 11, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »
^ The novels concern themselves with the main plot. If you found it bland, well, just think about reading a history book since that is what happens when you task someone who is more of a historian to write such things. Do not compare it to the high octane rush of other detective/explorer type stories of current fiction authors. I have read far more boring books in my life that i consider this better than most. The writing gets better and reaches the pinnacle in Revelations. But afterwards, it goes downhill. The worst novel was Black Flag in my opinion. I still haven't bought Unity, so i cant judge that one yet. I think i have a review of the books somewhere in this site.... and i quote myself.

(click to show/hide)

And an update i have gotten my hands on the Anhk of Isis trilogy comics. The illustrations were nice, the ancestor story was nice, the Desmond parts... Oh boy, poor Dezzie, he always gets the short end of everything. But, a warning, this comic book trilogy strays from the cannon of the games.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:00:26 AM by Shiroi Koumori »

Offline TatteredSeraph

• Queen of the Damned
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #931 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:36 AM »
That's actually very good to hear, that the writing gets better.  :)  Oh, I agree, I've read much duller texts, in fiction, history, and science.  I must admit that I have liked teh increase in historical details that you see more easily in the books than in the game, here and there.  The Hand of Isis stuff sounds quite interesting.  Straying from canon doesn't bother me. :)
"Blood is Family. Blood is Power. Blood is Everything"

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #932 on: December 15, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
Still not a video game but a game related book.
I got the Assassin's Creed Unity: Abstergo Entertainment Employee Handbook. One long title for a pretty looking coffee table book.
Short review that says everything: Aha! So this is where the present day events of AC Unity went to. Why did they not even bother to put this in the game?... And still leaves questions as the usual Ubisoft thing to do.

And I also got the AC Unity novel. I haven't started on it yet. The opening sentence shows Arno crying. Why did they not show that in the game too?... I'll read the rest when I have time.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #933 on: December 16, 2014, 03:03:11 AM »
Went straight to playing Uncharted 3 after finishing Golden Abyss. UC3 is probably my favorite of the series now. I have an itch to go back and play it on Crushing difficulty, but I think I'll hold off for now.

Stared Dragon's Crown recently, and I'm loving it. Playing as the Elf right now, though from what I'm reading, the Amazon probably would'be suited me better. Oh well, maybe ill switch classes some other time. I'm pleasantly surprised at the leap in boss difficulty after you unlock the B routes...I got my ass handed to me by the Wraith and then the Kraken, surviving but not beating them. I think this is a game that I'd really like to try the higher difficulties later on.

Can't wait to get my new Super Famicom games in the mail: Majuu Ou (reproduction cart), Return of Double Dragon, Violinist of Hamelin, and Battle Zeque Den. Checking out imports feels like opening a whole new world, in a way. So excited! :D
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #934 on: December 16, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »
I purchased a cheap used Wii on eBay which I just hacked/modded and will be giving it as a gift to a lady friend, and I've been testing the homebrew features I installed.  As such, I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess again.

She's into Mario & Zelda in a big way, but has only played up to maybe the N64 titles, so I'll ge putting Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Super Paper Mario, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (Z1, Z2, OoT, MM), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, on a 64GB Flash Drive, and putting emulators for the GB/GBA titles in the SDCard.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #935 on: December 16, 2014, 04:14:18 PM »
That's pretty cool Jorge, if it's the Wii version of Twilight Princess you're giving her be sure to tell her about the potential game breaking save bug (critical NPC won't talk to you if you save in a certain room) halfway through that was on first run Wii copies.

Had a great time with a visual novel with turn based combat called Loren the Amazon Princess. It's a cheesy fantasy adventure as the name suggests but nothing wrong with that. It reminds me of a mix of Bioware and an old school jRPG. Except the characters were more diverse and interesting than in Bioware, and your decisions have more influence on the plot than in most classic jRPGs. It's a bit bothersome you have to download the demo from the publishers website to unlock the "suggestive content" on the steam version. Even though the more revealing character costumes don't add anything to the game. I just dislike censorship on principle. If anyone's interested I believe you can play through the entire 1st chapter (of 4) on the demo here http://www.winterwolves.com/lorenamazonprincess.htm

Now I'm wondering what to play next. I'm thinking I'll either have another go at Batman on the NES or restart my long abandoned playthrough of Dragon Quest 1.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:16:34 PM by Ratty »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #936 on: December 16, 2014, 04:21:13 PM »
I think... I may give her the Gamecube version, but I'm still on the fence.
Space is an issue, since the USB 64GB drive is going to be holding emuNAND (an emulated System Menu, where I may be putting N64 Paper Mario if it works, and maybe some other goodies), and I think the Wii version of Twilight Princess takes up more space than the Gamecube version....

...but yeah I'm undecided on that.  I guess I'll see once the flashdrive starts filling up.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #937 on: December 16, 2014, 04:46:38 PM »
I think... I may give her the Gamecube version, but I'm still on the fence.
Space is an issue, since the USB 64GB drive is going to be holding emuNAND (an emulated System Menu, where I may be putting N64 Paper Mario if it works, and maybe some other goodies), and I think the Wii version of Twilight Princess takes up more space than the Gamecube version....

...but yeah I'm undecided on that.  I guess I'll see once the flashdrive starts filling up.

Make it the Gamecube version if only so Link will be left-handed as Miyamoto God intended.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #938 on: December 16, 2014, 07:54:36 PM »
There are some other options here and there that the GCN version benefits from, I've heard.... something about some stuff while you're on the horse...
...but I gotta say, I dig the widescreen landscape of the Wii version (I just don't like the huge controller outline on the right).
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #939 on: January 01, 2015, 01:15:23 AM »
I just beat Dragon's Crown on Infernal, playing a solo game as the elf. Good times. I'll probably go back and play through with the other characters one of these days, but I'm pretty burned out from it right now.

Now I'm playing the new Wolfenstein. Never has a game had me so confused as to whether I enjoy it or not...

So I crash land in front of Nazi stronghold, trying to avoid giant Nazi robo dogs. Okay...

Hey, these castle ruins are pretty cool...whoa! You push on the sword of a statue, and a tunnel opens up behind this painting. Hell yeah! This feels like Wolfenstein, for sure.

Now I'm leaving a burning insane asylum, and some annoying drones came out of an armored truck. What the hell am I playing?

Here I am, stealth killing Nazis in a tower. Not as cool as a castle, but hey, the game's fun again.

...and so on and so on. Aaaand so far you seem to lose all of your weapons at the start of each chapter. Ugh.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Hiryu

• Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #940 on: January 03, 2015, 11:12:05 AM »
I really loved Twilight Princess. If only Nintendo would release all their N64 and Gamecube games in HD on their Wii U store would I come back to the Nintendo fold.

Chose Xbox One for this generation as I really love the quality of the controller and playing MGS V: Ground Zeroes.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #941 on: January 03, 2015, 06:17:04 PM »
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1APjqhgIXE Someone tell me why this is not showing?

FF7 has been really good to me recently. At first I hated it but with school done I can relax and put some time into it and I'm really loving it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 07:41:50 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #943 on: January 03, 2015, 10:45:55 PM »
Did you get my review ;3

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #944 on: January 04, 2015, 02:57:05 AM »
ugh yes I saw that Gunlord.

Tags:

anything