Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: D&D/Tabletop gaming and RPGs  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:07:49 AM »
Because the conversation about it was starting to derail this topic

http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,5668.60.html

Here's a place to discuses anything and everything related to tabletop roleplaying games.
For those who are curious about it but don't know how to get into the hobby here's a pretty good introductory video on the subject by TheSpoonyOne

Counter Monkey - Getting Started with Roleplaying
He's spot on about Hero Quest, that game was awesome when I was 8 and it's still awesome today.

PS- If you're interested in Dungeons and Dragons or Paizo's Pathfinder in particular here's the little quiz shown in the previous thread to give you an idea of what class you might enjoy.

Although this only covers the basic core classes really, and there are tons to choose from, especially if your Game Master allows you to take classes from books outside the core handbooks.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:11:00 AM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
That was very informative. I first got into D&D back in Jr High (second edition) and had a blast. I used to only play male characters but then I tried play female characters and haven't looked back since. Maybe it's because a female character can get away with a lot more then a male character can. I do miss playing second edition though as it just seems that much quicker to get started, which was perfect during school hours as we only had an hour lunch break. It also helped make the school days that much more tolerable considering all the s**t I had to put up with. D&D and other table top RPGs are a nice way of taking a break from our harsh reality and just let our inner child go all-out and have fun. I miss it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:43:19 PM »
That is a great introduction! I have never played any table top rpg before but I know what to expect (with the help of the large number of high fantasy and fantasy books that I've read).
I would have to agree on his statement that it is hard to find players who have time for the game without going online.

Tabletop RPGs, MTG, and even video games allow us to escape reality and connect with our inner child. I think it is a good refresh button that allows us to face reality again with a smile after playing.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:49 AM »
We should play together online someday.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 06:32:46 AM »
We should play together online someday.

Indeed that could be fun. Either through a board thread or a program like OpenRPG.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
Indeed that could be fun. Either through a board thread or a program like OpenRPG.
I dont know if you guys think the same nor if he wants that, but HighwindDragoon seems to be a good storyteller.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:30:53 PM »
I dont know if you guys think the same nor if he wants that, but HighwindDragoon seems to be a good storyteller.

Hm, well could be fun. This seems to be the best free RPG program-
Roll20 GM Overview (Updated 9/13/12)
http://roll20.net/

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »
That is quite interesting. i didn't know they actually made such a digital program for D&D'ing. But it will take some time to learn your way around it as it sounds slightly complicated.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »
That is quite interesting. i didn't know they actually made such a digital program for D&D'ing. But it will take some time to learn your way around it as it sounds slightly complicated.

Yeah, seems the only one who needs to know most of that stuff is the dungeon master though, the players just come in and take control of their individual characters. If you're interested in how a game works here's the free System Reference Document (basically all the rules without the original flavor text) http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ for the Pathfinder roleplaying game. Which is unofficially "D&D 3.75"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:49:20 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 02:11:23 PM »
Its possible to see PDF archives in a site like Google Docs? That would help the interested people that doesnt have the books to play. Im asking that in the case that someone wants to DM another system, like Call of Ctulhu for example.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:14:14 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 07:53:13 PM »
Its possible to see PDF archives in a site like Google Docs? That would help the interested people that doesnt have the books to play. Im asking that in the case that someone wants to DM another system, like Call of Ctulhu for example.

Hm well I'm pretty sure the Call of Cthulhu stuff is available to buy for download/print on demand at drive thru rpg.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:56:10 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »
Honestly, anyone willing to play 3.5 is welcome to come over to my house right now.
I'll buy you a pizza.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 06:23:00 AM »
Honestly, anyone willing to play 3.5 is welcome to come over to my house right now.
I'll buy you a pizza.

With mushrooms? :D no D&D session is complete without copious amounts of junkfood, but the mushrooms help my nature worshiping character stay in tune with the spirits while also being greasy and delicious.

Say while we're here can anyone name the female character in this picture? I recognize Stephen Strange, Sorcerer Supreme and Master of the Mystic Arts rolling the dice there. (He would be great at the game, already got all of the crazy wizard exclamations of surprise down.) And of course Mr. Fantastic and Spider-Man, but not her.

Offline Lashen

• Vampire Hunter
  • ..."Nunchakus."
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
Wasp is my best guess; she's rather unfinished.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »
+1
Wasp is my best guess; she's rather unfinished.

Yeah, your guess is as good as mine. Sounds plausible though, that would give the artist a good swath of the Marvel universe.

Also I just realized, how could we have a D&D thread so long without posting this video?
An 8 Bit Reenactment of Dungeons and Dragons
Although I'm pretty sure almost everyone who has played a game of D&D in the past decade has seen it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:17:18 PM by Ratty »

Tags: