Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Why vampires didnt appear in photos and didnt have reflection in a mirror?  (Read 18511 times)

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Why vampires didnt appear in photos and didnt have reflection in a mirror?
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »
I've always wondered why Alucard didn't have a reflection on DoS.  I mean he's half-human and thus has a soul.  So, even if vampires don't cast a reflection because of a lack of a soul, Alucard should still cast one.  The only reasons I can think of are either Konami screwed up or they forgot he was half-human.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
Personally, I always thought there's something disturbing about photography and cinema, in the way it can catch a person and preserve his or her look and voice for many years, freezing time, never getting older, never changing, so people can see and hear a person even when he or she is dead. So unlike in our world where nothing is permanent. It's both beautiful and terrifying.

This reminds me of the story called 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

I've always wondered why Alucard didn't have a reflection on DoS.  I mean he's half-human and thus has a soul.  So, even if vampires don't cast a reflection because of a lack of a soul, Alucard should still cast one.  The only reasons I can think of are either Konami screwed up or they forgot he was half-human.

I also explained early on in this thread about this exact argument. I personally think Konami didn't do their homework. Either that or they wanted to have Alucard's physical form not show up in any mirrors as part of the games graphical effects. just something neat to catch the eye. But personally since Alucard is half human I think he should have a reflection.

"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2012, 04:02:34 PM »
Or maybe the programmers thought, "hey, maybe the players would think it's cool if Alucard didn't have a reflection." Just like all the other little things they add just for fun.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
You're also talking about mythological stuff that's usually pretty inconsistent and open to different and often contrasting interpretation.

Plus according to CVIII, Dracula sold Alucard's soul too, but I'm not sure if it was just the English version.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
Plus according to CVIII, Dracula sold Alucard's soul too, but I'm not sure if it was just the English version.

I have doubts about this. There's no way someone can arrange to sell your soul without your expressed permission. That and your soul is not yours to give as it is you. By selling your soul, you sell yourself off which simply cannot be done. While it makes for an entertaining story it has no basis in reality except through (again) storytelling. I think it was an English translation thing but I much prefer the Dhampyre argument. It just works better.
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
Alucard is half Human. Therefore he should have half a reflection.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »
Alucard is half Human. Therefore he should have half a reflection.

This would be kinda cool actually! We'd see Alucard's 'transparent' reflection in a mirror. Just like a ghost.

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2012, 08:20:59 PM »
No no, I mean like, literally, half a reflection. Like, you see only half of him.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, 10:47:59 AM »
So when he turns his missing half-side towards the mirror we can see all his inner-workings? eww  :P

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
No, if Alucard looks in a mirror, his reflection should be partially transparent.  On the other hand, if he walks in front of a mirror as Genya Arikado, his reflection should be of him in his true form.  If only his true hair color which is either blond or silver.  Hell, if there is ever another sorrow game, there should be a scene with Arikado and Soma talking in front of a mirror at which point Soma notices that Arikado's reflection looks different.  At which point, Arikado/Alucard transforms into his true form and explains everything in a nut-shell.

**FYI, when I say his true form, I'm talking about how he appears in SotN but in the cloths he is wearing at the moment.  Seeing that Arikado is always wearing a suit and tie, his reflection would be of SotN but in a suit instead of what he wore in SotN.**
Behold my power and tremble

anything