Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Rosary was a useable item in Castlevania (for 5 hearts)  (Read 2574 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
I was trying to trace some variables in the RAM. One of the variables was byte $015C. I traced it, it was checked whenever I tried to use an item, so I knew it had to do with subweapons. The only time it ever got set was to #00 when the Rosary finished its flash, but it was #00 to begin with. I was like, "WTH?" So I searched the ROM for any writes to it. I found only one more, which pertained to subweapon #0A. What was subweapon #0A? Well, #08 is the dagger, #09 is the boomerang, #0B is Holy Water, #0C is a red (icon) Axe with glitchy audio, #0D is the actual Axe, #0E is a glitchy Stopwatch with 1UP icon, and #0F is the actual Stopwatch. It turns out #0A is the Rosary. I was like, "No way, that has to be a sprite glitch also." Nope, apparently the Rosary is a subweapon for 5 hearts. I've never seen it appear as a subweapon before. Am I wrong?
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
Re: The Rosary was a useable item in Castlevania (for 5 hearts)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 10:25:17 AM »
Interesting that you found this. The only game that comes to mind for the Rosary being a sub-weapon using five hearts is in Haunted Castle. I have to wonder if they weren't able to input it in the original Casltevania at the time, but instead did-so later on in Haunted Castle.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »
In Haunted Castle? I don't remember a rosary. Whip, Morning Star, Sword, Torch, Bomb, Boomerang, Pocket Watch, and pew-pew-pew Cross. I don't recall a rosary. Now, I know Castlevania was developed alongside Vampire Killer, and a lot of sprites from that game can be found in Castlevania's data. However, I didn't see anything about the rosary as a weapon in VK either.   :-\

I saw a video of a guy hacking LoI, showing off a Rosario subweapon, but that's all I've been able to find about any such thing and that's obviously unrelated.  :D
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 10:15:37 AM »
and pew-pew-pew Cross.

This is what I was talking about, lol. It is in fact the pew-pew-pew cross/Rosary. Granted, it functions differently in Haunted Castle so that might have led to some confusion.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags: