Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground  (Read 106380 times)

Offline Mega Man Model T 101

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: CV fangame that needs just one thing to get off the ground
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
Here's the concept I'm going to use the new Sons of Satan music for. ;D

castlevaniafangamepreview

What do you guys think? :D
The Legend shall live again....

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #91 on: July 06, 2011, 01:26:11 PM »
Mmh. Looks pretty interesting.

But YouTube destroyed the music quality. XD

Offline Tanatra

• Everything Burns
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2011, 04:49:51 PM »
Hmm, seems that a harp would capture the "feminine sound" that you're going after for the Belmont theme rather well.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
You could probably lessen the movement of the limbs with some subpixel animation. Alucard and Richter in SoTN use it for their idles. So it's entirely possible to have a more subtle animation.

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
Oie, tried to do the attacking, but I can't get past the first frame. This was pretty much all I got.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
Oie, tried to do the attacking, but I can't get past the first frame. This was pretty much all I got.
Looks good for the start. What art programs do you use? It's all about research too dude! Find some examples from a character similar to the one that you are creating, (even if they are from other games) and look at their attack styles. Youtube is a good place for gameplay videos and of course various sprite sheets from the net. Then try to capture those frames and sprite over them till you get more confident in your own abilities.  That way you can see how you want your animations to go. Your eye will naturally fill in the spaces that look "out of place." I think (correct me if I am wrong) that one of your obstacles in making animations is that you are basically trying to create something that you don't know what it looks like yet. (At least that was what one of my game design teachers told me  a while back.) Also try just making silhouettes with out any detail in them for the movements you want. Again your eye will naturally fill in the blanks for you. You will see a huge difference on how many sprites you can crank out by not worrying about all the details for right now. Good luck man. Remember also, the sooner that you finish that sheet the quicker more people can help you out and get the main character done. I know that the main characters were the longest part that took me in my game...

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
I think (correct me if I am wrong) that one of your obstacles in making animations is that you are basically trying to create something that you don't know what it looks like yet.

Even after years of spriting I still have this very problem too. It sucks but there's really nothing you can do except widdle away at it.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
Even after years of spriting I still have this very problem too. It sucks but there's really nothing you can do except widdle away at it.
You should check out a book called "The Skillful Huntsman." It is like the bible for game designers. It help me overcome this very issue. I think every artist has "artist block" for a short or extended period of time. The techniques in this book enhanced my skills and also helped me to overcome creating original art even after years of just living on my computer to do everything.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
Well, I honestly don't know. While I'm sure your advice and such is helpful, I really don't know if I can actually do it. I know it takes time, but it's not time that I have. Since I can't get my laptop working for the life of me, either it getting a virus or simply because it's an entirely faulty unit, I have to use the family PC.

And to be honest, it's hard to work on delicate stuff like that, constantly being asked "What's that? What are you doing? What are you viewing?" almost non stop. It's one of those things you can't control, and it never really stopped even when I had my laptop. I get almost no privacy. It's not really a problem of trust if that's what you're wondering, but it's just a problem of being over curious I think.

I've tried my hand at spriting many times, and it's never really turned out right. Mostly when it comes to making animations for a sprite. Even with using the method of placing the sprite over another and trying to sort of trace it doesn't really work for me, I'm not at the level needed to actually change the sprites properly. I'm just not.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2011, 10:51:43 PM »
Well, I honestly don't know. While I'm sure your advice and such is helpful, I really don't know if I can actually do it. I know it takes time, but it's not time that I have. Since I can't get my laptop working for the life of me, either it getting a virus or simply because it's an entirely faulty unit, I have to use the family PC.

And to be honest, it's hard to work on delicate stuff like that, constantly being asked "What's that? What are you doing? What are you viewing?" almost non stop. It's one of those things you can't control, and it never really stopped even when I had my laptop. I get almost no privacy. It's not really a problem of trust if that's what you're wondering, but it's just a problem of being over curious I think.

I've tried my hand at spriting many times, and it's never really turned out right. Mostly when it comes to making animations for a sprite. Even with using the method of placing the sprite over another and trying to sort of trace it doesn't really work for me, I'm not at the level needed to actually change the sprites properly. I'm just not.
I get it dude parent's can be a pain. Mine used to be like that, I was told I wouldn't make any money drawing all day, it's stupid, on and on...now I am about to graduate Game Design School and making games..don't give up dude. Once your family see's that you are serious about it, then those questions won't be so bad. Also, those questions (and not just from your family) will NEVER stop.  Here's a trick I learned, when they ask get all Technical with everything about the programming and such. It'll probably go over their heads and they'll just chalk it up to you are making your own game! However, you should take pride in not just your project, but your work in general and want to talk about it. It's suppose to be fun right ?lol That book I mentioned is in pdf format online dude. It'll help you alot. You should look into it. Just a suggestion. It's good that you have no problem mentioning your weaknesses, but you gotta force yourself to overcome that. If you can't draw hands, guess what you do, you draw hands everyday until you cool with yourself about drawing hands. You don't know how much I am getting drilled with advice from people and teachers at school. Some who are still in the business. One of my advisors was on the team that released Transformers War on Cybertron, another one did all the texture maps on all the Metal Gear Solid's on PC. Get my drift dude? Your persistance will pay off, but if you don't even try you will always be a "wanna-be" and someone who is always just looking in...good luck on your project!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 10:59:35 PM by darkmanx_429 »

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:25 PM »
Well, by some bizzare fluke, my laptop is still working and still has all is data on it. So I can work on this without having to worry about tying up the main pc. Still, will need help with certain fields.

Offline ScionOfBalance

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
Why not base Sophia(that her name right?)on Sakuya from koumajou Densetsu 2 Stranger's Requiem(Touhouvania 2 for those less familiar with it)?I thought this up,ya know,since they're both gilrs,both are using skirt,but Sakuya is a little big,so she might need some resizing.....

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2011, 07:12:02 PM »
Why not base Sophia(that her name right?)on Sakuya from koumajou Densetsu 2 Stranger's Requiem(Touhouvania 2 for those less familiar with it)?I thought this up,ya know,since they're both gilrs,both are using skirt,but Sakuya is a little big,so she might need some resizing.....

Well, 101 said that he wanted to have the more classic movements on Sophia, such as the Belmont Walk and such. Plus, Sakuya has a ridiculous amount of running frames. Though a lot of us are chipping in to make a sprite for Sophia, I doubt any of us would want to animate Sophia similarly to Sakuya. Of course, considering how easy some things are to do, the animation can actually be toned down to 8 or so frames, rather than the 30-something that Sakuya has, so... >.>
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »
Yeah, I really can't use any of the Touhouvania sprites, simply because they're too big, and not to mention the detail of animation is really high. Not to mention Sakuya doesn't have the moves of a Bemlont, where as Reimu did. The whip stance, and there are even sprites of her throwing something in the Belmont fashion.

But again, too big, and too detailed of animations. I'd resize the sprites myself, but arcsoft photo studio blurs the edges of sprites when resized. It is how ever great for working with tons of layers.

Say CS, how is the walking animation coming?

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 07:33:07 PM »
Not too well, mainly cuz I've kept forgetting to ask you, do you have any drawings or pictures of her from behind? It'd help a lot.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Tags:

anything