Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: MOVIES  (Read 119218 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #285 on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Audition

Whole lot of nothing (over an hour of it) and some weird shit. Then weirder shit. Then puking in a dog bowl and feeding it to a mutilated guy. Then surgical wire and needles. I think most people stopped there. I guess it technically would count as a thriller, but so many people consider it a horror film that it was worth mentioning. Nothing gory in it at all. The level of violence was nowhere near the amount of violence in Visitor Q, and that movie was a comedy (well, I laughed). ... I think Visitor Q's also labeled as a horror flick by some, but it's not even close.

Anyway, maybe that's why I hate zombies so much, especially in video games. When a zombie gets a hold of someone and eats them, that's not nearly as unnerving as just seeing a zombie walking around. The whole damned moaning and walking and walking... I dunno how I feel about fast zombies. I have mixed feelings about them because for me, the slow zombies cause more tension and build up suspense. It's kinda like in hold horror movies where the woman runs into a corner and screams as her impending doom approaches.
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2013, 03:19:33 AM »
I finally watched Pacific Rim! It was great but I still love the men in monster suits kaiju movies.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2013, 06:02:25 PM »
Rewatched a few of the movies on my October list the other day, The Last Man on Earth and NOTLD. Forgot just how sad The Last Man on Earth is, great movie though.

Today I rewatched 1937 B-thriller Think Fast, Mr. Moto since while 'tis the season to watch horror films stuff has been going on lately that has made me not feel much like doing so. The Mr. Moto films are among the most positive portrayals of Asians in the American media of the time, though certainly still racist. I find them to be relaxing, though it's sad to think about how the pre-WW2 hopes for peace and friendship between America and Japan that underlay the Mr. Moto books and movies didn't come to fruition.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:26:18 PM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #288 on: October 09, 2013, 12:59:38 AM »
Rewatched a few of the movies on my October list the other day, The Last Man on Earth and NOTLD. Forgot just how sad The Last Man on Earth is, great movie though.

Hey, its that movie that "I am the Legend" is a rip-off?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #289 on: October 09, 2013, 11:26:40 AM »
Hey, its that movie that "I am the Legend" is a rip-off?

Well there are 3 movies based on the original novel "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. First was "The Last Man on Earth" then the hilarious "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston and then most recently the Will Smith film with the same name as the original book. "The Last Man on Earth" is the most faithful to the book and I think the best version. But the film is in the public domain so you can watch it for free online and see what you think.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:33:11 AM by Ratty »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #290 on: October 09, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
Ive watched a part of it with my father some time before this "misfortune" happened. It seemed really interesting, I think I saw 30 minutes of this movie, stopped minutes later after the main character shots some "zombies/vampires/infected" from his house.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #291 on: October 09, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
Dawn of the Dead is actually a pretty well paced film. Most of its imitators were much slower, like the very well regarded Zombi 2 (AKA "Zombie") an unofficial prequel/sequel which famously featured a fight between a zombie and a real shark.

Zombie is my preference. Creepier movie, heavier atmosphere, more impressive effects. It took me years to really see Dawn of the Dead as all that special, and even now it's certainly not one of the movies I look to when wanting something fun. (NOTLD is what I love where Romero is concerned.)

I wouldn't call it a Dawn imitator, though. It clearly went for a much different direction in just about all aspects, its only ties being that it shares a series name in Italy. Kinda like how Zombi 3 took things in an even weirder direction, but simultaneously full of suck.

This brief part is supremely awesome, however.

So many different styles of zombie in this flick. Too bad it wasn't executed better. (Written by the guy who did Troll 2, so, you know......)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:05:40 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #292 on: October 13, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
So I picked back up "The Batman" season 1 and started watching where I left off. Mostly so I'll have a little more background for "Batman Vs. Dracula" this Halloween. I gotta say while I hated it when I first started watching it I think it's gotten better. Nowhere near as good as Batman TAS of course, that's kinda like comparing a Van Gogh to a Velvet Elvis, but it's alright. The fight scenes are good and some of the character designs aren't terrible, though I still hate the look of Alfred and Bruce Wayne.

Offline Zannibal

• Sir Overlod Zannibal
  • Hunter in Training
  • I walk by the moonlit graves, I'm home...
    • Awards
« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
Best anti-drug film IMO.

This means you haven't seen Reindeerspotting ;D It's also real. And by real, I mean real. It barely has any script. It's just group of drug users, and one of them decided to film their lives and yeah. The crew was released from jail 2010 (we got really nice prison system here. A guy who murdered someone back in 2001 is being released next year, etc), and the "main character" of the film was found dead in 2010, by hanging himself.

Guess what. I also watched Requiem for a Dream. I'm impressed and disappointed. People praised the movie as "the most depressing movie ever" with "shocking ending". It was neither of them. I was so ready for depressing movie. I sharpened my knives and was like "let's get emotional motherfuckers!", but no. I guess the reason is because I have watched Reindeerspotting and this was just not as bad. I mean these drug users never even had the problem to get the drugs or anything. You know, it missed the feel of despair somehow. I don't know, it just didn't feel bad overall. Of course some scenes were a bit sad and how the kind of happy looking guy went all bad. And the ending.. Well, yeah, if that happened in real life, it would be really god damn bad, but it wasn't really that shocking. I was expecting them to commit a suicide or something. Also, placing that party scene at that part wasn't the brightest idea. I mean, how I'm supposed to feel bad when there's stuff like that on my screen  ;D

But the good things are; It's really well made. I mean it's perfect technically. All the speed-ups, the cutting style (breakfast, for example), split screen, just so cool :o And the music, of course.

Overall, I'd say 4/5. Really well made and all, but not as depressing or anything Freddy said, as I was expecting. There is of course a chance that I really got some problems on my emotional-life ;D I mean really, most of the music I listen to has something to do with death or suicide (like Mayhem's Freezing Moon, the lyrics are written by Per Ohlin who has completely insane and ended up killing himself), I spend all my days alone in my room listening rest of my family fighting (well, they don't fight very often nowadays, but they used to fight every day some time ago) wondering why I wasn't invited to the group of people on their final year in high school on Facebook while everyone seems to be there ;D No wonder I don't get depressed by movies easily. Actually, the movie somehow shows how I see my future. Well, I'm not going to use drugs, but living in a messed up house left out of society with nothing to do with my life. Oh well, just a little off-topic.

E; It's 4 in the morning here, my English-part of the brains isn't working too well at this time :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:06:49 PM by Zannibal »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2013, 01:46:09 AM »
Titan AE.

Urgh... the blue scenes hurt my eyes so bad.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2013, 06:01:09 AM »
I watched "The Breakfast Club" with my friends yesterday.

Boy, that is one movie that was close to moving me to tears. It has so much emotion in it. So unlike the teen-comedies of the 90's and 2000's, which made watching it with friends incredibly awkward for me. That's a movie that is best to watch with your girlfriend / boyfriend, not with your beer-buddies. Watching it with buddies just makes you feel lonely.
It's not exactly a romantic movie as it doesn't deal with romance, but I do consider it a romantic movie because it is so emotional, and the 80's soundtrack and clothing make it nostalgic, and you feel as if the 80's had a certain sincerity that doesn't exist today. It's probably an illusion, but I doubt Hollywood could produce such a beautiful, emotional film today. 

And this beautiful song.

Simple Minds - Don't You (Forget About Me)

@Zannibal, I feel you, man. I hardly get any emotional from movies, maybe because most movies fail at being emotional and are "phony" as hell, like Salinger's Holden Caulfield said.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:12:24 AM by Mooning Freddy »
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #296 on: October 19, 2013, 06:24:31 AM »
Watched this on Blu-ray:

An American Hippie In Israel HD trailer

Shut your ass!
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #297 on: November 04, 2013, 01:26:16 AM »
Thor: The Dark World!

Whooohooo~ Tom Hiddleston!  :D

This is way better than Iron Man 3. I wish it were longer though... I couldn't help but feel quite a number of things went to the cutting room.

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #298 on: November 04, 2013, 03:37:56 AM »
Titan AE.

Urgh... the blue scenes hurt my eyes so bad.

Been meaning to watch that for a while, I'll be sure to turn the brightness down on my tv now.

I watched "The Breakfast Club" with my friends yesterday.
Loved that movie so much as a teen, haven't seen it in years but can still safely say it's my favorite "brat pack" movie. Funny thing about the guy who played the geeky kid, when he got a little older he beefed up and moved on to "Jock" roles, perhaps most notably as the villain from Edward Scissorhands.

Thor: The Dark World!

Whooohooo~ Tom Hiddleston!  :D

This is way better than Iron Man 3. I wish it were longer though... I couldn't help but feel quite a number of things went to the cutting room.

Sweet, hope there's a director's cut version on DVD.

As for myself, I realized it's been about half a decade since I watched Farscape through so doing that. It's interesting going back to the first season and seeing all the characters before they were fully developed. John's constant jokes and references to earth culture no one else understand just being a quirky character trait. Instead of a symptom of his desperate feelings of isolation/culture shock and occasional near-insanity. Or D'Argo and Aeryn being generic "proud warrior" aliens before becoming much richer and more interesting characters, apt to view their role as soldiers as accidents of birth.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 04:17:12 AM by Ratty »

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:57 AM »
Hyping myself for the Desolation of Smaug by watching the Unexpected Journey for the 3rd time.

Tags: