Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Who was it that plays the 'bone here?  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« on: October 14, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
So I seem to remember someone around here plays trombone. Can't remember who.

Anyways...was just wondering what you think of playing the instrument in terms of ease? I borrowed one from a friend a few years ago, and it was definitely a lot easier than trumpet...

But how long would you say it takes to play and get a decent clean sound, provided of course you practice frequently?

I would like to embellish some of my music projects with a real trombone someday, I think it's fairly safe to say that I don't have time to build chops for trumpet without it messing up the other instruments I play. But the 'bone does seem like I could have more realistic expectations for doing some day.

Just curious , maybe I'm mad for thinking I could do it in short order. But I do have a good concept of pitch and all that, so that may help.

Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
Re: Who was it that plays the 'bone here?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 02:30:02 PM »
So I seem to remember someone around here plays trombone. Can't remember who.

Anyways...was just wondering what you think of playing the instrument in terms of ease? I borrowed one from a friend a few years ago, and it was definitely a lot easier than trumpet...

But how long would you say it takes to play and get a decent clean sound, provided of course you practice frequently?

I would like to embellish some of my music projects with a real trombone someday, I think it's fairly safe to say that I don't have time to build chops for trumpet without it messing up the other instruments I play. But the 'bone does seem like I could have more realistic expectations for doing some day.

Just curious , maybe I'm mad for thinking I could do it in short order. But I do have a good concept of pitch and all that, so that may help.

ME

trombone is the single best sounding, most expressive, and most fun instrument ever created by human hands

it is perfect in every way
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:09:06 PM »
I also know how to play the Trombone.
However, I haven't in some time.  Still love it, though!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:11:21 PM »
It's easier than trumpet (IMO) due to the larger mouthpiece.
You also get more expression due to the slide.
The very high notes are tricky (high Eb, F), and the low notes if you have to get to 7th position, could be also tricky, but most tunes are in the middle.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 08:47:41 AM »
It's easier than trumpet (IMO) due to the larger mouthpiece.
You also get more expression due to the slide.
The very high notes are tricky (high Eb, F), and the low notes if you have to get to 7th position, could be also tricky, but most tunes are in the middle.

Yeah, I remember being able to get notes out of trombone rather easily when I tried it about 20 years ago. Trumpet , I couldn't really get anything to speak right away. Too narrow a focus in immediate comparison to trombone, which seems more forgiving in this regard.

The other dilemma is whether I should just get something good and cheap so I can learn immediately, or save for something really nice. I usually stick with instruments I want to learn, and I hate the idea of having to waste money by buying something cheap and being forced to upgrade to something better once I am ready for it.

Ideally, I think I'd want something like a King Silversonic or Super 20--they made really great alto saxes , so I am familiar with the quality, plus I really appreciate how King was pretty much the best American brass/sax manufacturer for its time in history.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 07:03:10 PM »
Ideally, I think I'd want something like a King Silversonic or Super 20--they made really great alto saxes , so I am familiar with the quality, plus I really appreciate how King was pretty much the best American brass/sax manufacturer for its time in history.

their trombones aren't too hot

most of jupiter's lineup is good
Eastman is a really underrated brand, i've owned two
getzen is like the god of manufactured brass currently
yamaha is a no brainer but also expensive
can't vouch for the quality of edwards but heard that they're decent
SE Shires is the same people that make eastman horns

My best advice is to stay away from any CONN brands or brands under the CONN name
they overcharge, hella.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:57:49 PM »
their trombones aren't too hot

My best advice is to stay away from any CONN brands or brands under the CONN name
they overcharge, hella.

Are you sure the King Super 20's aren't that great? Sure, King makes tons of student model stuff, but the silversonics/20's still fetch a heavy price. Not quite as pricey as tenor saxes, but close...

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 03:48:42 PM »

Are you sure the King Super 20's aren't that great? Sure, King makes tons of student model stuff, but the silversonics/20's still fetch a heavy price. Not quite as pricey as tenor saxes, but close...

they're designed to fetch a high price
they'll be a playable instrument and they wont really hinder you, but there are instruments that would serve you better at the same price point

my first trombone was a selmer conn, and i currently have a king trumpet. I strongly advise against it

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:27:05 PM »

\

kinda relevant, made this from a few other trombones

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:26:17 PM »
Talk about your fixer-upper eh?
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 08:01:31 PM »
Talk about your fixer-upper eh?

not at all, it sounds beautiful
antiquing was intentional
it's a jazz horn and that's what i use it for
it's gotta be as nasty as my playing

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:03 PM »
Um, yeah, that is pretty nasty.

This is more of what I think of when I think of Kings...

Surprised to find you don't like them at all (unless you are just speaking of your personal horn). In the sax world, King Silversonics and Super 20's are considered among the best ever made. My personal favorite for Altos was a King Zephyr , but then I dropped it and it was never the same, even after repair...With that being said, I might just be in a minority that favor the Kings in the sax world. Most like Selmers and such, but there are a small handful that find the King sound to be the best. For altos in particular, the best sound I've ever heard and admired was Cannonball Adderly, and he used a King. Not many other Alto players I respect for their sound.

Not that King didn't make cheaper stuff, they did for sure. But I had a friend in HS/College that got a King Silversonic trombone as a gift after leaving work at a music store, and he loved it.

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
Conn brands are the only ones i've had a problem with
besides schiller and other chinese made horns

Tags: