Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Movies that made you cry  (Read 10374 times)

Offline Pfil

• How I miss the old days...
  • Master Hunter
  • Quit treating me like a child!
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS)
« on: May 10, 2013, 04:26:50 PM »
+1
Perhaps this is a girls only thread, since we cry more than guys, but I'd like to see replies from everyone  :)
I will list some movies that I can think of right now that made me cry.

Atonement (the ending is just heartbreaking), OldBoy, The Brotherhood of War, The secret in their eyes, Moulin Rouge, Marley and me, My dog Skip (yes, I know...).

When I can think of more I will post them.
Now I'm tired, eternally walking... forever dying, and never stopping. I feel in sorrow, all I see is white. I’m following a blind way beneath a sad sky.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
"What Dreams May Come"
and
"Patch Adams"

I love both movies, but I won't watch them because they're both guaranteed to put me in tears.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »
Hm think I may have talked about this movie here but before but oh well. Farewell My Concubine takes the cake for me. A tale about traditional Chinese Opera actors before, during and after the Chinese Revolution and later "Cultural Revolution" (which was basically the Spanish Inquisition as done by teenagers) from beginning to end it is one of the most beautifully made and heart breaking films I have ever seen. You can get an idea about the mood and visual style from the trailer below.

farewell to my concubine trailer

In my opinion the cinematography is at least as beautiful as Lawrence of Arabia, but the story is even sadder. Featuring child abuse (and later homosexuality/transgenderism complicated by child abuse) the excesses of two governments including the aforementioned witch hunts of the Cultural Revolution, unrequited love, death and betrayal. But it is a film overflowing with gorgeous technicolor, made by a director who actually lived through the Cultural Revolution. And it seems almost every shot in that movie could be a beautiful and/or haunting painting.

I also seem to remember the children's movie Milo and Otis making me cry as a kid but I haven't seen that in at least a decade and a half. Babe was a good movie that probably did make me tear up as a kid, Babe 2 was a terribly depressing movie that lacked all the heart and charm of the original.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:17:34 PM by Ratty »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
Star Trek: Generations was a bad film. And by that I mean who they killed of Kirk when it was a dick move to begin with and enraged a lot of fans. That last scene with the two captains just as Kirk dies still brings me to tears. Another one that made me almost cry heavily was not a movie but an episode of the Next Generation called The Inner Light. For me it was literally heartbreaking to know that an entire race was doomed to die without having even begun to reach for the stars, even for their own survival. And the simple flute theme that was composed for that episode; brilliant. It was a real tear-jerker. There are a few other films that have touched me to the point of crying but at the moment I can't recall them.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:53:53 PM »
Those Pixar movies especially Toy Story 3 and Up.
I don't cry much but those movies hit the spot.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:26 PM »
Star Trek: Generations was a bad film. And by that I mean who they killed of Kirk when it was a dick move to begin with and enraged a lot of fans. That last scene with the two captains just as Kirk dies still brings me to tears. Another one that made me almost cry heavily was not a movie but an episode of the Next Generation called The Inner Light. For me it was literally heartbreaking to know that an entire race was doomed to die without having even begun to reach for the stars, even for their own survival. And the simple flute theme that was composed for that episode; brilliant. It was a real tear-jerker. There are a few other films that have touched me to the point of crying but at the moment I can't recall them.

Hey at least we've got the RedLetterMedia review to make us laugh at it and realize just how truly bad it is. Though his Star Trek reviews aren't nearly as the Star Wars prequel ones. And I think "The Inner Light" is usually regarded as one of the best episodes of TNG for good reason.

Those Pixar movies especially Toy Story 3 and Up.
I don't cry much but those movies hit the spot.

I was never a big fan of Toy Story, even the first one (GASP! I know) but woo WALL-E 4ever!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 02:06:38 AM by Ratty »

Offline Laina

• F.A.N.G. stands for “fucking awful, not great”, babe - me to UZO on SFV
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • 大丈夫だよ!
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace. Seeks to keep games/fandoms free of any changes they deem Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »
"What Dreams May Come"
and
"Patch Adams"

I love both movies, but I won't watch them because they're both guaranteed to put me in tears.

Word. Throw in Wall-E, The Notebook, P.S. I Love You, Bambi, Charlotte's Web, that episode of Voltron where a sweet little bear gets turned into a Robeast...there's more, I'm just too depressed to go on right now. I...I need to lie down for a little while...
Groove is in the heart.

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 02:09:19 AM »
Lion King: The Death of Mufasa

This part always got me I remember crying so badly as a kid. I was thinking what if something crazy happened to my dad? And that is when it hit me like a ton of bricks and afterwards when simba called for help it was over for me and it still get's meto this day  :'(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:15:17 AM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Lone Wolf

Re: Movies that made you cry
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 04:29:47 AM »
Some scenes in "A Walk To Remember"...

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:35 AM »
I remember watching watching Marley & me. The movie almost made me cry but from a completely different point of view: I was so terribly bored.  :rollseyes:

Seriously though, I wonder why people love those kind of films. The movie is about a couple and their dog and their hardships in life. It's a movie about a regular couple's life and NOTHING special happens to them through the entire film. I kept waiting for something dramatic or unusual to occur in the movie but it never did.
"Oh!" You'd say, "but the movie is about real life love!" So what? I know lots of movies about love that are dramatic, entertaining, or at least have a plot.   
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 09:04:53 AM »
I don't remember any movie actually ever making me cry. But the closest I came to shedding a salty one was when watching Irréversible for the first time. It's bleak, it's revoltingly violent, it's chaotic and it does not give the viewer the relief of a moral of the story or the bad guy getting blown to bits or shit like that. On the contrary, actually. It's a horror story with a horror that exists in the real world. I guess the only "happy" image in the movie is the ending/beginning. And it's just an image. By that time, the viewer knows that is in fact the beautiful thing "time destroys".

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
The only movies I really cry in are church films and even that's only sometimes. Most movie that are suppose to be sad aren't very sad to me.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 01:07:20 PM »
I remember in 10th grade I took part in a program of German-Israeli partnership. The whole idea is that of German and Israeli teenagers meeting each other and getting to know each other, and taking part in activities founded by Germany. It was a beautiful experience for me. I cannot forget the kindness of the German (religious) family and my partner who was a great guy with interests similar to mine. 

At one part of the trip to Germany we visited the prisoner / concentration camp of Bergen-Belsen. There wasn't too much to see there since it was entirely destroyed by allied forces at the end of the war, and it was turned into a Holocaust memorial.
However, there was a part I remember when we sat down to watch documentation of the atrocities committed in the camp. A very harsh sight, even for black & white footage. I remember that some of the German teenagers cried; We Didn't. 
Why was it, I wondered. Are we so familiar with the Holocaust and its imagery that it no longer provokes an emotional response in us? And even when it does, it is rather anger and disbelief than sadness? Is it the old victim / murderer complex that prevents us from connecting with them, even though we are a fourth generation and should no longer view ourselves as victims and criminals? I truly wished it was not so.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »
At one part of the trip to Germany we visited the prisoner / concentration camp of Bergen-Belsen. There wasn't too much to see there since it was entirely destroyed by allied forces at the end of the war, and it was turned into a Holocaust memorial.
However, there was a part I remember when we sat down to watch documentation of the atrocities committed in the camp. A very harsh sight, even for black & white footage. I remember that some of the German teenagers cried; We Didn't.
Why was it, I wondered. Are we so familiar with the Holocaust and its imagery that it no longer provokes an emotional response in us? And even when it does, it is rather anger and disbelief than sadness? Is it the old victim / murderer complex that prevents us from connecting with them, even though we are a fourth generation and should no longer view ourselves as victims and criminals? I truly wished it was not so.

Chances are they're probably experiencing what's been described as 'sin's of thy father'. In spirituality doing a bad deed to someone else will come back to hurt you in kind, but only if you are directly responsible for the cruel act. But those German students are not responsible for the atrocities that took place all those years ago, but they no-doubt feel somewhat responsible and ashamed that their own nation would have allowed such and inhuman act to ever occur, and on such a horrific level of genocide not seen in generations' past. Of course there was some good that came out of it and that is our modern intolerance to act's of cruelty against other human beings. Things like the 'Declaration of Human Rights' and the 'Geneva Convention' all came out of such atrocities. Sometimes it take a nightmare like the holocaust in order to help awaken the 'human awareness' as to what's happening around them.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Lone Wolf

Re: Movies that made you cry
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
Lots of spoilers! X)

Just kidding. lol Btw, i think some parts from the Nemo movie could be a bit more touching as well..
But Disney movies are supposed to be touching in certain times, aren't they? :P
OH, wam.... Toy Story 3 Ending! XP

Tags: