Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC  (Read 145807 times)

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
Re: Koji Igarashi Leaves Konami, Founding New Studio, Metroidvania GDC
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
I don't expect Ayami or Yamane to be back, but that would be amazing,

Man it kinda feels like Castlevania is dead now.
I do feel kinda empty now  :-\

Everything comes full circle

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
+2
there was castlevania long before him and there will be castlevania still. I dont see how this man is treated like the god of cv by some ppl. He worked on SoTN sure but he wasnt the director or even someone with a huge role. All he did was take the formula for the most successful cv of all time and regurgitate it over and over with mostly poor results. Im not sayin I like the direction its gone in anymore now than I did then but IGA wasnt the end all be all of the series

Offline djrunza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Founder of CV: Souls of Sorrow
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 10:51:39 AM »
+2

I don't know what else to say...... Just crying and sulking in the corner....... Hopefully IGA-sama will continue the legacy of the original Castlevania and collaborate with WayForward to make a new Castlevania game at its finest!  :'(

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2014, 10:54:12 AM »
+2
there was castlevania long before him and there will be castlevania still. I dont see how this man is treated like the god of cv by some ppl.
Not so much he's god, but his departure signals the end of an era for Castlevania and Konami.

LoS2 apparently bombed, and Konami probably won't revisit the IP for awhile until they find a new studio/direction for the series. Who knows how long that will take, but we all knew at the end of the day Konami never had plans to return to what we all love about Castlevania in the first place; the 2D games.

If that doesn't bother you then more power to you, but I'm not liking the idea of the series reinventing itself over and over again to the point we get something way more different than LoS, and LoS didn't have much to do with the series until the dev team listened to criticism with the sequels.

This industry has taught me it pays to be more pessimistic than optimistic these days.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »
+3
I kinda fully expect Ayami Kojima and Yamane running with him. Judging by his statement, he really wants to go full stop with fanservice.
I don't see why not. Kojima and Yamane SEEM to be buds with IGA. I'm sure they are all on good terms, and considering Kojima and Yamane are both freelancers, anything could happen.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
+2
So we'll never see an IGA-penned 1999, will we? Seems like the greatest of hopes has finally been shattered...

Still, if he has left to found his own studio, then this won't be the last time we hear from him. And to be honest, more IGA and more Metroidvania is more than enough to keep me happy -- Konami or no Konami. I'm looking forward to his next game.
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2014, 11:04:04 AM »
Found out the news today....registered on the forum to express my sadness at Iga's departure. The CV I knew and loved is gone.  :'(
Castlevania isn't just IGA. I was more disappointed to see Yamane leaving.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
+3
So we'll never see an IGA-penned 1999, will we? Seems like the greatest of hopes has finally been shattered...

He can still do it, just change 1999 to 2012 and Demon Castle War to Angel Palace Siege and he has a plot.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2014, 11:18:27 AM »
He can still do it, just change 1999 to 2012 and Demon Castle War to Angel Palace Siege and he has a plot.
I would die.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
I really hope the setting is essentially the same.

I won't even be mad if I have to whip lanterns and candles again.

Jeez imagine how good the music could sound again, too. :}
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:30:35 AM by OSM »

Offline Kamirine

• Welcome to Fright Night.
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2014, 11:34:09 AM »
I wish him all the best and what he puts out, like I plan to do with MN9, I'll support the hell out of it.

Though I do wonder now: MS is done, IGA is gone...so what will become of my beloved CV now?  Something brand new?  A retread of the Classicvania or set in LoS era?  I'm actually really excited.  It's like with him gone but getting to make essentially Metroidvania games, I get to have my cake and eat it too. Selfish maybe, but having both rocks.

Offline Oniros

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
+3
This is the happiest and saddest news I've read surrounding Castlevania in a long time. On one hand we will now never get the conclusion (1999 battle) to the original timeline; and after LoS2 bombing, Konami will either outsource CV games to the lowest bidder like Silent Hill or stop making them altogether. On the other, Iga is free to do what he pleases and it is pretty evident we can expect a Kickstarter in the coming weeks. Honestly, I don't care at this point what name the new franchise uses. As long as the gameplay is there I will back the shit out of it. I hope Iga is smart enough to base it on his more successful titles like AoS or OoE and implement a Soul/Glyph system on top of the platforming.

Also, him making a new IP will hopefully shut up all the detractors who said the man had no talent and recycled SotN over and over. I have big respects for the man and it irks me to hear such stupidity. As someone who has played everything post-SotN over and over, there have been substantial differences between titles. Assets might have been re-used but the gameplay changed dramatically from CotN to OoE. Overall, I would say this is a happy news for Iga fans and Iga haters alike.
(click to show/hide)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
+1
He worked on SoTN sure but he wasnt the director or even someone with a huge role.

Uh, he was the assistant director, scenario writer, and programmer. This details the extent of his role (it was pretty big)

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2012/09/feature_the_making_of_castlevania_symphony_of_the_night

I hope he does a kickstarter, i'm sure a lot of dungeonites including myself would make a significant contribution towards his project.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
I really like how the thread at Neogaf is pretty much all "Glad he's finally leaving that sinking ship called Konami!" comments. 

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Not so much he's god, but his departure signals the end of an era for Castlevania and Konami.

LoS2 apparently bombed, and Konami probably won't revisit the IP for awhile until they find a new studio/direction for the series. Who knows how long that will take, but we all knew at the end of the day Konami never had plans to return to what we all love about Castlevania in the first place; the 2D games.

If that doesn't bother you then more power to you, but I'm not liking the idea of the series reinventing itself over and over again to the point we get something way more different than LoS, and LoS didn't have much to do with the series until the dev team listened to criticism with the sequels.

This industry has taught me it pays to be more pessimistic than optimistic these days.

IMO, IGA didn't create Castlevania, and his departure sure as well won't kill it, but with your logic, it was dead long before IGA left.

Count me as someone who never thought IGA was coming back. He was on the Castlevania "project", so to speak, for 13 years. You don't just take a series out of someone's hands after 13 years only to give it back 4 years later. Whatever was going on behind the scenes, Konami no longer saw IGA as a profitable investment. That doesn't just change because the new idea "flops", and I use the quotation marks because we don't really know if it is a flop quite yet. We have 55k sales in 4 days for the physical PS3 copies. That's it.

Anyways, there is still a chance to see 2D-vania again. Is it a big chance? No not really, but it's no bigger or smaller than it was after Harmony of Depair came out. But perhaps with the current market, it's more suitable to the indie scene anyways. I'm sure whatever IGA comes out with will basically be a Metroidvania in everything but name, and will most likely itch everything IGA-fans are looking for.

Whatever he makes, I'm sure I'll end up playing it.

Tags:

anything