Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Games you thought you would hate but ended up liking  (Read 6682 times)

Offline Jazz Paladin Productions

• Vampire Hunter
  • I was summoned here to pay tribute
    • Jazz Paladin On Facebook
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Games you thought you would hate but ended up liking
« on: August 11, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »
So, what games did you think you would hate but end up liking?

For me, the best example I can serve up is Metroid Prime. I was super pissed when I heard they were transitioning from 2D to a first-person shooter. Firstly because I absolutely hate first person shooters, secondly why not do 3rd person if doing 3D, and 3rdly because I thought it would lose its vibe as an exploration based game.

Boy was I wrong...it is still one of my top 5 games, and I am playing through it again now. Especially once they added the Wii Remote aiming for the Wii / Wii U versions, it takes on a whole new level of immersion. They totally somehow nailed the Metroid vibe, and I thought it would be impossible for FPS...

Just got a few of the OST's on order yesterday too, loved the music
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline DraculaCronqvist

• Demon King
  • Vampire Hunter
  • I shall give you the answer along with your death!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Games you thought you would hate but ended up liking
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
Good question!

Now, this was waaaay back when, but a game that surprised me a lot was "Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines". Before I bought this game, I was kind of a coward, easily intimidated by extreme violence. However, my affinity for vampires had always been very strong and so, after a lot of inner debating with myself, I chose to buy the game. Right from the first minute, it sucked me in with its rich atmosphere and good dialogue and characters, so my fear gradually subsided. I was a little frightened by the Blood-enemy in the museum, but my real first taste of apprehension came, like with so many other players, at the Oceanside Hotel. Although no real violence happened there, the level scared me deeply, but I managed to persevere and actually got quite a kick out of it afterwards. Even scarier to me was later the Zombie-level in Downtown, because back then, I had an enormous fear of zombies, no matter how detailed or not they were. Ultimately, it ended up becoming one of my favourite games, one I still return to now and then. It also helped me shed pretty much every fear in gaming I ever had.
"It's not that I don't love to run into the heart of danger... Actually, that's exactly it."
"Individualism is a path fraught with obstacles, and sometimes angry mobs, but for all its hardships it is the only one worth taking."

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 05:32:32 PM »
The Metroid Prime series was one of them. The other was Castlevania64/LoD. It was around the time of the PS1 and N64 that many of our beloved franchise' were making the transition over to 3D. I wasn't on board with the idea at the time. And it would be some time until I let that go. I'm glad I did in the long-run.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:13:44 PM »
I’ll be bold and add FF7 to the list. The first time I saw pics of the game in a magazine showing off those butt ugly block figures, I felt like puking. Especially in contrast to the demo pics of FF VI shown off for the N64, which looked very polished and sophisticated. 

Granted, even though I ended up liking FF 7 , it has paled and diminished in my regard over the years.  I still play SOTN and Wild Arms and Metroid Prime far more.
Jazzyvania: Symphonies of the Knight now available on CD/ Digital platforms! Groove on!

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 08:29:26 AM »
Dark Souls.  All I ever heard was absurdly difficult they were and I don't have much free time to play games so I figured it'd be a waste of time.  My buddy got me to try Dark Souls 3 when it released and as it turns out, once you learn the mechanics they're not as bad as everyone says they are for the most part.  The level/world design (especially Dark Souls 3) ended up being some master class work.

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:59:39 AM »
Dark Souls.  All I ever heard was absurdly difficult they were and I don't have much free time to play games so I figured it'd be a waste of time.  My buddy got me to try Dark Souls 3 when it released and as it turns out, once you learn the mechanics they're not as bad as everyone says they are for the most part.  The level/world design (especially Dark Souls 3) ended up being some master class work.

That's the exact reason I haven't tried Bloodborne

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:29:29 AM »
That's the exact reason I haven't tried Bloodborne

Bloodborne is definitely a much harder game than any of the Dark Souls games, in my opinion.  If you don't mind cheating though and just want the experience, PS4 Save Wizard has the ability to modify the save file to give you a ton of Blood Echoes to level up to OP status right off the bat.  It's a paid software though, but works great.  https://www.savewizard.net/

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
Ironically, part of the reason i dislike Dark Souls 3 is the same reason I initially disliked 1 back when a friend made me try it.

I basically did the undead asylum. and it felt very heavy and clunky, so initially I wrote it off and said 'interesting but whatever. too clunky feeling"

eventually when Dark Souls 2 was being hyped, I started it, but decided to go back and play 1 first, and fell in love with it's clunkyness. because everything followed the "rule of clunk", even the enemies.

Now, I played and liked Bloodborne. I have my problems with it, but I enjoyed it. Because it always put the player on a somewhat equal footing with enemies. enemies were quick, but so were you.

Which is my problem with Dark Souls 3. it's basically taking Bloodborne, but sticking Dark Souls combat on top. so it feels like a halfassed mishmash of both. Enemies are often way quicker than you, but all you can do is roll. There's no poise, so heavy armor is practically useless, and everything is too fast for many slow weapons. You will basically *always* have a better time if you go medium-light armor and use a fast weapon.

At the same time, having played the network test, there was no equip burden there, which leads me to believe even more that they wanted to apply bloodborne ideas to the game but pussied out.

Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
My first foray with the Soulsborne games actually Bloodborne of all things. At the time, I didn't "get" the games and how they were expected to be played. It wasn't until I played Dark Souls 3, then Dark Souls 2 that I returned to Bloodborne.  What's interesting to me is that I agree with you about the unbalanced enemy speeds in Dark Souls 3, but for some reason that game is much easier to me than Dark Souls 1 and I'm not able to put my finger on why I feel that way.

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 05:05:50 AM »
Granstream Saga, FFVII(had never played a turn based rpg properly, before), Zelda OOT, Metroid Fusion, Children of Mana(didn’t love it but it was addictive), OG Paper Mario, Fire Emblem Awakening(had never played an FE prior to this).

They all turned out to be solid games.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD
                                                                          v
                                                                         BE>*  
BE=Bad Ending
RE=Richter Ending

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2020, 08:17:59 AM »
playing through final fantasy 6 right now, and i've fallen in love
same thing happened with chrono trigger

like all of a sudden i like jrpgs now?
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 06:15:07 AM »
Mario 3D World.

I blame the Nintendo 3Ds for this. When I first got to try that console, I turned on the 3D effect and almost immediately I felt like the effect was hurting my eyes and making me feel dizzy... I've tried the 3D feature other times, and the result is always the same. I can't stand the 3D feature of the 3Ds. When Mario 3D Land launched, I read in the reviews that the game is structured around the 3D effect, so the idea of having to use that feature to enjoy the game turned me off from ever bothering to play it.

Fast forward to the WiiU. When I saw Mario 3D World for the first time, I was not only disappointed that it wasn't a traditional 3D Mario game, like 64/Galaxy etc., but I was also disappointed that it was in the same style of the 3DS game. For this reason, I did not bother to play it at launch, and did not try it until many years later when it was priced at $20 new.

One day I was bored and particularly in the mood for a Mario game, so I decided to drop the $20 and finally try 3D World. I'm really happy that I gave this game a chance, because the experience left a huge impression on me. I think the game is amazing, for so many different reasons. Absolutely fantastic. I have since gone back to play 3D Land (of course, with the 3D feature disabled) and realized I was missing out on some amazing games.

Unfortunately, my WiiU and all of my games were stolen, so I haven't been able to play it since. I am anxiously awaiting a Switch port. Nothing official has been announced yet, but it makes all the business sense in the world that they will eventually port it, and I'll be there on launch to experience it again.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 09:55:50 AM »
I've seen quite a few Mario Switch games available so, who knows, Mario 3D World could be around the corner. As for me, I'm awaiting Metroid Prime 4's release.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 04:32:54 PM »
I've seen quite a few Mario Switch games available so, who knows, Mario 3D World could be around the corner. As for me, I'm awaiting Metroid Prime 4's release.

The rumors I've heard is that Nintendo planned to re-release several Mario games, including 3D World, for the 35th anniversary of the franchise. But I've also heard that Covid has had a really negative impact on Nintendo, heavily slowing down all of their projects.

Maybe Metroid 4 isn't as impacted, since its being developed in Austin, TX. 

Offline zangetsu468

• Master Hunter
  • God bless the hustler, curse the first sleeper
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 07:32:02 PM »
Mario 3D World.

I blame the Nintendo 3Ds for this. When I first got to try that console, I turned on the 3D effect and almost immediately I felt like the effect was hurting my eyes and making me feel dizzy... I've tried the 3D feature other times, and the result is always the same. I can't stand the 3D feature of the 3Ds. When Mario 3D Land launched, I read in the reviews that the game is structured around the 3D effect, so the idea of having to use that feature to enjoy the game turned me off from ever bothering to play it.

I'm assuming for the 3ds you're referring to 3d Land, not 3d World and I disagree.
I bring this up because 3d Land is a game I initially believed would be average, but turned out to be one of the best 3d platformers I've ever played and it slightly edges over 3d World for me (and yes I've played through 3d World with 4 players - at its best).

The idea that you need the 3d feature on to play 3d Land is false. Yes there are segments which are made easier by the 3d effect, however, these are few and far between and it is certainly not require for 95% of the game. (As a gamer who played 3ds extensively, I never left the 3d effect on for more than 30 mins on the lowest setting and I personally wouldn't recommend anyone to do this.) If anything 3d World, which boasted more complex levels, I could've benefited from 3d glasses on specific levels where you're on a fast-moving platform and it can be difficult to judge the depth perception when you need to make certain jumps (similar to Axo-Battle Toads, but not as brutal in difficulty).

Content-wise, 3dL had 8 worlds, special stages, more bite-size levels which were conducive to a 1 player experience and a much more satisfying final boss battle. 3dW was more complex, more graphically nice, had the cat mechanic which was interesting but was only great with 4 people, had too many racing/ on-rails segments, only had 7 worlds and a lame final boss battle which killed the rest of the game's momentum imho. It also had the golden 'cheat' Tanooki leaf, which there should've been an option to turn-off, or simply give the player the P-Wing on rare occasions like SMB3 did.

For me personally, SMB3 as a kid, was my favourite Mario game of all time (technically All-Stars, but if I had to choose one game it would be the All-Stars version of SMB3). This basically remained unchanged, although New SMB was a rival contender for some time, but 3DL took it and for the few 3D Mario's I've completed, it still holds the torch which is yet to be passed.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[Judgement]>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

**<<<<<SuperCVIV>COTM<<<<<<<<+
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^
                                 ^      l   v  ^    +<<<<<<<BE
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v                 ^  
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     BE>>> VK<**   
                                 ^      l   v  ^    v     ^          ^   
            +<<<<<Legends>HC>OOS>LOD>64       ^
            v                           l              ^                ^
            v                           l     BE>> * <<<BE    RE
            v                           l      ^               ^       ^
LOI>CVIII>COD>AR>BR>CVC>CVII>HOD>ROB>SOTN>OOE>BL>POR>AOS>DOS>>>KD