Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Old news, but... Curse of the Moon's stiff controls  (Read 2785 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Old news, but... Curse of the Moon's stiff controls
« on: August 23, 2019, 07:28:27 PM »
[rant]

After I finally got past that damned final stage on my first playthrough of Curse Of The Moon, I put the game on hiatus for a while because that final level infuriated me so much. I finally decided to go for the alternate "evil" ending whereby I kill everyone around me. Or did I keep my wizard? I forgot. Whatever. Anyway, my point is, stage 2 was pissing me off royally to the point I almost threw my 3DS because I kept dying over stupid shit -- instead of jumping left or right, I always kept jumping straight up. And that's when I realized Inti Creates royally fucked up the controls for this game. And before you go and say, "They wanted to make it look and feel like Castlevania III," I'm going to put my foot down and say, "No. No. No. NO!" The controls in CV3 were a lot better than they are Curse of the Moon! Sure, Trevor couldn't jump onto stairs, but he still had a lot more control than Zangetsu does. It's so much harder to jump horizontally in this game than it was in CV3. The only jumping issues I ever had in CV3 were in the last clocktower when the screen auto-scrolls down -- I used to (keyword: used to) miss the jumps on that final gear. Nowhere else in the game did I ever have issues with jumping. But Curse Of The Moon? I game-overed on stage 2 just from jumps! It's not because they had great platforming level design (which, to be fair, the game does have some good platforming level design), but simply because Inti Creates fucked up the controls so badly! Yeah, I know CV3 only gives you 1 frame to correct your controls, but that 1 frame is significant! There is no window of opportunity in Curse of the Moon, so if you're not already walking left or right, you can't jump left or right -- that was not an issue in CV3!

[/rant]
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
Re: Old news, but... Curse of the Moon's stiff controls
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 03:30:07 PM »
I sense no control problem with PC and Vita versions, I don't know what exactly the situation of 3DS version is but it's sad to hear bad news like this
I've been told that 3DS version has some slowdown issue though.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 11:01:34 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 02:51:32 AM »
The final stage with the killer dust cloud has maaajor slowdown. It's not gamebreaking, since that's about all that's going on at the time.

But yeah, I tried multiple times to get Zangetsu to jump horizontally from his idle state, trying to get the D-pad and jump button presses as close together as possible without pressing the D-pad first -- in other words, I wanted strict idle-to-jump transition. It just plain wouldn't work. I could get a near instantaneous idle-to-walk-to-jump transition, but that requires strict button timing control. Someone on the CV3 team knew that was a bad idea and made sure CV3 had a idle-to-jump transition, but IC didn't pick up on it. :( If it wasn't for that, I'd enjoy the game so much more. I don't hate the game -- I think it's a good $10 spent -- but jumping irritates me more than Fire Emblem's RNG. lol
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline LuxKiller65

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • My YouTube Channel
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania 64 (N64)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
I thought the rant was about Circle of the Moon.

Tags:

anything