Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Dark Knight - What'd ya think?!  (Read 8206 times)

Offline A n t r a x x

• ~ GamersMark EIC ~
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
Re: The Dark Knight - What'd ya think?!
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »
I will definitely state this is my favorite Batman ever. Sorry I'll take a more realistic approach to comic narrative than the straight comic strip schlock we were given in the 90s. That has its place too, but I will always appreciate the more careful, artistic path.

And this is art. Amazing performances by every single cast member, although, strangely, Bale's gets drowned out a little by such stellar work from Ledger. I mean seriously, this guy was acting ahead of his years here -- stronger than I've ever seen him, and it's just a shame such talent was taken from us so soon. Heath fucking stole the show, and the standards for comic villains in big blockbuster flicks has been raised. The character felt so palpable, and this time, human; not just insane. I like when he denies that he is crazy. It shows a deeper personality and psyche.

I love how the beginning of the film showed the criminals stooping to new lowness by betraying eachother and clearly showing their disrespect for life (love how Joker just points the gun behind him and slays his comrade without so much as a glance back). And then the end bookpiece to the show where the two boats face off morally and mentally looking inside to do what is right. When the convict threw the detonator out the window, it was the little ray of hope that all is not lost.

That scene was just brilliant.

I don't like how fast they did away with Two Face, but he served his purpose to the story well as Harvey Dent which then fed the sad switch to his alter side smoothly.

I also like how this Gotham could totally exist in our time (in fact it does as Chicago), and I prefer this new realistic city as opposed to the fantasy ones of the past. I also appreciate that they put an equal anmount of focus on the citizens themselves, culminating with their triumph on the ships.

All in all, I can't wait to see what happens next, but it was a bittersweet affair in that that's the last we'll see of Heath Ledger. But then again, what a way for him to go. He'll deserve every bit of that Oscar, even if he's not here to enjoy it.

I would have liked to see a few more new gadgets, but that eye-sonar thing looks freaking sweet with the cowl. Also Batarangs weren't used enough.

Finally, I think Maggie is a cutie. :P
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 11:39:57 PM by A N T R A X X »

"Observe their fates and learn well."

Offline MDI

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 12:46:30 AM »
In Reply To #16

Well said!

Hahaha..

My mom used to work in downtown, so she was telling me about when she looked out the window and saw a bunch of cops in black uniforms just standing around outside, and she didn't know what the fuck was going on because she had no idea they were filming Dark Knight out there.

XD

Same thing with a friend of mine, he was all like "Bro, I was all like, what the fuck is Gotham City Bank?? That shit confused me man."

Hahahahah
:)

Offline Mobius

• Balls of Molten Steel
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 05:49:26 PM »
What can I say? First film was great. Second one only got better. Yes, the Joker robs every scene he sets foot in (god, I loved that opening "magic trick" he pulled for the mob) and goes down in the books easily as the quintessential menace of Gotham. But major credit has got to be handed over to Two-Face. (it spoils nothing to state he appears in the movie) His genesis forms the most thought-provoking and, some would say, tragic arc in the movie's plot. And his confrontation with the Dark Knight, while simplistic on the surface, ends up carrying the most weight in the end.

Maggie was, well, just so much freaking better than little Mrs. Tom Cruise. She was actually effective and believable as opposed to just there this time. And while I kind of suspected she was going towards the direction they took her in during this darker, heavier story, when I saw it happen it actually left me a little shocked. Well heck, the twist they gave Gordon threw everyone for a loop in the theater I attended. Proof positive that no amount of white-knuckle action can ever top good, strong storytelling.

And then there's the Batman. Christian Bale's obvious talents aside, the character goes down an extremely grueling path this time around. It almost made me feel bad for the guy. I have never been a very comic book-savvy person, let alone a Batman follower, but I gotta say this movie depicts the most tormented and burdened of heroes yet. By the time the end credits started to roll, he'd made a believer out of me. And therein lies Chris Nolan's best accomplishment with his own vision of the series: A believable and realistic Dark Knight.

"When it comes right down to it, extinguishing a living soul is as easy as blowing out a candle."

Jayster

Re: The Dark Knight - What'd ya think?!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised at how good this movie was. When I first hear Heath Ledger was the Joker I was like, "How does that work?" He definitely pulled it off though. Overall, I just like the mood of it. It's darker and the atmosphere felt a lot like it should.

Offline The Last Belmont

• Seasoned Adventurer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 11:22:51 PM »
Pretty good though too long for what they were trying to do, loved the 2 face cameo that was da shizzle.
_______________________________________ ______________

Tags: