Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: The Hobbit: TBOTFA  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Anglachel

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 05:43:30 AM »
+1
Yeah.....

"There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds." - G.K. Chesterton

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
Re. Tauriel and Kili.
This just kills the awesomeness of the Legolas Gimli friendship in lotr.
Oh, of course it does. But don't tell the Elf.

Jackson for more Tolkien novels? sure, just leave LoTR in LoTR, Character cameos and reoccurring LoTR characters is fine, but reminding us that it exists every waking moment got old quick.
Okay, that I can agree on. I'm sure it has mostly to do with that same old thing of "people who haven't seen LotR need to be informed," but in fairness everybody's bloody well seen it by now.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline K.K. Drunkinski

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
I'm sure it has mostly to do with that same old thing of "people who haven't seen LotR need to be informed," but in fairness everybody's bloody well seen it by now.

I can get that some people might enjoy getting filled in about the LotR parts, but, Tolkien wrote and published the Hobbit first, and did the LotR a while later. The Hobbit was meant to be, and was only able to be, enjoyed without reference to LotR when it first came out.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 11:39:10 PM »
I'm sure it has mostly to do with that same old thing of "people who haven't seen LotR need to be informed," but in fairness everybody's bloody well seen it by now.

On the contrary, I know a lot of people in my country who haven't seen LOTR. I was viewed weird because I loved LOTR. Then again, English is not the mother tongue.
But yeah, for the English speaking world, LOTR was viewed so many times you can actually memorize the lines, like "don't tell the Elf"  ;)

I can get that some people might enjoy getting filled in about the LotR parts, but, Tolkien wrote and published the Hobbit first, and did the LotR a while later. The Hobbit was meant to be, and was only able to be, enjoyed without reference to LotR when it first came out.

Yep, but some folks really love the references even though they are so in your face and Peter is going after that crowd. I say, Legolas was unnecessary but acceptable, and Tauriel should be eliminated.

Tags: