Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Anime & Manga Discussion Thread  (Read 24294 times)

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2013, 06:16:07 PM »
After reading through this thread, I thought I'd post my anime background.

As a kid, the first anime I ever got into was Pokemon. I randomly got a VHS tape in the mail from Nintendo promoting Pokemon in the USA before the anime and games were released over here. I got SO FREAKING EXCITED over that VHS tape, lol. I got Pokemon Red for Christmas that year and I started watching the show the first day it aired. I didn't really look into other anime at the time, since I didn't even know what anime was. It wouldn't be until two years later I discovered Sailor Moon on Toonami. I became obsessed with Sailor Moon and started watching other things on Toonami like Tenshi Muyo, Rurouni Kenshin, and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Eventually, I started watching less TV and would buy random anime DVDs or manga, depending on my mood, that looked interesting at the mall with allowance money. It was buying random anime DVDs and manga where I discovered some of my favorite anime and manga series ever like Trinity Blood, Slayers, Escaflowne, and Spiral Bonds of Reasoning.

Buying anime stuff that looked interesting to me also led me into discovering my all time favorite game, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue.

Nowadays I don't even read manga anymore...except for a few exceptions. I still watch anime, but I do it online via Crunchyroll or Hulu. Despite still watching anime, there isn't a whole lot of new stuff that excites me the way some of my older favorite shows do. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy anime quite a bit. I just don't like the new stuff as much as I do the older stuff. I'd say the last newer anime that I really, really got into was Umineko. I ended up buying the visual novel, which is TONS better than the anime, and I'm buying the manga volumes as they get released over here. Heck, I loved Umineko so much that I have a production drawing from the Umineko anime! It's only of Maria, but oh well. My Higurashi production drawings much cooler (Rika and Hanyu), but I'm excited to have my Maria drawing!  :P

I'm surprised Lelygax hasn't mentioned Umineko or Higurashi given Lelygax's avatar and signature, unless I missed it somewhere in this thread, lol.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2013, 06:58:37 PM »
You could scan these glorious things for me?

I didnt mentioned them because I've only said a part of my history. I've said more or less 1/3 of my life with animes, because its really boring to remember and type all of this.

But Umineko have a deep connection with me, since I've discovered it when it started airing in japan and then thought "cool synopsis, I really will watch this". Months later I've decided to start downloading all episodes and watched the first one, but then forgot it in my HDD, a time later I've backuped it in a DVD and let it untouched. Thats it, I've totally forgot to watch this, but this have dragged me next to it at the time and for sure did it again...

Years later I've started watching Higurashi, everything (less Rei, I've even made some DVDs for a DVD player so I could watch them on a TV, but I dont know where they are for now, my life is a mess right now so lets forget about Rei for now) and then a miracle happened: after years without launching anything, they announced Higurashi Kira.

I've watched Kira when they released it, before this I've played the Umineko VNs and then after this I've watched the anime. I was reading the manga once in a while and it blows away the anime, they should redo Umineko anime and dont let Studio Deen touch it this time, since they have destroyed even one of the most epic scenes that is Beatrice x Virgilia.

And now, they did it again, a new Higurashi OVA will be launched this year (its already launched unofficially, since some people received it as a prize in a Higurashi event in Japan and uploaded it to internet) and I'll watch it even without subs if needed.

P.S.: This guy that did this "Umineko Explained" thing called KnownNoMore in youtube is a retard, doesnt let his arguments infect your mind. If you never watched this video that Im talking about, then its better if you avoid it unless you want to laugh xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kaori

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2013, 11:31:20 PM »
You could scan these glorious things for me?

Of course!  :P

Since others might be interested, I'll post them here. I'll also go ahead and throw in my Spiral production sketches as well...in case there are other weirdos like me out there who like obscure anime/manga like Spiral.

Higurashi:
http://s64.photobucket.com/user/kuro_kaze/library/HigurashiProduction?sort=3&page=1

Umineko:
http://s64.photobucket.com/user/kuro_kaze/library/UminekoProduction?sort=3&page=1

Spiral:
http://s64.photobucket.com/user/kuro_kaze/library/SpiralProduction?sort=3&page=1

I had actually discovered the Umineko anime not too long after it came in Japan, but wouldn't actually watch it for a while. I had just figured out the name of a song I had been trying to figure out for a long time called Hanakisou. I had randomly found the song on Nico Nico Douga and ripped the song from the video. So it took some hunting, but I eventually figured out what it was. I fell in love with Akiko Shikata and searched Youtube. That's when I found Katayoku no Tori. I thought the opening looked cool, but stupid me didn't look into it at the time.

Eventually, my best friend MADE me watch Higurashi. After I eventually finished watching Higurashi, Rei, and Kai, she told me that I should watch Umineko. It had been a year or so since I found the opening at that point, but I had forgotten all about Umineko...until I heard that song. I watched like, half of Umineko in one sitting, lol. It took me about three days to finish the whole anime.

But yeah, I couldn't get enough of the Umineko anime after it ended and I had to read the visual novels after that! And so, I purchased Umineko no Naku Koro ni and Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru. I didn't regret spending $60 on both arcs, especially reading it with Witch Hunt's amazing translation. :)

EDIT: I had forgotten what Umineko explained was until I looked it up just now and then I remembered listening to that a while back and laughing at the stupidity of it as well. I haven't seen the newer Chiru explanation that he has posted, but sometime tells me I don't want to if it's as bad as his original explanation.  XD
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:57:04 PM by Kaori »

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
I haven't seen the newer Chiru explanation that he has posted, but sometime tells me I don't want to if it's as bad as his original explanation.  XD

It is and at the end he uses the most famous phrase in his favor, in the wrong way. Its so stupid and it was the only possible way that I can laugh when reading "Without love it cannot be seen".

edit: I've seen they all, its interesting that they are already colored with light and shadow markers to become animation cells. Where did you get these type of things and how many it costs? Since it seems to be very rare I bet you needed to participate a bidding.

Also its cool to discover that Deen didnt started using RETAS to do anime, at least not at this time, since it seems to be a new standard for some companies.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:44:03 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2013, 11:14:13 PM »
They have already subbed it and its available to download :D

P-OVA「ひぐらしのなく頃に 拡~アウトブレイク~」予告映像第2弾

Rozen Maiden (2013) last episode was good too, Studio Deen are really redeeming themselves after that shameful Umineko adaptation, lets hope for a sequel since this Rozen Maiden season ended in a wonderful cliffhanger.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:44:13 PM by Lelygax »
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2013, 02:55:07 AM »
Watching Viper's Creed this week. It's too episodic for my tastes, but it has a lot of influences on it, I think. The show reminds me so much of a mash-up of various mech anime and games like Front Mission, Quovadis, Future Cop: LAPD, and Masamune Shirow's stuff. Of course that's all because Shinji Aramaki worked on VC (if you liked BGC2040, the mechs in VC will feel familiar). The show really does feel like a spot-the-tropes game to me. I hope the series gets better -- I'm only on episode 7 -- but as I said, so far it's very episodic. At a glance on the wiki, it sounds like there is a climax to the series, which means at some point there has to be an underlining plot too. I shall see. Oh, and the opening song was by Koji Nakamura. I geeked out when I heard it cuz I immediately recognized the voice of Supercar's singer.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:57:56 AM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
Seems to be awesome, its new?

I've watched Danganronpa The Animation, Inu to Hasami and some others animes with complicated names from the last season of animes xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2013, 10:04:50 PM »
Viper's Creed was okay. Would have been better if they developed the characters more.
(click to show/hide)
It did pick up by the end, though.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
Just finished watching Death Note. Liked the ending, but obvious remark has got to be made.

(click to show/hide)
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline TheouAegis

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
Heh. This is ooooooolllld news for me by about six or seven years, but...

I went out and bought sukiyaki sauce after watching some episodes of Astrofighter Sunred. Those of you that love the series would understand.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2013, 08:33:04 PM »
So I finished rereading all 10 volumes of the Hellsing manga. It's caused the Hellsing Ultimate OVA, which I already loved, to go up several notches in my estimation. The dub translation in the OVA feels a lot less clunky than that in the Dark Horse translation of the manga. And Hirano's art style was fairly crude for the first 2 volumes. Plus some of the pacing changes in the OVA (like working it so that the Alhambra and Rip Van Winkle fights are finished in single volumes rather than being left on "cliffhangers") that I had originally disliked were, in retrospect, good calls. Still one of my absolute favorite mangas though.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 08:34:46 PM by Ratty »

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
Got a Crunchyroll 30-day trial to catch up on Kill la Kill on my PS3. (1080p, yo.) Probably gonna watch Attack on Titan while I'm at it, and also periodically watching an episode or two of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt—dubbed in this case, because the Powerpuff Girls style drawings are really fun to look at, and the show's so fast-paced it's difficult to read and look at the same time. That and I think the dub is even funnier because it's filled with so many expletives and raunchy jokes, even more so than the subbed version, that it really fits the over-the-top nature of the show.

One of these days I'll resume Tekkaman Blade, Fist of the North Star, and Slayers.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
Tekkaman blade is super manly, my friend 8) U gotta watch it 8)

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

anything