Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: What game(s) have you been playing lately?  (Read 584656 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Re: What game(s) have you been playing lately?
« Reply #1725 on: August 17, 2019, 04:39:20 PM »
Metroid Prime Trilogy, except it has KB+M FPS controls (Here in action), It plays exceptionally well and I hope the Trilogy gets ported to the switch with a modern control scheme, maybe Prime 4 can bring some popularity towards FPS Metroidvanias or even 3D Metroidvanias in  general.

Next one's a treat; Ion Maiden Fury, Build Engine brought back from the grave to deliver a true throwback FPS, Now it's done and Controller support/Console ports are in the future.
The sheer detail and adrenaline pumping action is something to behold.

Monster Boy is something I've recently completed, Amazing title and I hope it gets more traction, has some of the best music this year.

(Anyone playing No Man's Sky in it's current state? Is it worth it?)

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1726 on: September 02, 2019, 10:44:28 AM »
I recently bought the Contra collection for the Switch. It's a nice collection! And I'm also glad the artist for many of Konami's games was able to be included in the interview section of the book. He's been incognito long enough and deserves the credit he is long over due for. Although now that I think about it Contra 4 should have been included in this collection too. That game deserves a big screen adaption.

Monster Boy is something I've recently completed, Amazing title and I hope it gets more traction, has some of the best music this year.

Also finished this one too. While the game was good the difficulty in terms of the killer stage puzzles and some enemies felt a little too imbalanced and too numerous. So much so you felt like you couldn't catch a break. And going back to collect stuff I missed certainly wasn't something I looked forward to doing. The game was fine -until the Volcano stage rolled around- and then things became difficult way too quickly. There was no gradual progression. Almost as if someone told you to survive and then promptly pushed you off a high cliff :P

If they do another title of this series hopefully they'll learn to take things in stride with the players and balance out the difficulty just a bit.

UPDATE!

Borderlands 3. F@#K! YES! I'm having a blast with this game. I almost never took a break from it all day cause I was enjoying it so much. This game is what the Pre-Sequel could have been if it was not handled by 2K Australia. That company simply did not get the kind of humour that was expected of borderlands fans. Instead they made fun of their own accents. That, and it was much shorter then Borderlands 2. add on top of those issues the enemy EXP was very imbalanced making it very tedious to level up and you couldn't level up quick enough, not even at the final area. The 'Tails' game brought back the humour (thank god) but it wasn't a first person shoot'em up game. Now we got both back for this title.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:12:19 AM by X »
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #1727 on: September 26, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »
FINALLY gathered last few steam achievements of Mighty Gunvolt Burst. Then I was trying to run Luminous Avenger iX on my laptop but it just failed to boot. Damn modern gaming for forcing someone to buy/build an all-new computer...

EDIT: It's a problem with the game's initial boot up and can be easily fixed by inserting the .ini config file from others. Now it runs perfectly fine except for the final boss who gives me some random frame drops.

Luminous Avenger iX is an amazing game and will be the major smash hit in early October though Acura/Copen doesn't have double jumps and his air dash just won't work when encountered dangerous thunder attacks from final boss. The content and game design seems like it's meant to make someone finish all the achievements and main content in one day and that day could be their most enjoyable day ever.

EDIT: Hell...never know that score attack mode would be so damn merciless... it's essentially level one cap mode (think level one cap mode in PoR but without enhance skills or stock potions) which I've heard that it unlocks the last piece of Cross symbol at title screen - I know challenges are good but holy damn please show us some mercy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:00:32 PM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #1728 on: October 03, 2019, 09:07:42 PM »
If you tell me Luminous Avenger iX is not-so button mashy or repetitive, I'll bite (the promo material REALLY doesn't help).

Oh boy, Breath of The Wild. I was NOT prepared and STILL have sunken more time than any other game at this point. Sure the game has flaws but damn it does such a great job making nearly every accomplishment satisfying, Run in any random direction and find yourself doing something, The open world itself is just so well crafted and as truly an experience of freedom. Flaws and all it totally lives up to it's hype. BotW2 has me quite afraid because time is more limited as an adult (and I can easily see myself pour more weeks worth into the first game itself).

It's design has inspired me, but I've learned from the past, so no guarantees until something tangible comes into play.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1729 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:02 PM »
Currently ran into blazing hot discussion regarding Mega Man X6 Tweak patcher in other forums, will provide them modified title screens if I had such spare time or skills acediez explained to me how the title screen works and I doubt the modify process would be too complicated.  Test versions after 2.0 are enough to make it a totally separate game, really looking forward to its formal release at romhacking.net.

Now I'm on a quest of hunting those modern metroidvanias I ignored purposely after the launch of Mighty Gunvolt Burst Steam port, also looking forward to release of Gensokyo Night Festival

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 12:28:36 AM by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #1730 on: October 04, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »
Did my first play-through of Borderlands 3. While the game's enjoyable there seems to be a lot of issues with it, which is a damned shame as so many people were waiting for this one for quite some time. Hopefully when it's re-released later on with all the DLC they'll have the problems ironed out *cross's fingers*
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1731 on: October 12, 2019, 03:52:49 PM »
Currently ran into blazing hot discussion regarding Mega Man X6 Tweak patcher in other forums, will provide them modified title screens if I had such spare time or skills acediez explained to me how the title screen works and I doubt the modify process would be too complicated.  Test versions after 2.0 are enough to make it a totally separate game, really looking forward to its formal release at romhacking.net.

Now I'm on a quest of hunting those modern metroidvanias I ignored purposely after the launch of Mighty Gunvolt Burst Steam port, also looking forward to release of Gensokyo Night Festival

MMX6 tweak patcher is getting an update? SWEET! Now it's going to be hell getting that rom again since the 2.0 specification can only be found in obscure means. My time with it was the best time with X6 ever.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is good, be sure to have an auto-fire button handy though.

Offline Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1732 on: October 12, 2019, 04:54:59 PM »
MMX6 tweak patcher is getting an update? SWEET! Now it's going to be hell getting that rom again since the 2.0 specification can only be found in obscure means. My time with it was the best time with X6 ever.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst is good, be sure to have an auto-fire button handy though.

Mega Man X6 Tweaks Patcher 2.0 WIP discussion boards

It's currently in WIP state and it seems acediez has something more to be planned for the tweaks patcher (boss attack speed, indestructible boss projectiles, etc.) I contributed title screen graphic data from an obscure PC version and acediez got it implemented in the latest WIP as one of the localization options.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 05:12:16 PM by Aceearly1993 »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1733 on: October 13, 2019, 10:58:35 AM »
Bought Dragon Quest XI definitive edition for the Switch several days ago. I also bought the online re-releases of Dragon Quest's I, II, and III. They're the Super Famicom versions so the graphics are up to par with other 16-bit RPGs of the time. Minus the off-scaled characters of course. They look kinda odd and clash somewhat with the older graphics. Not sure why they decided that was the way to go... But I've been waiting a while for these three games to be released and not have to worry about messing around with rom glitches.

-UPDATE-

Finally knuckled-down and bought the Castlevania Legacy collection. The controls aren't as bad as I thought they'd be. All I had to do was move my thumb over to the last two buttons and I could easily button-mash from there. SCV4 I had no problems with in terms of controls as the in-game menu allowed me to button-map to my play-style as I would with the original SNES title.
Besides that I also picked up Timespinner. What a strange game. It almost felt like Axiom Verge in terms of the alien environment as I played through it. That was until I went into the past. The graphics are gorgeous (though dark and gritty sometimes) are colourful. It has that fantasy-Sci-Fi look to it while touching upon a little bit of Victorian era-Jules Verne-ish style for some of the areas. I think I'll pick up BlazeChrome sometime soon as it looked awesome as well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:59:57 AM by X »

Offline GuyStarwind

• Lawful Good
  • Master Hunter
  • Shahrukh Khan is the greatest actor out there
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Crappy Brown Jacket Films
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #1734 on: December 09, 2019, 09:19:34 PM »
My recent games have been Three Houses (I've played all routes but am waiting for all the dlc to come out before I play it again. I loved it though.), Link's Awakening (Fun fact, Link's Awakening was my first Zelda on the first video game system (original Game Boy) that was officially mine. Yes, I knew what Zelda was and had seen the old games played but Link's Awakening was first one I personally played.), and I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate on Switch (I've played it before, but it's a wonderful game).

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1735 on: December 10, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
I also played Link's awakening too. It still is a good game, though I could no longer exploit my 'tricks of the trade' as the Switch remake has the game's engine completely rebuilt. The graphics kinda reminded me of Donkey Kong Country, but unfortunately are heavily glossed and a bit to cartoony/rubbery for my liking. The only other thing I didn't like is them redoing the character art style so that it matches up with the Oracle of Ages/Seasons games. So the game is no longer the sequel to A Link to the Past as it should be. We can blame the fans for that transgression as the only connection they ever made was at the end of the Oracle games Link left on a ship bound for Hyrule. And the ship didn't even look the same either. Shigeru Miyamoto should've stuck to his guns rather then listen to the fans on that one  :rollseyes:

Offline Hiryu

• Forgotten One
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1736 on: December 16, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »
I loved the original Link's Awakening on Game Boy. Such a melancholy game to experience when you're a kid. It's probably in my top ten.

Playing FFXIII after all this time. I'm in Chapter 11 and it's a lot of grind, cutscene, repeat. It's a beautiful looking game, but feels soulless. I might shelve it to get a FFVII playthrough in before Remake, which looks A-maz-ing.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1737 on: December 18, 2019, 05:15:46 PM »
Battletech :cool:

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #1738 on: December 22, 2019, 07:21:05 PM »
Just played a custom Doom II wad. It's from the Cabal series; Image of Evil, I think it's called. The whole map looks like a detailed face of the devil. Good times.

I eventually want to make my way to other stuff, like Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Eviternity, etc.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Bloodreign

• Old school and nothing but old school
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • The Best
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #1739 on: January 26, 2020, 03:48:18 AM »
Ganbare Goemon 2 and 3 SFC, they finally have English translation patches, just waiting for the 4th SFC games patch to be released, as well as the Ebisumaru puzzle spinoff's English patch. The latter's patch is done, but will be released with the 4th games patch. It's been 2 days now, since the first SFC Goemon patches dropped on romhacking.net.

Tags:

anything