Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: <title changed>Sypha may have been meant to use spells all the time  (Read 2450 times)

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
This may seem like a stupid question, but while looking through the graphics in Castlevania III on the NES, I noticed Sypha has sprites for casting spells while ducking. You can't press up and duck at the same time, right? Or is there some other means of casting a spell while using the ducking sprite as Sypha? And no, this wasn't a case of improperly ripping sprites, this was using in-game sprite data.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2021, 01:49:28 AM by TheouAegis »
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Is it possible to duck and cast magic as Sypha? (CV3)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 04:11:01 PM »
I don't know if this is the case in Castlevania 3, but in Cv1 if you were to jump from a big height and pressed attack just as you were to land you'd whip while crouching. I haven't played in a while so I don't know if the same happens if you use subweapons, or if this carried over to Castlevania 3.

But hey, just throwing suggestions.
Gotta get away

Offline TheouAegis

• Amateur Auteur of GMvania
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • GMvania Developer's Blog
    • Awards
Re: Is it possible to duck and cast magic as Sypha? (CV3)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 01:46:56 AM »
I don't know if this is the case in Castlevania 3, but in Cv1 if you were to jump from a big height and pressed attack just as you were to land you'd whip while crouching. I haven't played in a while so I don't know if the same happens if you use subweapons, or if this carried over to Castlevania 3.

But hey, just throwing suggestions.

Suggestions are good! But this one doesn't appear to be the case. Performing any attack in air makes you go to the standing attacks, although the moment you land it goes into the ducking sprite, which creates a visual glitch where Trevor's hand is disconnected from the whip. If this really was a thing in CV1, then they "fixed" it in CV3. But none the less I appreciate the suggestion.  ;D

I found the sprite animation data eventually after trying your suggestion. I think this sprite was from a removed feature. Maybe Sypha was supposed to use spells by default? Anyway, I first found the actual reference to the sprite. These are the animation tables for spell sprites:
Code: [Select]
34082C10FF  ; standing spell (2 frames)
36082E10FF  ; ducking spell (2 frames)
380830100A01FF  ; stair down spell (3 frames)
3A0832100C01FF  ; stair up spell (3 frames)
I just needed to figure out how to access it. So I tried tracing the references to that data and it's inside the Item/Spell Use sprite change subroutine. Sweetness! So I traced that and found the next set of data that it used to decide which animation to use. It's basically a map of each spell-casting state Sypha can be in:
Code: [Select]
20 00  ; standing spell state, use animation #00
22 00  ; jumping spell state, use animation #00
1C 02  ; ducking attack state, use animation #02
24 04  ; stair down spell state, use animation #04
24 06  ; stair up spell state, use animation #06

I figured I must have messed up earlier when I studied Sypha's code and double-checked if state #1C really was the ducking attack state. Yup, it is. So the sprite itself is actually mapped to Sypha's ducking attack, but her attack states use a different set of animations. I guess the sprite can't be accessed normally after all.  :'(

Oh well, it's the willingness to help that counts.  ;)
Your mom has had more floppies put in her than a Commodore 64!

Follow my lack of progress on my game at my blog:
http://gmvania.blogspot.com

Tags:

anything