Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania in 2015  (Read 92317 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »
It's only been about 10 months. Give it time. After how badly Mirror of Fate and LoS2 did, I'm not surprised they're staying a bit quiet on it. Castlevania was doing yearly releases for a really long time, and as a result they were mostly samey (despite being actually good and polished games). And then there was the whole era of badly received games.

-Judgment, the fighting game with good intentions but terrible execution.
-Harmony of Despair, the online multiplayer Castlevania that was essentially Frankenstein's creature, lazily made from pieces of other games.
-Lords of Shadow, the actually good game that was unfortunately too much of other games and not enough Castlevania.
-Mirror of Fate, the extremely short 2D Castlevania that still wasn't very Castlevania.
-And LoS2, the extremely underwhelming ending to the LoS trilogy and was ultimately the worst of the three games, and considered by many to be one of, if not the worst game in the series.

So basically, after a killer streak like that, I think they're probably playing it safe and giving the series a bit of time to cool off for now.

If you guys want some Metroidvania goodness, though, go have a look at Chasm. It captures the Metroidvania feel far more than any other game that has attempted thus far.
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »
It's only been about 10 months. Give it time. After how badly Mirror of Fate and LoS2 did, I'm not surprised they're staying a bit quiet on it. Castlevania was doing yearly releases for a really long time, and as a result they were mostly samey (despite being actually good and polished games). And then there was the whole era of badly received games.

-Judgment, the fighting game with good intentions but terrible execution.
-Harmony of Despair, the online multiplayer Castlevania that was essentially Frankenstein's creature, lazily made from pieces of other games.
-Lords of Shadow, the actually good game that was unfortunately too much of other games and not enough Castlevania.
-Mirror of Fate, the extremely short 2D Castlevania that still wasn't very Castlevania.
-And LoS2, the extremely underwhelming ending to the LoS trilogy and was ultimately the worst of the three games, and considered by many to be one of, if not the worst game in the series.

So basically, after a killer streak like that, I think they're probably playing it safe and giving the series a bit of time to cool off for now.

If you guys want some Metroidvania goodness, though, go have a look at Chasm. It captures the Metroidvania feel far more than any other game that has attempted thus far.

I think that sometime Castlevania needs a fire emblem awakening under it's belt.
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 10:28:27 PM »

I wouldn't call it a metroidvania because that term only applies to Castlevanias' that play like Metroid; Metroid + Castlevania = Metroidvania. Hence the term. Yeah I know I'm being nit-picky. Just FYI though.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:47 PM »
Soul Ares 2 - gameplay

At least there are crappy IOS rip-off games like this one (which Paavo clued me in, on).
Complete with MIDI Rip-off of what, I believe, are "Sinking Old Sanctuary" and "Picture of the Ghost Ship", with some phone-synth-MIDI instrument changes.

Rejoice in poor controls, blatantly stolen graphics (check out that SavePoint, does it remind you of anything?), and other shenanigans. :P

This is straight up illegal isn't it? Oh well that's the iPhone gaming scene, full of ripoffs that for whatever reason makes shit ton of money, quality be damned.

Huh, now that I think about it, it's no different than the current AAA gaming market.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 05:00:13 AM »
+2
I admit this is an easy one, but I rather have iOS/Android vania than more Lords of Shadow. And I'm not saying that just to be snarky, since it could have a couple of advantages. There might be more room for niche series like Castlevania, which lessens the risk of misguided attempts to replace old fanbases with larger ones.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:11:07 AM by Nagumo »

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2014, 06:11:43 AM »
It's over. For some reason Castlevania has always been like the bastard stepchild when compared to other conceived gaming legends like Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda,and even Kirby.

Probably for the same reason Simon Belmont has never been featured in a Smash Bros. title.

If something new does happen, it ill mostly happen on one of the Nintendo consoles and it probably won't be next year unfortunately. I would be really surprised.

Nintendo needs to take a more active interest in the series again maybe for good.

Personally I would like for WayForward to do a 2D title in the visual style of BloodRayne Betrayal.

I also been clamoring for at least next gen release of a complication disk with all the titles on it for a while, but that is just a fan-boy dream that won't ever happen...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 06:13:31 AM by darkmanx_429 »

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Zetheraxza

• Vampire Hunter
  • Romantically Justified...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
Castlevania and I had a good run for 9 years. Unfortunately, Castlevania is no longer on my top list. I have replaced that with Metal Gear Solid. Now that I look at it, it is such a weird series and it has survived for all these years but the series itself was a creature of chaos which really had no true form. When it did satisfy the fanbase, it didn't had a good enough income but when they gave their all to give it something new and fresh, it sliced the fan base in half. The series has mutated in so many ways now, from 2D to 3D that were decent, mixed or just plain bad. If anything, let it rest in its slumber for a little while longer. If the new game looks good, then hey. It may reignite my hype once more but i'll still buy and play it. I've been a fan for a long time so it is part of me, but do I care about Castlevania like I used to? No. Give me a good 2D or a 3D. Look, 3D games are the market now, and its okay but if they're going the 3D path, give me MGSV with Castlevania Skin. Open world, replace mother base with Belmont's Fortress/churches and everything. Or same idea but 2D.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »
Castlevania and I had a good run for 9 years. Unfortunately, Castlevania is no longer on my top list. I have replaced that with Metal Gear Solid. Now that I look at it, it is such a weird series and it has survived for all these years but the series itself was a creature of chaos which really had no true form. When it did satisfy the fanbase, it didn't had a good enough income but when they gave their all to give it something new and fresh, it sliced the fan base in half. The series has mutated in so many ways now, from 2D to 3D that were decent, mixed or just plain bad. If anything, let it rest in its slumber for a little while longer. If the new game looks good, then hey. It may reignite my hype once more but i'll still buy and play it. I've been a fan for a long time so it is part of me, but do I care about Castlevania like I used to? No. Give me a good 2D or a 3D. Look, 3D games are the market now, and its okay but if they're going the 3D path, give me MGSV with Castlevania Skin. Open world, replace mother base with Belmont's Fortress/churches and everything. Or same idea but 2D.
Personally, I don't care for a "MGSV with a Castlevania Skin". Hence comes the inevitable plays like MGS syndrome.

No, keep the Rondo or SOTN formula's and translate that into a 3D world. I think the closest that I cared for was Lament of Innocence/Curse of Darkness, but it they were far from perfect but closer to the original series than anything Mercurystream gave us now.

I wouldn't mind them expanding on the Curse of Darkness template. Or if possible go back to the action oriented original games like Rondo or SCV4 template. Go through the stage, defeat the boss, rinse, repeat but in 3D. Just don't fall into the plays like" DMC" trap.

And please, no more GOW button sequences. They are so played out, and they kill the immersive interactive experience in games for me.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Rugal

• I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Master Hunter
  • I SHALL DEVOUR
  • Awards A master of sarcasm whose words often drip with satire and cynicism. Will make a staunch stand on one subject and never, ever budge. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 01:37:12 PM »
+3
I'd rather not have Castlevania if they are going to make iphone games from them. Castlevania needs precision controls.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow sucks
DmC: Devil may Cry is the equivalent of trailer trash
"badly designed fat left on Lords of Shadow 2's bones."

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
I don't think we'll get anything before a big event (either E3 or TGS). LoS2 was released less than a year ago, and they need time to start developing a new game, or to find a new studio to replace MS. I don't think we'll get anything before next summer. (Speculation only)

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Hmm I'm not looking forward to anything CV related in 2015.Sadly the series is pretty much dead to me, and nothing could change that, not even Iga's rumored game that got cancelled. The only thing that is left for me is to replay the old titles. I'm not remotely interested in playing any of the LoS games, because they didn't live up to Castlevania's name imo. And if Konami plans on making something similar in the future then no I'm not interested. I'd rather they stopped making CV games and let the series die altogether. Although I think mobile games can be an interesting solution if they plan on making 2d cv games.

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 04:33:33 PM »
+2
Castlevania Harmony of Despair 2
iOS exclusive
Create a castle mode that lets you edit enemy placement, stage hazzards etc.
Share castle stages online
Microtransactions out the ass

There I just saved Castlevania in the most realistic and likely way possible.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 01:53:49 AM »
Just Kickstart something and I'll gladly pay for it.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 06:35:28 AM »
+2
Maybe if Konami talked to Yacht Club or something... Shovel Knight was universally praised and I bet they'd be honoured to do a sidescrolling Castlevania, even if it's only as a download on 3DS. I'd like to see it done in a more 16-bit style than Shovel Knight though. I'm sure they'd be able to pull it off brilliantly.

But if Konami would ever outsource again they'd probably give Castlevania to some unknown studio with a terrible track record again. Cause why set the bar higher? Why turn to actual TALENT when you can hire a studio that had made zero good games in the past?

Offline piscesdreams

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »
The best hope that I have is for a few fangames that look quality. LOS was a good game but lacked much of the Castlevania feel, imo. But I would like to see a return to form with a new 2d game. Honestly, my biggest hope is for an HD remaster of Super Castlevania IV.

Tags: