AuraTeam's ''Dragon's Breath''
0 (0%)
Jatin AT's "Snake Candle"
0 (0%)
Jatin AT's "Skull Lantern"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: November 01, 2015, 01:16:39 AM

Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: October 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest  (Read 24937 times)

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
Re: October 2015 Castlevania Dungeon Sprite Contest
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline Donoffrio

• ladadee~
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - First Place 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 2nd Place Award One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
Leave it to Drac9 to smear the contest thread with his puns..again.

lol

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2015, 08:51:30 PM »
do i have to get the simon belmont face

because i will get the simon belmont face

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Birth, Death and Rebirth... Everything is a cycle.
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:59 AM »

I'm just calling this one as Flameballs of Doom thanks to plot's response. If you want to change the name, post a reply here.

LESS THAN 24 HOURS LEFT!

Offline AuraTeam

• Hunter in Training
  • God cooked my dinner once again
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 2nd Place 2015 -  Christmas Award 2nd Place
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2015, 08:01:48 AM »
I want to ask that the deadline of submission is ended or not :)

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
  • Awards May 2017 Sprite Contest Second Place 2015-02-Sprite Contest 1st Place
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:19 PM »
A searing headache?

Lam just go die

plz
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2015, 05:13:42 PM »
I'll judge this, but will be late to do so.
Halloween's a busy time for me.  Plus, my dad is visiting from S.America so that's taking up my time as well.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Sprite Contest Silver Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2015, 02:11:34 AM »
@AuraTeam: The deadline for entering this contest has ended (please look at the time stamp of the message). Please vote for your favorite sprite and wait for the final judgment of the judges.

Jorge: It's ok. We can all wait. :)
Cool! Enjoy your time with your dad.

The score tally will be in a later post when all the judging is done.

As for the next contest, please wait until further notice. Use this November as a break.

Offline Donoffrio

• ladadee~
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - First Place 2014-10-Halloween Sprite Contest 2nd Place Award One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:27 AM »
Silly question but, is it okay if I vote my own entries? Lol

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2015, 01:40:34 PM »

Because I haven't before.

Also, my time has come.
UPON THE COMPLETION OF ITS STATEMENT, THE BLOOD MONKEY LEAPS TOWARDS YOU, BARING TEETH. IT IS TOO LATE FOR YOU.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2015, 07:30:12 PM »
Do we want to save all our judging somewhere and post them all at once, or just post as we get 'em done?

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2015, 12:40:54 AM »

hehe. Yes.

Do we want to save all our judging somewhere and post them all at once, or just post as we get 'em done?

When you are done, please post them.  :)

Offline Shiroi Koumori

• Guardian of the Night
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
    • My DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2015, 01:24:51 AM »
The poll's results are as follows:
1st theplottwist's "Limestone Dragon"
2nd Dracula9's "Flameballs of Doom" and Donoffrio's ''Save Statue of Death''

We are now waiting for the judges to post their top 3.

Offline theANdROId

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
Apologies for the delay.  Though I did have things going on this week, none of it truly kept me from writing my judgments...I just plum forgot. :-/  Sorry!  Here they are though:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First Place:
Drac 9 -- Searing Headache
- I love this!  I think this idea goes right along with the creepy yet kooky world of Castlevania.  I can picture it in a CV game, (through it seems like it’d be the kind of thing you’d find once in the game :-/ sadly)  I can imagine it crumbling when whipped though and I think it would look great lining the halls of an underground caverns area.  Great job!

Second Place:
Theplottwist -- The Mermaid
- Fantastic work!  Of your entries, I think I like this one the best.  Compared to the other two, it seems more likely that this one would be used throughout a CV game, perhaps as the torch you’d whip to find upgrades or spells.

Third Place:
AuraTeam -- Hanging Light Man
- I like this entry a lot, and the best out of your entries.  It’s simple, but I think that’s what I like about it.  I can easily imagine this hanging every few inches along the walls of a CV game, along with the “exploding” bones that usually accompanies the death of skeleton enemies.  The animation seems good too.

Other thoughts:
Drac9:
Flameballs of Doom
- This looks fantastic!  The design on the wings looks very much like stone and the detail to the rest of you have is pretty intricate.  Obviously it’s missing something (since you didn’t get to finish it) but some sort of base would have made it look a little more complete.  Still, it’s awesome, and I hope you can (and do!) finish it!

Jop:
Pumpkin Liberty
- This is both cool and hilarious!  (Hilarious because I think the whole idea of Pumpkin is hilarious, but I love him!)  I think the head looks really great, though the flame and body look a little odd.  I don’t recall there being much detail to Pumpkin’s body, which may what seems strange.  The flame is animated nicely, but its shape seems odd due to the small size.  Well done overall though!

Turn on the Lights
- This is cute!  Based on the animation I imagine it wouldn’t be destroyable, but it would still be neat, whether you can interact with it or it’s merely for aesthetics!

Legends
- I really like this idea!  It looks like some sort of centerpiece (like the bloody fountain in Olrox’s Quarters in SotN).  Unfortunately, I find it really hard to distinguish the characteristics of each “legend”.  I don’t know if it’s the size, or color scheme, or complexity of your idea.  Still, I think the idea itself is amazing!  You should use it somewhere.

Donoffrio
Save Statue of Death
- Nice!  I actually didn’t realize that the wings were different until I looked closer to judge it!  Great detail on the wings, and I like the stones around the base as well.  I’m certainly no expert, but she does seem a bit too “shiny” though.

Gargoyle’s Cauldron
- Great job!  Whether or not it was intended, this also looks like a save statue.  The animation of the flame is nice, though I still feel as if the statue is a little shiny.  The patches of light look good, but seem too bright or something.  Still, both pieces you submitted are awesome!

Theplottwist
Flaming Horse
- Neat!  The animation on this looks great!  Personally, I have a hard time picturing this in a CV game, but it’s still well made.

Limestone Dragon
- The lighting on this piece looks incredible!  Very well made!

AuraTeam
Dragon’s Breath
- A well done piece, but it makes me wish it were a little bigger.  It looks great, but I think a larger column would make this piece look better.

Jatin AT
Snake Candle
- This is a nice piece, but I think it could use a little more attention with a few things.  The clasp-like bottom makes this entry look more like it should be some sort of chandelier, hanging from the ceiling.  That would be awesome, but if that’s the intent I think it should have been flipped – but flipped or not is no biggie.  The snakes are a little hard to distinguish, but not bad.  They look like cobras…maybe try to make their hoods a little larger/wider.  The flame animation also seems abrupt in the way it “jumps” back to a large flame.  I think this is a fantastic start, but still needs some minor edits!  Good job!

Skull Lantern
- Your lantern is very well done, but to me it doesn’t look like it would fit in the CV universe.  The loops should meet differently if this lantern is hanging somewhere, but otherwise this is a nice piece!

Offline BLOOD MONKEY

• rrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • Master Hunter
  • BEWARE, I LIVE
    • twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
1st place: Donoffrio's "Save Statue of Death"

The lighting and hue shifting in this peice is really nice. The colors stand out, making it easy to tell it's different. And it would defenitely work well as a trap. The overall concept is really neat. There isn't much more to say about it other than dragging on about what I already said.

2nd place: theplottwist's "Limestone Dragon"

I really love the way this looks. It's very creative. The way the lighting affects the dragon is a nice touch, especially with it being multiple fires. It does look a little odd on the proportions though.

3rd place: Dracula9's "Flameballs of Doom"

This looks like it would be amazing. As large as it is already, it would be really nice to see. Again, the lighting looks really cool, especially on the inside of the wings. It also looks a little creapy. Like you'd expect it to move. The only reason it didn't place higher is because it's unfinished.

Other thoughts:

Dracula9's "Searing Headache"

It's funny. And it looks pretty nice. Some animation would be cool.

Jop's "Pumpkin Liberty"

This one just looks really... weird.

Jop's "Turn on the Lights"

Heheh. It's cute, and the concept is nice. The way you shaded it makes it look really flat.

Jop's "Legends"

It looks very cluttered. The details are impossible to make out.

Donoffrio's ''Gargoyle's Cauldron''

I like it, but it seems lacking in color.

theplottwist's "Flaming Horse"

Not much wrong with this one, but it doesn't seem very creative.

theplottwist's "The Mermaid"

Same issues as with the horse.

AuraTeam's "Hanging Light Man"

It looks very similiar to Jop's skeleton entry. It also looks very uninspired.

AuraTeam's ''Dragon's Breath''

It looks a little flat, and I feel it uses too many colors.

Jatin AT's "Snake Candle"

The light doesnt affect the object at all, and it looks very odd. It could also use some more contrast between different colors.

Jatin AT's "Skull Lantern"

This looks like it was scribbled out in a couple of minutes. It also suffers from terrible pillowshading.