Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: New Castlevania Season  (Read 32189 times)

Offline spazzy_d

• Awards
Re: New Castlevania Season
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2021, 06:59:13 PM »
I think I recall that they said something along the lines of "It's hard to balance out four main characters" or something like that in one interview, but I can't seem to find it. Which is still bullshit considering what they did with St. Germain and a few other characters. But yeah, Ellis hating Grant is pretty much the biggest reason for it. Which is more egregious considering how changed up characters like Isaac, St. Germain and even the main cast are. With how shoehorned other characters are it's curious how he still sees Grant solely as "pirate on a landlocked country, how silly lol" and couldn't even bother to make rework him into a character that would work for the show.

Well we got Grant... sort of. I mean, Greta of Danesti was clearly a gender swapped version of the character. I would have preferred Grant to be, well, Grant, but hey, it's more than I thought we would get.

Offline Holy Diver

• Have been down too long in the midnight seas
  • Vampire Hunter
  • You probably don't know what I mean tho
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2021, 06:32:01 AM »
Dunno man it's just not the same for me.
She kind of is Grant without the shaft, but then again she also isn't. She has some qualities Grant would have had and represents his character to an extent, but with her not having the same role in the story it just ain't it. If she was introduced pre-season 3 I wouldn't mind, but throwing her in the last season is just... Dunno man... Seems like the writters were like: "Fine, have Grant for fucks sake, there he is, just get off my fucking neck"
Gotta get away

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2021, 09:28:03 AM »
Well we got Grant... sort of. I mean, Greta of Danesti was clearly a gender swapped version of the character. I would have preferred Grant to be, well, Grant, but hey, it's more than I thought we would get.

The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline SecretWeapon

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2021, 03:16:08 PM »
If they said that... they're lying cuz gurl... you don't end with Greta of Danasti, the leader in Wallachia reconstruction efforts by accident.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2021, 06:19:53 PM »
+1
If they said that... they're lying cuz gurl... you don't end with Greta of Danasti, the leader in Wallachia reconstruction efforts by accident.

Everyone I showed this to agrees with you. Why would they say that? What is so fun about denying something so obvious?

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2021, 12:24:25 PM »
Konami might have also got Grant's last name from the real life village with different spelling, just like how they got the name Elisabeth Bartley from a real historical figure Elisabeth Bathory or Mathias Cronqvist from the name of King of Hungary Matthias Corvinus.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2021, 12:43:07 PM »
Konami might have also got Grant's last name from the real life village with different spelling, just like how they got the name Elisabeth Bartley from a real historical figure Elisabeth Bathory or Mathias Cronqvist from the name of King of Hungary Matthias Corvinus.

I hope to not come off as an asshole if I quote myself:

(click to show/hide)

Could Konami have based themselves on the town name? Yeah. Is it likely given that Grant is portrayed as actual enemy of Dracula in the game, and there was an actual "House Danesti political enemy of Vlad III" at the time Vlad existed? On my opinion, no.

Still- Even if Konami DID base Grant's name on the town, "House Danesti opponent of Vlad III" seems way more important than "romanian town name". This is a wikipedia search away, which is why I think these guys know this, but insist on the "town name" thing to downplay the actual historical importance of the Danesti. Funny when you consider they wanted it to be so "accurate" to the time period. But of course, this is just one of many details that, to me, suggest they just want to bury Grant.

Even burying the character is fine by me, what is not is the constant provocation. One thing is "we are not having Grant, sorry fans!", another is "we are not having Grant AND we are also making fun of those who want him, they're so silly right?!" also "Oh and this character is obviously portrayed to be a Grant stand-in? Not Grant lmao".
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 01:06:21 PM by theplottwist »

Offline VladOfWallachia

• Vampire Hunter
    • Carpathian Night
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:03 AM »
New season announced?

During Netflix GEEKED week, the creative team behind Castlevania confirmed that the show's universe is getting even bigger, with a new series on the way centering on Richter Belmont (the son of Sypha and Trevor) and Maria Renard, set in 1792 Paris during the French Revolution. The time period has been used a few times in the games, with Castlevania: Rondo of Blood taking place in 1792 and the events of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night happening five years later.

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/netflix-announces-new-castlevania-series/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:26:05 AM by VladOfWallachia »

Offline angevil

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »
I am glad they will make more episodes. I would like Soma and Julius season, I loved the sorrow series. It could start with the 1999 battle.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2021, 10:28:50 AM »
I hope they confused the word “son” with “ancestor,” or else that wouldn’t make much sense at all

I expect to see an original big bad villain instead of Dracula. With the way Season 4 ended, I can’t see him still holding a centuries-long grudge against humanity. I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t even in the series at all

Perhaps Olrox will take his place. A plot where he & his vampire/demon cohorts attempt to restore the castle, Shaft may appear but maybe with different motives, etc.

Either way, in terms of plot details, it’s going to be all over the place

I am glad they will make more episodes. I would like Soma and Julius season, I loved the sorrow series. It could start with the 1999 battle.

If they ever decide to do that era, it WON’T be a direct adaptation, so keep your expectations very low
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:38:36 AM by crisis »

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2021, 10:33:53 AM »
They made an error in that tweet. Sam Deats made it clear Richter isn't Trevor's son.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:37 AM »
I wonder if there's going to be a noticeable improvement in the writing on account of the writer not being Warren Ellis.

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2021, 12:02:58 PM »
I hope so. I'm interested to see where the writing will go without  him.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »
I wonder if there's going to be a noticeable improvement in the writing on account of the writer not being Warren Ellis.

Has Ellis not being involved been confirmed? If so, good riddance. The first CV series had its good points despite Ellis, not because of him, assuming his replacement isn't another edgelord I think a Netflix Rondo of Blood could *really* soar.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
Taking into consideration the fact that the new show will be set during the french revolution I think it's pretty likely Warren Ellis is still the writer if not a consultant for the show.

Tags:

anything