Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?  (Read 52445 times)

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
Re: Castlevania Anniversary Collection Incoming?
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »
When did the discussion take place?  If it was around the time of Bloodlines than it would make sense.  Or was this something new?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 21, 2019, 03:06:04 PM »
Something new. It's from the upcoming bonus book for the anniversary collection.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #122 on: April 21, 2019, 04:53:39 PM »
I noticed that one of the sample pages from the bonus book has a round table discussion with Yamane and the new producer of the series (the name doesn't appear on that page, though) This person apparently also oversees the Netflix series. I wonder who it could be?

Also interesting to see how they take active steps to not mention IGA by name.

Would you mind linking to this sample? I'm kinda surprised they seem to be okay with Yamane as she was probably the first major staff departure we saw at Konami, though she left before the mid-2010s and the strife IGA and Hideo Kojima had with the company.

Assuming they're cool with Yamane, I wouldn't be shocked if she actually composed the new songs in Grimoire of Souls.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2019, 12:31:53 AM »
+2
Here it is. You should be able to read the text if you zoom in.

Online Aceearly1993

• Nothing absolute
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Chronicles: Akumajo Dracula (X68k/PS1)
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2019, 03:39:11 AM »
Oh damn! Is the bonus book physical only or will be bundled within digital version of the game?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2019, 04:59:27 AM »
+2
Most interesting that a largely dead series have a producer looking over the whole series.

They're totally making a new game aside from the mobile one. All the Bomberman representation, the Smash inclusion, the Netflix show, the two collections...this is the only franchise they seem to be proactive in showcasing over the last few years.

Offline Reinhart77

• Courage, don't leave me now.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
+1
Assuming that they’re only putting in home and handheld console games in these collections (skipping the arcade, home computer, cell phone games etc) and that they hit every eligible game in release order, the next volume would contain the following 8 games:

- Dracula X
- Kid Dracula (gameboy)
- Symphony of the Night (they probably wont release the saturn version.  who knows, maybe we’ll see a localized version though)
- Legends
- Castlevania 64
- Legacy of Darkness
- Circle of the Moon
- Chronicles??? (not sure if they’d do rereleases, but i feel like releasing harmony of dissonance instead ought to be considered the start of another era.  although maybe they might get back to rondo eventually when they release Dracula X Chronicles if they did Chronicles)

Maybe we’ll finally get Vampire Killer when it corresponds to the time it was rereleased for Japanese consoles?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 02:33:53 PM by Reinhart77 »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2019, 09:59:35 PM »
+1
TIMELINE OF NOTABLE CASTLEVANIA-RELATED ACTIVITY/RUMORS

(Smash Bros.-related news connects to so-called Castlevania "leaks," so that's why it's included below)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
April-November 2014

*Castlevania: Dracula X, rare SNES game, re-released for the first time via Wii U Virtual Console in all regions.

May 2015

*Bloodstained Ritual of the Night achieves $5,545,991 via Kickstarter

December 2016-January 2017

*Castlevania: Dracula X, rare SNES game, re-released for 3DS Virtual Console in all regions.

June 2017

*Via Nintendo Life, Konami's European Brand Manager states: "All I can say is that there is lots of internal discussions going on within Konami regarding what games we can bring to the Nintendo Switch, other than Bomberman, a game which we are well aware of its heritage and how loved it and Castlevania is. So much so that Castlevania is getting is getting its own show on Netflix and because of that, we’re hearing a lot of desires from our fans for a new Castlevania series. So we do know there is a demand for a new game, but right now nothing is set in stone as the discussions are still on going." [sic.--direct quote, typos and all]

*Belmont Bomber character added via DLC for Super Bomberman R

January 2018

*Warren Ellis says Netflix's Castlevania Season 2 will launch in the summer of 2018 [it would actually air later that same year, in October]

April 2018

*Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls iOS Mobile Game announced

May 2018

*Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls beta closes

(Circa) June 2018

*Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is announced to have "100,000 downloads less than a week after it launched...56% of them on Nintendo platform."

*Netflix announces Castlevania will have a 3rd season prior to Season 2 even launching.

*Internet rumor/leaker person Vergeben claims Ridley, Ice Climbers, Snake, Simon Belmont, and Isabelle are coming to new Smash Bros.

*Via Castlevania Dungeon website from outside source, internet rumor/leaker person Vergeben proclaims: "Castelvania is making a comeback with two new titles. I believe each are multiplatform releases (one may be Switch exclusive but haven't been able to verify that). One is a new title and the other a collection of classic Castlevania games, with Symphony of the Night being the headline game." (Note that this is well after Grimoire of Souls was announced and demoed.)

*Vergeben goes on to suggest that Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth may come to Switch via a collection, which may or may not be related to the above.

*Via Castlevania Dungeon website, a user by the name of Dusk Golem who posts on ResetERA, who's been in the know about REmake 2, said Konami has a game to "counter" Bloodstained.

*Via Castlevania Dungeon website, French gaming site Gamekult speaks about Konami at E3 about being invited to a closed doors presentation to an unannounced game. Translation from ResetERA notes discussion as: This isn't PES or the sport compilation (i don't know a thing about this game). The editor in chief knows some things on this game but can't talk about it yet. Then, one of the guys at Gamekult asks if it's horror-related and the guy who knows about the game hesitates before dismissing the question.

*Ridley, Ice Climbers, and Konami's Snake confirmed for Smash Bros Ultimate.

*Vergeben doubles down, still says the two Castlevania games he spoke about exist despite not showing at E3.

August 2018

Simon Belmont (and Richter Belmont, plus more) confirmed for Smash Bros Ultimate.

September 2018

*Super Bomberman R adds Castlevania-inspired stage and Alucard Bomber character via DLC.

*Isabelle confirmed for Smash Bros Ultimate

October 2018

*Konami opens a new Castlevania website, complete with timeline of games

*Netflix Season 2 of Castlevania launches

*Castlevania Requiem, a collection of Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, launches for PS4. (The collection Vergeben heard about?)

March 2019

*Konami announces multiple anniversary collections, including one for Castlevania's early days, and asks for a person's birth date to enter the website (despite these games being rated no worse than T for Teen, I'd imagine), as if possibly collecting demographic info.

May 16, 2019

Castlevania Anniversary Collection release date. Includes book that, according the new sample pages available on the website, notes there is an unnamed "current series producer at Konami...currently supervising production of the Castlevania series as a whole, including the recent Netflix animated series."

(E3 2019) June 11-13, 2019

*Probably nothing, but...? ? ?

Summer 2019

*Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night launches
----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as I go over all this again, I see that it's sort of a mishmash, but two patterns emerge:

1.) Vergeben was not 100% incorrect on his/her Castlevania leaks, and was close to if not completely correct about his/her Smash Bros. leaks, opening up possibilities for his "new" Castlevania claim.

2.) Public interest and viability for Castlevania, while not spectacular, is growing more than it has for a while, and Konami has shown some level of response to that. Moreover, they apparently have someone specifically managing the brand again post-IGA, which is intriguing. Why have a producer for a supposedly inert series?

Assuming that they’re only putting in home and handheld console games in these collections (skipping the arcade, home computer, cell phone games etc) and that they hit every eligible game in release order, the next volume would contain the following 8 games:

- Dracula X
- Kid Dracula (gameboy)
- Symphony of the Night (they probably wont release the saturn version.  who knows, maybe we’ll see a localized version though)
- Legends
- Castlevania 64
- Legacy of Darkness
- Circle of the Moon
- Chronicles??? (not sure if they’d do rereleases, but i feel like releasing harmony of dissonance instead ought to be considered the start of another era.  although maybe they might get back to rondo eventually when they release Dracula X Chronicles if they did Chronicles)

Maybe we’ll finally get Vampire Killer when it corresponds to the time it was rereleased for Japanese consoles?

I would love to get Dracula X SNES represented in a collection. I actually think this first collection is pretty great, all things considered. But the website has gotten rid of the "first" collection moniker last I checked. It may have been a typo from what I've been hearing. That doesn't mean things won't change, or that it was a typo in the sense that it was a premature announcement mistake.

Most interesting that a largely dead series have a producer looking over the whole series.

They're totally making a new game aside from the mobile one. All the Bomberman representation, the Smash inclusion, the Netflix show, the two collections...this is the only franchise they seem to be proactive in showcasing over the last few years.

I do think something's going on; at the very least it's being discussed. This e-book (no physical release) seems pretty impressive. It's 74+ pages! Seems like a lot of care for something that's supposedly all in the past. I think there is some gradual attempt here to educate/prepare fans and newcomers.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:00:33 PM by RichterB »

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2019, 12:08:25 AM »
I would love to get Dracula X SNES represented in a collection. I actually think this first collection is pretty great, all things considered. But the website has gotten rid of the "first" collection moniker last I checked. It may have been a typo from what I've been hearing. That doesn't mean things won't change, or that it was a typo in the sense that it was a premature announcement mistake.

Yeah, I posted that on the Bloodstained group as I noticed no one commenting on this case.

I think people took a typo too seriously and assumed there is another CV collection coming because the webpage said something like "this first collection" (so, if people were led to assume it, it was not their fault or something). Not long after the rumor went up, the page was edited to remove this strange wording and the text is now pretty standard. I'm sure it was a typo because this collection is comprised of three different bundles, and these mentions of "firsts" only meant there was another classic collection coming in the same bundle soon.

Also, from what I understand, the Japanese page never once implied such a thing, btw. And the text remains the same as day 1.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:09:58 AM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2019, 07:27:02 AM »
If this is the only collection, this is an easy pass for me.

Bloodlines seems to be the "big" game, and that's already in a Sega collection with much more interesting titles. The fact they'd even put in Adventure in what could be the only collection for the series is just peak Konami. They could have put Castlevania Vs. in instead and it would have been a better pick. :p

Perhaps the most interesting thing is going to be the interview with this new, mysterious producer. Having a producer for what's largely been a dead series seems like they're not interested in a one-off game like Grimoire of Souls but have larger plans. I wouldn't be shocked if they wanted to make a game based on the Netflix show.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:33:19 AM by Foffy »

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2019, 04:56:47 PM »
I don't really think the producer thing means much...  I mean there are no new games but Castlevania as an IP is certainly not dead.  You guys said it yourselves, we have two collections in less than a year, a critically acclaimed animated series with all the tie in products that entails, characters and locations appearing in other games, etc.  Someone has to manage all that stuff, at least to represent Konami's interests in each example.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2019, 11:15:31 PM »
I don't really think the producer thing means much...  I mean there are no new games but Castlevania as an IP is certainly not dead.  You guys said it yourselves, we have two collections in less than a year, a critically acclaimed animated series with all the tie in products that entails, characters and locations appearing in other games, etc.  Someone has to manage all that stuff, at least to represent Konami's interests in each example.

I would imagine something is coming, if not for the Vergeben rumor, then DuskGolem's proclamations that Konami wants to "counter" Bloodstained. DuskGolem confirmed that Resident Evil 2 and 3 were being remade, and this was before either one was teased by Capcom outright. Capcom's now starting the REmake 3 teases.

You also don't do all this work to "bring awareness" back to a brand only with supplemental material. Usually collections for companies like Konami and Capcom are ways to reintroduce players to new works. Similarly Mega Man and Mega Man X are cases of this.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2019, 06:38:05 AM »
I recall many years ago how there was this 1 user that claimed to have “inside info” on what was going on, and even proved it by correctly predicting stuff about Portrait of Ruin before it’s release (hinting towards a “collectors package” being made for the game, etc.) She even made posts about a CV game that may or may not be coming to the Wii (turned out to be Judgment).

However, a few months later, after she gained some “fame” from the community, she made 1 last post saying:

“Two 1999 games.
That is all.”

Everyone here went wild, because she made some educated guesses that turned out to be correct. She disappeared soon afterward. Y’all already know the rest of the story.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »
Did Iga kill her by throwing his cowboy hat at her to silence her or something

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #134 on: April 25, 2019, 05:53:00 PM »
Did Iga kill her by throwing his cowboy hat at her to silence her or something

Why the hat? He had a whip.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Tags:

anything