Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Should we have more 'Monster' heroes?  (Read 11391 times)

Offline Zacmac90

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Should we have more 'Monster' heroes?
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »
What I mean by this is should we have more characters like Alucard {half vampire}, Cornell {Werewolf} and Hector {Devilmaster} being the main heroes instead of the Belmonts all the time...at least that would be something different since Alucard, Cornell and Hector all have different weapons and abilities

Offline VeteranVk

• Hunter in Training
  • Vampire killing since 1988
    • Awards
Re: Should we have more 'Monster' heroes?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »
Well...we have a vampire, a were wolf, and a mage like devil forging guy...I suppose if they wanted to elaborate more on the latter they could maybe create a necromancer type protagonist. *shrugs*
I now Prossess a what?

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »
I don't personally care for the idea because I feel there's still a ton of potential for gameplay evolution involving human characters. I'd be okay with it, I guess, if Belmonts were still pivotal to the storyline. They really could've have done so much more with Hector, at least in personal abilities and not familiars.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 12:58:53 PM »
In CV64 there was supposed to be another playable Frankenstein-like character named Coller, but was later redesigned to be the Gardener you encounter in the Hedge Maze. A side game featuring Joachim would've been alright I guess.

I'm not sure what other creatures they could use as protagonists for a full-fledged CV game.. I thought it was funny how they gave the Golem a "good" personality in Judgment.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »
Only if Joachim walks and isn't boring as hell to play as.

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 01:18:43 PM »
Honestly couldn't care for them. I would be completely ok with the focus on the Belmonts though, that's all I think that needs to happen anyway.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »
Monster heroes: yes
Monsters killing dracula: HELL NO!!
Everyone and his mother have killed poor man, want Cv side stories? fine, but keep dracula for belmonts only and occasionaly alucard (very occasionaly). IDk who said every Cv game should have Dracula as it's final boss, every iteration with killing that man makes him a lamer villain.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Castlevania: Skeleton's Story.

It would be like Super Meat Boy. Except probably far more tragic.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:37:59 PM by Munchy »

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 04:03:10 PM »
Crono mage: The time sweeping rabbit.

Offline Thomas Belmont

• Legendary
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 05:00:18 PM »
What I mean by this is should we have more characters like Alucard {half vampire}, Cornell {Werewolf} and Hector {Devilmaster} being the main heroes instead of the Belmonts all the time...at least that would be something different since Alucard, Cornell and Hector all have different weapons and abilities

No.

Offline Alutwon

• Grand Cross
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »
Side stories are cool. Have the last boss be a Belmont instead of Dracula if your a monster-hero. Then again do we really want something like that? Eh sure why not
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:04:19 PM by Alutwon »

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 09:46:08 PM »
should we have more characters like Alucard {half vampire}, Cornell {Werewolf} and Hector {Devilmaster} being the main heroes instead of the Belmonts

Nope
I'd rather see the Belmonts fully re-established as the series protagonists than continue to have mostly one time heroes popping up for each game. I could settle for the approach adopted in CV III: Dracula's curse or CV: Legacy of darkness though where you could sort of have the best of both worlds without one or the other seeming too neglected like Richter mode did in Sotn.

Castlevania: Skeleton's Story.

It would be like Super Meat Boy. Except probably far more tragic.

or like PRINNY:Can I really be the hero?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:56:35 PM by C Belmont »

Offline C Belmont

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards 2016-02 Sprite Contest 3rd Place 2014-12-Quarterly 3D Contest 1st Place Award The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 09:52:12 PM »
oopsy just quoted myself instead of modifying my post, ignore this.
sorry
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:54:36 PM by C Belmont »

Offline RichterB

• Returnee
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »
In CV64 there was supposed to be another playable Frankenstein-like character named Coller, but was later redesigned to be the Gardener you encounter in the Hedge Maze. A side game featuring Joachim would've been alright I guess.

I'm not sure what other creatures they could use as protagonists for a full-fledged CV game.. I thought it was funny how they gave the Golem a "good" personality in Judgment.

The tale of Coller was definitely going to be interesting. His quest was trimmed/altered into Henry's in LoD. Unti lCV64, I really never thought of the idea of a werewolf or a Frankenstein being a hero. Strangely, CV64 made the idea seem natural and even cool. I'd still like a Belmont in addition, but the idea of a monster-based quest, if well-told like in the CV64 universe, would be neat.

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
What we should have is a hero with a good story damn it... most of them suck story wise. Human or not.

Tags:

anything