Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Yahtzee Reviews Symphony of the Night  (Read 10341 times)

Offline Ridureyu

• A boomerang to the head cooled my jets.
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Yahtzee Reviews Symphony of the Night
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3188-Castlevania-Symphony-of-the-Night

And surprisingly, it's one of his more positive reviews!  He took issue with the obtuse method of reaching Inverted Castle (i kind of liked that, though. It wasn't too obvious, but it wasn't too obtuse), and the borked difficulty curve (Well yeah, he's right about that one), but otherwise he likes the game!

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
Re: Yahtzee Reviews Symphony of the Night
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:38 AM »
His reviews are hilarious. He also did a review for LOS. He doesn't like it :D

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »
His reviews are hilarious. He also did a review for LOS. He doesn't like it :D
Yeah, it was hilarious considering that most of us would consider what he is saying about SotN to be heresy.  Then again, it does have its flaws.  Considering that it was the first game like that in the series, it was really well done.  The problem is that its successors were for the most part clones with a slightly new combat system.  They didn't really have the "wow, this is a great and new game."  What they had was a "it's a clone of SotN.  Still good though" impression.  Well, at least that's how it was for me.

On another note, does anyone have a link to this guy's review of LoS?  I would love to see it.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
Odile, where is your avatar from? looks pretty awesome.

Anyway, he's pretty spot on for most of it. But he's wrong with alucard's reaction to attacks. He has more than some other games for sure.

Also love the mention of Mortal Kombat... I hope he dcan get his hands on it, cuz I would love a review of it. As it's AWESOME!

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

Offline Harrycombs

• Monster fan
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
That was pretty good review. He was pretty fair to it.
The dream reveals the reality, which conception lags behind. That is the horror of life - the terror of art.

Franz Kafka

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2251-Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow

Agree wholeheartedly with this review. Except for the free-roaming bit (and with all REs sucking before 4); wasn't always part of the series, but I think LoS would've benefited much from that structure.

His SotN review is great too. I love the little pictures, especially with Simon behind the wheel of a wrecking ball. And the poster "Every time you palette swap a child DIES." LOL
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:53:55 PM by Munchy »

Offline jestercolony

• Slow Silence
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:27 PM »
Regards to LoS -

I enjoy the fact people give games crappy reviews but don't really understand the game actually does split itself off from GoW or SoTC... The factor is the combat system is so detailed, half of the crap that goes on really isn't even explained in game.

Castlevania was never a "free" roaming game (unless you count HC/SQ) until the later titles (SoTN...etc.) Secondly, why even bring up RE? This guy needs to go back to journalism school and needs to stop playing games on the snore easy setting and actually sit down and play the game in full detail instead of attempting to rush it like every other snot-nosed video game journalist who do reviews, that are out there.

Ironic part is people sometimes complain that LoS is a love story... Okay? And? Look at some of the other titles in the series. The game (when a storyline was given) was based around "loss" of something. Either it be the love of your life or your soul, it happens.

le sigh...

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
(and with all REs sucking before 4)

You watch your mouth, boy.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:15:22 PM »
You watch your mouth, boy.

Hey, those were Yahtzee's words, not mine. Don't shoot the messenger.

There's a little bit where he brings up RE4 and there's a picture of REs 1-3 in a trash can. I forgave it mostly because the review was hilarious and he made some really good points outside of that one.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:17:58 PM by Munchy »

Offline Ridureyu

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »
The thing is, even when I disagree with one of Yahtzee's reviews (and I do from time to time), he's pretty well-informed about them.   A lot of his caustic, acerbic comments are because it's good show business to be kind of a jerk. 

It's kind of the same with political pundits on the air - they get more viewers and more money if they're rude and nasty, even though most of 'em are nicer people in real life.  And I'm talking about pundits on both sides, pelase don't derail this into complaining about specific ones:-P

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 11:21:31 PM »
The thing is, even when I disagree with one of Yahtzee's reviews (and I do from time to time), he's pretty well-informed about them.   A lot of his caustic, acerbic comments are because it's good show business to be kind of a jerk.

Exactly. He's like the AVGN; to enjoy it you have to take in the fact that it's his shtick.

Also, to respond to jestercolony on the story front, my problem with LoS wasn't that it had story, or even a love story. It was that this particular story was, well, formulaic and kinda corny. This isn't to say that this isn't a standard for Castlevania, but the buildup of expectations made the problem far worse than it could have been. For all the emphasis they put on the plot being heavily emotional and how much they hid it from the public view, when boiled down it's not much different from Curse of Darkness. Or Lament of Innocence. The main difference was the higher paid voice actors, better sense of foreshadowing and the concept of doubling, which I thought was actually pretty cool and reminded me of Spirited Away. But otherwise the execution isn't much better than IGA's plots.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:38:56 PM by Munchy »

Offline Ridureyu

• Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 11:37:41 PM »
When I lived in California, I knew a radio personality who-shall-remain-unnamed.  His show was kinda big in the area, had some exposure nationwide, but wasn't SUPER-HUGE. On the air, he was a loud, obnoxious, sarcastic, crude jerkass.  In person?  Complete teddy bear who was always afraid of accidentally hurting people.  Really nice to people he would have yelled at on the radio.  Generous and polite to a fault, and pretty much the opposite of his on-air personality.  When asked why?

"Well, that's what it takes to keep the show going."

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 12:02:05 AM »
OMG.... his review of DMC4... I'm dying here...

Offline Odile Kuronuma

• I'm ze man errr.... woman
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 04:25:26 AM »
Odile, where is your avatar from? looks pretty awesome.

Anyway, he's pretty spot on for most of it. But he's wrong with alucard's reaction to attacks. He has more than some other games for sure.

Also love the mention of Mortal Kombat... I hope he dcan get his hands on it, cuz I would love a review of it. As it's AWESOME!
Yeah it's pretty awesome :) . Found it on Danbooru while looking for Castlevania fanart.
http://danbooru.donmai.us/data/cf7f4ab058f8be84d393ed5f67931983.jpg
I found some pretty nice CV pics, but I'm too lazy to start a new topic :D

Tags: