Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Aria of Sorrow  (Read 14850 times)

Offline Death

• I'll Be Seeing You Soon
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Aria of Sorrow
« on: September 13, 2007, 06:18:26 AM »
I'm playing Harmony of Dissonance and I absolutely love it! Much better than Circle of the Moon. The only problem I have with it is the music, it's definitely not up to par with previous games in the series. I hear Aria of Sorrow is even better than Harmony of Dissonance but it's kinda short. I'm just wondering what you all think of Aria of Sorrow. Is it better than Harmony of Dissonance? How's the music? And is it really that short?

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 06:40:54 AM »
AOS is a lot better than HOD, yes, and I like its music more from what I recall. But then, I also think COTM is superior to HOD. ;) HOD is just a turd, really. A turd with pretty backgrounds.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 06:57:38 AM »
Aria's music, while higher in quality suffers from very poor compositions. Its music is mostly very forgettable and boss tracks are all but one just plain bad and annoying, which makes you want to kill the damned boss as fast as you can to stop the pain of hearing that horrible music.

The only tracks I liked from that game were the entrance, top floor, somewhat the chapel and the hof remix.

Its sprites are way better though, and while almost anyone who's not Soma is horribly animated Soma himself is done pretty well.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:59:37 AM by Serio »

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 07:45:53 AM »
That's a matter of opinion, really. Personally, I enjoyed CotM more than HoD, though I liked the weird-ass atmosphere in HoD more.
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 07:47:10 AM »
Aria is much better than Harmony at:Graphics,Sound and Scenario.It's not that short.its music is better at least for me from the other two on GBA.My rating is:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:55:54 AM by Dark Nemesis »
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »
I like CotM alot, it was difficult and the DSS system was kind of cool, not perfect by any means but it was pretty decent way of doing spells/weapons.I like Aria abuot the same.

As for music though.... I can't really remember most of the music so I can't really comment on it.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2007, 09:33:17 AM »
Aria is better than HoD overall, but I like both.  Aria's soundtrack is pretty great IMO.  It really adds to the atmosphere in places like the Reservoir, Study, Arena, and Inner Quarters.

Offline Marto

• Kojima fan :)
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Marto's Art
    • Awards
Re: Aria of Sorrow
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 10:28:23 AM »
I personally saw Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow to be equivalent to each other. Aria's musical composition was really lacking, which Harmony, despite using an outdated system for its tracks, came up with very rich, and quite fitting music for its atmosphere. The only peeve I have is Juste's sprite, and that's about it.

They each have their own charms, but Harmony makes some risky decisions that it carried out quite well. It's certain as open for exploration as it's predecessor, Symphony of the Night. That, and it has a ton of easter eggs. Aria's far more linear in that matter.

For whoever said HoD is nothing more than a turd with pretty backgrounds, it would have been nicer if you at least explained why that is.

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »
I personally like to believe that Aria of sorrow is the best out of the castleroids, thoug some of the SoTN lovers out there would have you believe otherwise.

- there is a better structured weapon tree so you dont get loads of useless crap way after you get the great stuff ( though it sometimes still happens but depends more on your play style )

The castle is much better designed ( level design folks, not graphically ) with a lot more platforming rather than: walk down corridor - kill monster, walk a little further kill another - walk on.. routine. theres even a little bit of puzzling with a floating platform and some nova skeletons and a large ball and chain involving a wall.

the only thing here that i wasnt keen on was the futuristic setting and the introduction of soma. you dont really notice the time zone though as there are very few weapons fromt hat era except a few grenades, handguns and the positron rifle - (which turns out to be a fairly adept weapon IMO ) I would have LIKED to have seen as much detail as was in SOTN but clearly that wont happen as its just not got the space on a cartridge game as a CD would have.

comparing it to symphony is unfair but i still belive it's the better game - As for comparing it with the three GBA games i'd play them in this order

1. AoS
2.CoTM
3.HoD

why?

Because the first two have loads to collect, see, and do. cirlce doesnt have as much to see per se but it makes up for it with its higher difficulty setting which is nice given that you can still level up if you are not used to oldskull spit in your face and get thrown into a bottomless pitt by a medusa head and die at full health castlevania difficulty ( ok maybe it's not that hard but the hardest of the castleroids ) circle also has a larger variety of magic and weapons that harmony with electricity whips and thorn whips and even fire swords ( though it's mostly whip varients )

Harmony only has what..... 4 whips in the whole game and maybe 8 abilities? theres not a hell of a lot you can do with those magic books either.

when i first started playing HoD i thought. WOW the graphics look great ( except for the shitty blue aura around Juste ) the castle looks really fantasy like with floating parts in the background and the weirdo flashing room and the lava background you see after going through the first portal.
 though the backgrounds in Harmony look nice its little consolation to the fact that its just a maze the entire game and the music isnt great. ( the quality is poor but i didnt mind the actual tunes themselves though wandering around listening to it while your lost for hours is mind numbing.)

I feel you will enjoy collecting all the weapons/Souls/monster lists and getting 100% map coverage in Aria before you enjoy it in HoD ( or give up before you do ) the bosses in Aria are more distinct like the headhunter you have to fight 3 varients of or legion which you have to kill in a certain way to get his soul or you miss out till your next play through - it beats "Peeping BIG"

anyway i've noticed im rambling but to put a long story short Aria is better than HoD in almost every way ( except for if you like incredibly frustrating games with very little imagination other than backgrounds or diplomas in maze design,which incidentally doesnt even count in the second castle which is  a copy paste with different colours)

Rant over.

Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
For whoever said HoD is nothing more than a turd with pretty backgrounds, it would have been nicer if you at least explained why that is.

Piss-poor, badly-structured level design is one large factor. Horrid music and ass-ugly sprites (not just Juste but mostly everything else). The giant enemies were pretty nifty, and the backgrounds are nice, so I'll give it that, but I just don't think it's a very fun or aesthetically pleasing game.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »
+1
I believe AoS is the superior of all the gba games. Julius plays way better in this than DoS.

Offline Death

• I'll Be Seeing You Soon
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »
Sounds like a great game! Can't wait to play it. ;D

How's the bosses? The bosses in HoD have been pretty disappointing so far. Thy do the some lame patterns over and over, they're just way too easy. They don't look too cool either. :(

Offline Long John Silver

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
Aria bosses are mostly just as easy, and the first three of them are just big enemies. The real bosses start with headhunter I think.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 03:13:59 PM »
+1
The bosses are alright, more creative than what's seen in Harmony. They're a little bit harder than HoD's, but that's not saying much since they're still easy either way (in my opinion, at least).

The battle with Death was pretty cool (but he has no dialogue. wtf?)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 03:33:29 PM »
The battle with Death was pretty cool (but he has no dialogue. wtf?)

I prefer my Castlevania games to not have dialog. :P Death in CVIV is creepy.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Tags:

anything