Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Level Editor -- Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge  (Read 2108 times)

Offline NaOH

• Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Level Editor -- Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
« on: April 08, 2023, 08:29:59 PM »
+2
Over the past two weeks, I've been dissecting Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge code and data. At first I was just intending to make some notes for someone else to use in a romhack, but I ended up making a proper level editor.

It should be possible to make an overhaul hack using this. There's still a little more work to be done to really unlock all the potential, like figuring out the enemy graphics loading routine. (All I really know is that it happens during door transitions.)

Contact me (NaOH#1432 on Discord) if you'd like my notes on the assembly code. I've figured out a decent chunk of bit of bank 0, bank 3, and bank 6. I've also put some notes on Data Crystal.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:35:29 PM by NaOH »

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
Re: Level Editor -- Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 06:37:54 AM »
This is neat. It'd be interesting to have a randomizer version of BR where enemies and bosses are random (minus Dracula at the end) for speedruns or just for shits & giggles.

Tags: editor romhack 

anything