Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow - An original scenario project - Updated 7/16  (Read 10419 times)

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Potent Sovereign of the Abstract
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
A legend rises. A demon returns. Tears are shed. Blood is spilt. A battle is fought. A soul is freed. A prophecy is fulfilled. A legacy… ends.

Intersection presents:

UPDATED 7/16

Many thanks to plottwist for designing such an incredible logo for my project, as well as for providing invaluable criticism for yet unreleased elements of my scenario. So if you haven't already, take a look at his version of the Demon Castle War: Umbra of Sorrow

A short introduction to the project:

(click to show/hide)

PART I: IN SEARCH OF A COMPELLING SETTING

Well, what exactly is the "Demon Castle War"?

(click to show/hide)

A word about Dracula's Curse

(click to show/hide)

Castlevania in the (almost) 21st century

(click to show/hide)

The Catholic Church in 1999

(click to show/hide)

PART II: THEMATIC ELEMENTS

Here are a few tidbits of dialogue from the scenario; it should illustrate the plot's most relevant themes more effectively than any explanatory paragraph. It should serve as a character teaser, as well.

(click to show/hide)

The Prophecy

We all know that Nostradamus had no idea what Dracula even was when he wrote down his “prophecy”. So instead of adhering to four 500-year-old lines about the “King of the Mongols”, I decided to come up with a prophecy that’s actually relevant to the story at hand. If you think I’m overstepping boundaries, well, you’ll just have to forgive me this once. Besides, it sounds so much more appropriate...

(click to show/hide)

PART III: CHARACTERS AND GLOSSARY

In this section you will find short portraits or descriptions of various characters and plot elements from the scenario, in a manner similar to the "library" in Dawn of Sorrow's menu. More entries will be added as the story progresses.

Julius Belmont

(click to show/hide)

Sofia Belnades

(click to show/hide)

The Order of the Enlightened

(click to show/hide)

PART IV: DEVELOPING THE SCENARIO

This will be by far the largest section in the thread. Here, I will be commenting my choices and explaining my decisions in building the plot as it is released. This will be done on a chapter-like basis.

Overture - Innocence Betrayed

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:50:08 AM by Intersection »
Castlevania: Legacy of Sorrow: An original scenario project

Freedom is the one thing you cannot impose.

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
The finalized plot elements will appear here.

OVERTURE - INNOCENCE BETRAYED

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 04:11:57 AM by Intersection »

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »
I'm not sure how to take this, the implications for satire are plentiful.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
LOL, that spoiler was a humorous read  :)
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: 1999 - An original scenario project - UPDATED 4/27
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 01:03:52 PM »
The thread's been updated.

I'm not sure how to take this, the implications for satire are plentiful.
Yeah, I'm sure they are, if you're talking about to the "Umbra of Sorrow" project... I expect the buzz for this project would've been dampened as a result. Still, my original "release date" for this was around early May, so I'm still not too far off.

LOL, that spoiler was a humorous read  :)
Heh, glad you liked it. It was kind of there to hide the fact that I had no idea what I was doing yesterday...

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
The land becomes infertile; nature grows restless as it warps, withers and dies; a lingering darkness falls as men grow fearful, cruel, and selfish; and none, not even the dead, can find peace. Under the strain of dwindling natural resources, those in power become greedy and belligerent; corruption runs rampant; authoritarian and expansionist ideologies are on the rise, and the shadow of war looms in the horizon.

After reading this my thoughts immediately went to Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It's essentially the same scenario that happens after the events of CV III. Except on a much larger scale.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 10:26:13 AM »
After reading this my thoughts immediately went to Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. It's essentially the same scenario that happens after the events of CV III. Except on a much larger scale.
I did speak a lot about Dracula's Curse, so that's not a surprise. Still, Curse of Darkness was definitely one of my inspiration sources. In fact, there's a character from that game who'll be appearing here (you probably know who he is). He'll have a very interesting role to play, even though he won't be appearing very often.

Speaking of inspiration sources, Lords of Shadow was actually among them as well. I'll be building on many of the themes the game touched upon, although from a different angle and with some new perspectives. I've even taken the liberty of reworking and transposing one of the characters from the LoS universe into the classic timeline. He's actually one of my more successful character pieces, with a few Faustian overtones.

I think it's also worth noting that all of the more 'fantastical' elements in my narrative are intentionally borrowed from other Castlevania games, so that I won't have to stretch our imaginations any further than what the franchise has already done.
Like I said, I intend for this to be a very grounded scenario, revolving around a very small cast of characters, but delving far into their beliefs and motivations to create a very personal storyline.

Those were my teasers for today.  8)  Keep in mind that the reason why I'm moving so slowly is not because I believe I'm writing some kind of a groundbreaking masterpiece, but because I really need, and value, feedback, and I find it's most effective when it comes right in the middle of my 'storytelling'.
So please, don't be shy, comment and tell me what you think! I spent quite a bit of time on this, and if I'm posting it now, it's not for my personal ego, but for all of you to enjoy.

My second main update, I think, should be coming around next week.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:36:52 PM by Intersection »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
Good idea about how to handle the military aspect. It's actually more interesting than having some cliche, grand battle which like you said, doesn't really make sense in the context of the series. Also a smooth way to maintain the "secret history" theme of the series where only a couple of people know Dracula exists.

How are you going to handle the cast of characters? You said you want a small cast of characters, but I believe aside from Julius, characters that have been said to be involved and thus have to appear in some way are Alucard, a Belnades, and someone from the Hakuba family. Are you following IGA tradition and have them just occasionally show up for exposition or did you have something else in mind? 

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
How are you going to handle the cast of characters? You said you want a small cast of characters, but I believe aside from Julius, characters that have been said to be involved and thus have to appear in some way are Alucard, a Belnades, and someone from the Hakuba family. Are you following IGA tradition and have them just occasionally show up for exposition or did you have something else in mind?
I've always believed that Alucard's story ended with SoTN. Symphony was one of the few Castlevania games to provide an ending that actually gave off some sense of finality: we get to witness an emotionally resonant exchange that's atypical for the series, and a sendoff that could very well have ended the franchise without feeling forced. SoTN gave Alucard's character arc a clear beginning and end, which is why I was never keen on seeing him reused in every game imaginable simply because he was considered to be a "fan favorite".
He was originally involved in the scenario, but now his segment is somewhere in limbo, since I'm not really sure what to do with it. That's chiefly because his presence isn't instrumental to this story at all, and if he does appear in a significant way, it will be as an antagonist, and I'm not sure how many people will be happy about that. So I'm putting off my decision for now, but let me know what you think.

The "priest of the Hakuba shrine" is part of a description in Dawn, iirc. And as for the whole "sealing off" part, I've got my own ideas about it, so I'm not too concerned about that. In the plot's current state, though, that happens partly behind the scenes, so if that's what you're asking, Julius never meets a member of the Hakuba family. Unless I play with names, of course, but I'm not that desperate yet. ;)

I don't remember any game suggesting that the Belnades would be involved. Care to refresh my memory?
I could always induct my yet-unnamed secondary protagonist into the family, but if I can avoid it, I will.

More generally, though, I'm averse to throwing every existing character from a franchise into a game just for the sake of them being there, especially here. I'll be talking more about characters in detail in my next update, so stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:41:39 AM by Intersection »

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 12:31:02 PM »
It's from the PoR bonus timeline. It says something like: "The Belmont family, the Belnades family, and Alucard become aware of Dracula's return" (something like that). I don't think any other material mentions it though, so it's easy to overlook.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »
I really like your vision of the war. Specially this bit:

I'm convinced that Aria's 'Demon Castle War' is more a thematic indication than it is a literal description. It's also probably the product of a less-than-perfect translation, to be understood in context and not really word-for-word

It doesn't need to be an all-out war with such a big scale. "War" can simply refer to the unending battle between Dracula and mankind that reached it's tipping point in 1999, or simply refer to the involvement of a unspecified military force.

In fact, I like everything what you put here until now. Very curious to see the rest.
Which reminds me that I must post Julius' origin on my own project :O
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:57:48 PM by theplottwist »
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline DarkPrinceAlucard

• The Dark Prince
  • Master Hunter
  • Your dark prince has arrived.
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Castle Modding
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
It's from the PoR bonus timeline. It says something like: "The Belmont family, the Belnades family, and Alucard become aware of Dracula's return" (something like that). I don't think any other material mentions it though, so it's easy to overlook.

Nagumo is right ^^^

I have to be honest and say I was kinda letdown by you openly saying Alucard role is not that important to the story.

My hope was that you where going to do the 1999 thing in a believable way as to what IGA had envisioned but I must say that if Alucard,the Belnades, and the Hakubo aren't going to have a fairly large role in this than the integrity of it is definitely going to suffer in my opinion since it was revealed that they played a crucial role during the War alongside Julius.

Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 07:40:40 AM »
By massive fan demand, then (well, massive... everything is relative), Alucard has been replaced into the story.  8)

The truth is, every character I introduce into my narrative is made to have an important role in it - I hate the concept of filler characters, and it's why I'm so stingy about my current cast. They all have their own story, their own motives, and their own part to play in the plot - and that's something that takes time to build.

When I say Alucard's role is not instrumental to the plot, however, it means that his involvement isn't integral to the themes I'm developing or the direction I want the story as a whole to take. And this goes for pretty much every character in this scenario that isn't Julius or Dracula (with one notable exception); their presence heavily contributes to the plot, but the plot doesn't revolve around them.

More generally, I'm sticking as close as I can to the guidelines IGA set for 1999, but otherwise this scenario is entirely mine. I'm not trying to guess what IGA would've done if he'd actually produced the game.

So if you're expecting Alucard, Julius, the Belnades, and the Hakubas to all come together to devise some ingenious plan to take down Dracula once and for all... Well, I'll have to disappoint you.
But if you're interested in what complex (and not necessarily one-sided) interactions these characters could have, then by all means stay tuned! I still have a few tricks up my sleeve.

Note: I've been pretty busy this week, and I hadn't prioritized updating this, so I'm sorry about the delay. I'll try to get it done by tomorrow night at the latest.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 07:43:32 AM by Intersection »

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 10:56:24 PM »
You could always do something creative, for example, Julius not really being the prophesied Belmont, but as the prophesied Belmont fails, Julius takes full swing.
It'll be interesting to twist the story a bit in the areas that aren't fully detailed, since we all pretty much know the scenario of the Demon Castle War

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Intersection

• The Symbolic
  • Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
And the update has come. Sorry to all for the delay: I got caught up in the Bloodstained hype.

You could always do something creative, for example, Julius not really being the prophesied Belmont, but as the prophesied Belmont fails, Julius takes full swing.
You're actually closer than you might think.

NOTE: For those of you wondering why the scenario is suddenly awash with new characters, it's worth noting that very few of them will be recurring, and that most of them will only appear as bosses.
I'll be adding a fully detailed character list once I get the next update in.

NOTE 2: Yes, the name I chose isn't very original by any stretch of the imagination, and it's composed of two already existing CV title fragments. In the end, I chose relevance over originality, since "Legacy of Sorrow" is actually pretty evocative of one of the themes I'll be developing in the plot. Besides, how much choice did I have over the "of Sorrow" part?

NOTE 3: Yes, this thread needs formatting. I'm working on it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:17:50 AM by Intersection »

Tags: