Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania IV box art  (Read 40175 times)

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
To be honest, Barbarian Belmonts were never actually era appropriate...
Not much is era approriate in the CV series. Never mattered to me, though. Barbarians are badass. Besides, imagine if we got a CV where the characters were more dressed along like these:

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
I didn't actually mind the art style from the Lords of Shadow artist(s). There was always this fantastical yet masculine element to them that I just find really appealing.

I actually like the LoS artstyle as well. It's about the only element of that game that appeals to me.

Resurrecting this thread because someone elsewhere was wondering the name of the Turtles in Time artist. Just checking to see if it's confirmed yet to be Stephen Poole or if that's the author's name of the GamePro article where that early Castlevania IV art appears. Stephen Poole is the name of an editor at GameSpot (and later Edge magazine) as I found reviews from the late '90s, so it's possible he wrote for GamePro in the mid '90s.

What would be a delicious bit of weirdness is if the artist really is Stephen Poole and it's the same guy who writes gaming articles and reviews.

Either way, I'm REOPENING THIS CASE :O because there's yet to be any concrete evidence of the artist's name.

Stephen Poole eh? I'm not familiar with the name and it's a shame that he didn't sign the artwork he did for the early part of CV history. But I'm pretty sure he did lots of CV art, specifically CV III, SCVIV, Belmont's revenge and Bloodlines. I dare-say that his style was popular enough that the ones whom did the official cover art for Rondo of Blood copied his work, but added an anime twist to it. Either way it worked well. I'd like to see more of that kind of art because back in the day it was DA BOMB!
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
+2
i said it before but ill say it again: im dying for a cv game to adapt this artstyle

Offline Mike Belmont

• Castlevania Fan since 1995
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
Yes, not bad for an art style... but not in the cover, I guess. I can´t imagine that art in the cover, in the videogame stores....

...But for the in-game art style, yeeeahhhhhh 8). I can imagine that Dracula in a Dark Chapel stainglass, or the Belmont in a Normal Chapel... Talk about Chapel/Antichapel :P

Also, the art style in the CVIII makes me a CV fan since the first time I see it, when I was a child, back in the 90s. Think of "love at first sight" (the same could pass with Deadly Towers, but when I played that game, there was soooo desilusional  :-[).
"This whip, and my kinsmen will destroy you some day. From this day on, the Belmont clan will hunt the night"

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »
Not much is era approriate in the CV series. Never mattered to me, though. Barbarians are badass. Besides, imagine if we got a CV where the characters were more dressed along like these:

I'd play the fuck out of an era appropriate Castlevania.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Stephen Poole eh?

Definitely not Poole, unfortunately. I asked around and someone posted, "Stephen Poole is indeed the name of the article author. Back during my time in the game industry I tried to find out his name from Konami, but nobody there knew who it was either."

Someone showed up to the Technodrome Forum showing off some artwork from the artist but so far hasn't revealed the artist's name. Here's the penciled version of the Turtles in Time cover art that he posted.

He's got an impressive collection of original art, including this pre-release Castlevania III poster for Nintendo Power.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:33:35 PM by Abnormal Freak »
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 02:30:27 AM »
It's the same artist who worked on Resurrection. He says so himself in that interview on the Dungeon.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:25 AM »
This interview? Nothing in there about doing anything for Konami prior to a baseball game from the late '90s. I also don't believe that the guy who drew this

is the same guy who drew this

One is a master of structure. The other...well...

yeah. I'd be embarrassed to see this in an 8th grader's sketchbook let alone the head of a game's art department.

Q. What do you think of series artist Ayami Kojima?
A. Nothing really. She's okay, she can draw.

Something he himself is clearly incapable of.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 05:24:04 AM »

Offline Shinobi

• Vampire Hunter
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
There's a distinct air of quality to the box art from CVIII and IV, and also Bloodlines.  There's lots of details on the screen and you can tell the artist knows what they're doing, since not only are they action poses, but the artist draws multiple characters, enemies, positions, and even architecture.  Hell, CV3's box art is Trevor on the Clocktower fighting a skeleton!  I mean, that's kinda greatly accurate, if you think about it.  It really made the gamers use their imagination when they got to the clocktower in the game and had to fight such baddies.

Out of all the illustrations the artist did, Bloodlines is innaccurate. Where's the gargoyle, 4 handed sword wielding demon, armored thin man and Elizabeth showing up her bare legs as shown in the boxart? NONE!

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »
I really liked the way Elizabeth Bartly was done on the american box art. Wild and sexy.

http://www.16bitaudiophileproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/CastlevaniaBL.png
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Eric Roman

• Arima Red
  • Vampire Hunter
  • THE RISE that Eric Roman has sent
    • EricTJRoman.com
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 11:00:33 AM »
I would love to see this mystery answered some day. 

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2014, 12:35:26 PM »
Woops, I meant this article:

http://www.castlevaniadungeon.net/features/magscans/CVResurrectionEGM.jpg

Interesting. EGM might have been smoking the crack pipe, or maybe someone from the CV IV team was acting as a sort of producer. It's certainly not much to go off.

All signs point to Greg Orduyan not being the box artist. I'd be really damn surprised if that happened to be the case, but it just doesn't stack up. Different way of drawing and nothing about it mentioned on his portfolio on his website.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline DragonSlayr81

• The Beast Inside
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »
This interview? Nothing in there about doing anything for Konami prior to a baseball game from the late '90s. I also don't believe that the guy who drew this

is the same guy who drew this

One is a master of structure. The other...well...

yeah. I'd be embarrassed to see this in an 8th grader's sketchbook let alone the head of a game's art department.

Q. What do you think of series artist Ayami Kojima?
A. Nothing really. She's okay, she can draw.

Something he himself is clearly incapable of.
I'm pretty humble when it comes to other artists. I usually find the best in their work and admire it for what it is. I'm in no way a flawless artist, myself, but the picture of Sonia and that "Belmont" in crystal armor.... I think I could fuckin' take this guy!! ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 02:07:30 PM by DragonSlayr81 »

Offline The Silverlord

• Vampire Hunter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »
All signs point to Greg Orduyan not being the box artist. I'd be really damn surprised if that happened to be the case, but it just doesn't stack up. Different way of drawing and nothing about it mentioned on his portfolio on his website.

Might be a long shot mate: I'm sure Google Images can do an image search based on a file/image upload. Would uploading a cropped part of a cover image (with no text, just raw art) maybe give you a match to a non-gaming/artist portfolio site?  Might be an avenue to try!

Tags: