Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania IV box art  (Read 40164 times)

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 01:32:05 PM »
Looks like the name of the artist is probably Stephen Peringer. That's what people on the Internet believe, including one who claims he flipped through a library book of '90s video game art where most of the SNES boxes were attributed to him. The resume on his website mentions he did freelance for video game companies at that time. Sadly, there's no mention of Konami on his site or examples of illustrations for them, but the biggest thing that makes me think that maybe this is the guy is he did the box art for Super R-Type (featured in his online portfolio), and despite being airbrushed, the head of the monster on it has a similar look to the kind of monsters on the Konami boxes, particularly the two-headed dragon from the cover of Castlevania IV, or the dinosaur from Turtles in Time.

Based on that little detail, and that some people are convinced it's him, it would appear that Stephen Peringer is the artist.

Now hopefully he'll reply to my email and tell me whether he is or not. ;)
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:25 PM »
its not peringer.

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 12:54:32 AM »
Bronty, you perpetual tease; will you ever disclose who the artist is?
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 12:56:58 AM »
actually I already sent you a pm on that.

Btw, I posted pics in another thread that you might enjoy

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 12:59:56 AM »
btw, you must have seen the same old posts spreading the same misinformation that its peringer that I once saw.

I don't know what peringer told you, but when I asked him years ago he said YES he was the konami artist - except he never worked for them a day in his life.   He did a couple illos for KEMCO not KONAMI and he doesn't know the difference!

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
Heard the name from an Instagram post which led me to Googling it and seeing discussions on forums. I never did hear back from Peringer.

That alternate cover sketch for Castlevania IV is great; the artist has a great sense of action and composition. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before you can make the name public. I've wanted to know for so many years.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline bronty

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2014, 01:27:32 AM »
Thanks a lot and yeah, he was/is super talented.   Stay tuned.   Next year (for the reasons mentioned in my pm).

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:36 PM »
Castlevania needs to go back to that artstyle where everything was action-oriented and the dudes looked like...dudes.

-X

^THIS. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I really don't like Kojima's artwork for Castlevania. With a few exceptions.

The US cover art seems reminiscent of Dracula's Curse. Not sure if that was intentional.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2014, 01:29:59 AM »
The US cover art seems reminiscent of Dracula's Curse. Not sure if that was intentional.

I've always presumed the US covers for 3 and 4 to be by the same artist, hence the similarity.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Nagumo

• Midnight Memory
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2014, 07:31:04 AM »
So the mystery will actually be solved, hmm? Could someone PM me the details as well?

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2014, 08:24:32 AM »
I'm really interested in who this artist is now.

Offline theplottwist

• Canon Literalist
  • Master Hunter
  • プロットツイスト君
  • Awards 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place 2017-07-Sprite Contest 2nd PLace 2016-09-Sprite Contest First Place 2015 - Christmas Award First Place 2015 - Halloween Sprite Contest - Second Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2014, 08:37:03 AM »
Thanks a lot and yeah, he was/is super talented.   Stay tuned.   Next year (for the reasons mentioned in my pm).

I would be interested in receiving a PM about this subject too.
The mastermind behind the "Umbra of Sorrow" project. But not the only one.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »
+1

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
^^I LOVE the Phalanx Cover!  It's such a Non-Sequitur!
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Kaneda

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
I just noticed that Dracula is in the artwork. At first glance I thought he was riding a boat. Heh.
Invest in an oak stake?

Yes    No

Tags: