Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate 3DS (Discussion Thread)  (Read 1821223 times)

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
Re: Castlevania Mirror of Fate ( 3DS per request )
« Reply #855 on: May 23, 2012, 12:37:41 PM »
If you take the question mark boxes out of Mario games would that hurt their appeal to the fanbase?

Well judging by the Castlevania fanbase, I'd imagine so.

Personally, I wouldn't care less, but then again, I'm the guy who wanted "Legend of Zelda: Valley of the Flood" to be real.

Candles for Castlevania, are what coins are for super mario and what the rings are for sonic. Can you imagine a main mario game, without coins or a sonic game without the rings? :rollseyes:

Technically coins are to Mario as hearts and cashbags are to Castlevania, but I see your point.

And yes I could.
IMO, all a Mario game needs is Mario to be considered a Mario game.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:39:36 PM by e105beta »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #856 on: May 23, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »
I don't think I'm ever going to understand why the darn candles are so important to people, but by now I'm done trying.
It helps keep the pace of the original games alive. They're as iconic as the blocks in Mario games.

Offline Munchy

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #857 on: May 23, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »
If both IGA and Cox are going to present this game I hope they are going to do a comedic duo act complete with eye poking and throwing pies.

The running gag would be that they both think of themselves as the producer of the Castlevania series while accusing the other of being a fraud.

See, this would be brilliant at Konami's next live E3 conference.

Offline Mikepjr

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #858 on: May 23, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »
+3
Candles for Castlevania, are what coins are for super mario and what the rings are for sonic. Can you imagine a main mario game, without coins or a sonic game without the rings? :rollseyes:

Thankyouuuuu
That's what i am saying...
It's just.. very synonymous with the series.
Nintendo STILL uses these things.. why? Cause of how synonymous they are with the series... they were taken out of Super Mario Sunshine... and later placed back in the galaxy games... and even in the NEW super mario games...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:43:08 PM by Mikepjr »

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Peeping your dreams....
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #859 on: May 23, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »
+1
If you take the question mark boxes out of Mario games would that hurt their appeal to the fanbase?

For me, it wouldn't, since by erasing the question mark, the box will remain box, it want disappear. Candles have varied designs, so it doesn't matter what shape they are going to have, as long as they are there.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #860 on: May 23, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »
Technically coins are to Mario as hearts and cashbags are to Castlevania, but I see your point.

And yes I could.
IMO, all a Mario game needs is Mario to be considered a Mario game.

I don't say the oposite, all mario games are mario games, since mario is the hero, but they are different genre. I was only referring to the platform mario games.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #861 on: May 23, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »
+2
It helps keep the pace of the original games alive. They're as iconic as the blocks in Mario games.

See, I'd disagree.

The question mark block has, much like the Mario series, not changed since its inception.

Castlevania candles, on the other hand, come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and, starting with Symphony of the Night, have been replaced in certain instances by non-candle objects, i.e. vases, pots, food, etc. Since Castlevania started becoming all about atmosphere, IGA's team would replaced candles with whatever enhanced the atmosphere, especially if candles didn't exactly make sense with the setup.

Hell, Simon's Quest even removed candles from huge parts of the game

Ultimately, my point is that seeing how Lords of Shadow used candles to enhance the parts of the game where they were appropriate, I don't see how shoehorning floating candles into nonsensical areas like the Classicvanias would be better.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:58:54 PM by e105beta »

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #862 on: May 23, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
+1
Castlevania candles, on the other hand, come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and, starting with Symphony of the Night, have been replaced in certain instances by non-candle objects, i.e. vases, pots, food, etc. Since Castlevania started becoming all about atmosphere, IGA's team would replaced candles with whatever enhanced the atmosphere, especially if candles didn't exactly make sense with the setup.

Ultimately, my point is that seeing how Lords of Shadow used candles to enhance the parts of the game where they were appropriate, I don't see how shoehorning floating candles into nonsensical areas like the Classicvanias would be better.
You know, I never thought of it like that. You prove some very good points.

Offline Dengo vlad tepes

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #863 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »
guys CV:HOF is a CO-OP game confirmed by eurogamer ... i gave up 2d castlevanias , los for the life ...

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #864 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:35 PM »
See, I'd disagree.

The question mark block has, much like the Mario series, not changed since its inception.

They could use other objects with the same purpose. Candles don't need to be candles, other objects would do (but in the castle, candles are essential IMO).

But it's not something we'll see with the western development taking control of Castlevania and trying to transform it into an EPIC...

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #865 on: May 23, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
+1

I believe that that formula can work for the best, since that way you don't erase candles from the game and at the same time you can have nice aesthetic areas/enviroments.
Ruler of Chaos

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #866 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
They could use other objects with the same purpose. Candles don't need to be candles, other objects would do (but in the castle, candles are essential IMO).

But it's not something we'll see with the western development taking control of Castlevania and trying to transform it into an EPIC...

They do. Have you actually played LoS?

Offline Dark Nemesis

• Lord of Darkness
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #867 on: May 23, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
guys CV:HOF is a CO-OP game confirmed by eurogamer ... i gave up 2d castlevanias , los for the life ...

When that happened? Link?
Ruler of Chaos

Offline Foffy

• Legendary Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #868 on: May 23, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »

Castlevania: Heart of Fire? :3c

Offline Ring_of_Varda

• Str+30, Con+10, Int+30, Luck+5, Atk+40, Def+14
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
« Reply #869 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »
apparently our favorite imageboard is claiming that some of the art for the game was posted on eurogamer and then taken down.

such things as trevor has a "shoulder pad with a carved angry lion".
"Armor that had a weird pattern all over it, sort of like Gabriel's, and he had a long cloak over him like in his original design from Dracula's Curse. He looked pretty mature, maybe in his late 40's."

hopefully someone actually saved a copy of the artwork so that could be passed around. since finding out that a fair amount of the leaks are coming from a less than reputable source, its all being taken with a grain of salt for me til E3.
"For God to be good, evil is a necessity in this world."

Tags: .....? 

anything