Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: (CONCEPT) 8-bit Castlevania  (Read 27649 times)

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
(CONCEPT) 8-bit Castlevania
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »
8-Bit 'nonlinear' stage based Castlevania

Starring Richter Belmont (using Gors Richter sprites, but with different animations)

Game is planned in 'stages' with an overworld select like in Belmonts Revenge or Megaman,
stages are medium-size with branching paths through each, minimal backtracking required for stage completion.
Game uses 8bit palette, but not 8bit limitations.
Uses full effect of complimentary colors to make each stage 'pop' and have it's own look. Mixes custom and pre-existing Castlevania tiles

(color concept)

PLANNED FEATURES

-No whip, Richter will use the 'Combat Cross' from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
-Full access to all of Richters combat techniques, including backflip and jump-kick.
-Player chooses between two subweapons at the start of each stage, has to utilize individual strengths and weaknesses to plan around each situation.

Don't think of this as a wholly 'original' fan game about Castlevania.
this is really a 're imagining' of a lot of the conventions that arose from Simons Quest.
think of this as a 'remake' of Simon's Quest. it contains towns, the partial open world but at the same time
I'd want to refine the mechanics that were good, and drop the ones that weren't.

'whip like weapon CONCEPT'

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 05:28:30 AM by MRSKELETON »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:39:48 PM »

You could use these too, if you wanted.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
Re: (CONCEPT) 8-bit Castlevania
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:45 PM »
Actually, I'm a bigger fan of the sprites I have; and I'll tell you why
Because they include:

Item Crash
Slide/Kick Jump
Backflip
Running
Air Dash
Jump Kick
Low Kick

your sprites are good for what they are though!!

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »
Yeah I made 'em a long-ass time ago so they don't include new moves.
My new Leon Belmont ones do, though... but you don't want Leon, you want Richter. :P
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »
leon should have a back carthweel/handspring

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »
also for those of you wondering why there's no vampire killer

The Combat Cross requires Richter to be closer for maximum effectiveness. What's planned is that a skilled player can use the combination of Richters moveset + the Combat Cross to easily deal maximum damage to enemies. It also lets you attack more then just straight foreward

There will be another item in the game (planned) that's whip like.

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »
-No whip, Richter will use the 'Combat Cross' from Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

What is this I don't even-

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
No whip, Richter will use the 'Combat Cross'
And the difference is...?
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »
Looks like a good start, be careful about your color palette though. Everything looks neon bright in your screenshot!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline MRSKELETON

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
And the difference is...?

The alt weapon is useful for slow, direct attacks like the whip. The combat cross has substantially less range, but allows Richter to attack in multiple directions

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 11:41:21 AM »
Yeah I made 'em a long-ass time ago so they don't include new moves.
My new Leon Belmont ones do, though... but you don't want Leon, you want Richter. :P

Do you have any 16-bit custom sprites that you've made, that you haven't used that are opensource?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 12:40:01 PM »
16-bit or 16-color?
I have a thread with some sprites that I've designed, and I've made sprites over the years.
The banner above has a lot of mine (Leon, Victor, Pumpkin, Kid Dracula, Sonia, Hector, etc.)
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
16-bit or 16-color?
I have a thread with some sprites that I've designed, and I've made sprites over the years.
The banner above has a lot of mine (Leon, Victor, Pumpkin, Kid Dracula, Sonia, Hector, etc.)
16-Bit dude. It seems like the majority of sprites that you are doing are based on the 8-bit NES sprites. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I would personally like to extend a request to you, in order to start a custom spriting/ripping thread in the forum. That way people can make sprite request for their homemade games as well as request certain stage rips, enemies, etc. I am new to the forum and notice ALOT of people throughout different threads seem to be asking this. Also this is the only way that people can get access to certain spritesheets etc. there's only so many sprite rip forums that you can research and they don't have all the sprites that you need. (Like the Contra HardCorps level maps that I need.)

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:57:09 PM »
Just because the console is 16 bit doesn't make your sprites 16bit. A 16bit image has THOUSANDS of available colors.

The SNES's most common image format is 4bpp. Ala, 4bit. It has a maximum of 16 unique colors. Most consoles after this used that same format as a standard for fast sprites and other imagery. SotN used 4bit as well for most of it's things. The GBA lived on it, and the DS still used it a lot. All the current 2D CV games used 99% 4bit imagery, with the exception of Adventure Rebirth.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 12:59:45 PM by uzo »

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »
Uzo's right.  16-bit 'sprites' could have far many colors.
It's a common mistake.
You must obey Da Rulez!

Tags: