Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: 3D Artists in Video Game Design?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »
     Are there any 3D Artists on the forum that are in Video Game Design? I have been on the forum for a while now and I think that I've seen 1 or 2 that share similar skills sets to myself while checking out their fan-game projects. I've been at similar type forums like Polycount, but I was curious to how many are on this site.

As a recent graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Video Game Art and Design I am looking to network with similar and like minded people here at the dungeon and what better way to start off a conversation with our love of Castlevania. This thread is for not really students, but graduates in similar fields, as well as industry professionals, indy guys and such.

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
+2
I'm not an artist, but I am an indie game company owner, game designer, coder, and assist my artist with coloring.

Offline TheCruelAngel

• Sportin' Boxes since 1998
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:23 PM »
I did a crap ton of concept design work for an indie game that never followed through (fine enough by me, I realized some of those designs were kind of bad...)

I'm now a professional software developer with a software giant, biding my time/gaining experience before moving to a game company. I used to do testing/test software creation/programming guideline creation(and proof reading)/checklist test creation at the big N, but I'm much happier with my current position than there, even if my work isn't VG related ATM. In the next year or so (after I get more used to my position) I plan to start doing indie work at home, especially since my wife will be graduating with her master's in game script writing from Full Sail.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend hitting up GDC with a business card that links to your online portfolio, mingle with industry big wigs, etc. It's pricey, but you can make a lot of great connections that way.

Also, I bet if we gathered all of the talent from the dungeon to collaborate together to make a game, we'd have a pretty sweet product.

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:42:02 PM »
I did a crap ton of concept design work for an indie game that never followed through (fine enough by me, I realized some of those designs were kind of bad...)

I'm now a professional software developer with a software giant, biding my time/gaining experience before moving to a game company. I used to do testing/test software creation/programming guideline creation(and proof reading)/checklist test creation at the big N, but I'm much happier with my current position than there, even if my work isn't VG related ATM. In the next year or so (after I get more used to my position) I plan to start doing indie work at home, especially since my wife will be graduating with her master's in game script writing from Full Sail.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend hitting up GDC with a business card that links to your online portfolio, mingle with industry big wigs, etc. It's pricey, but you can make a lot of great connections that way.

Also, I bet if we gathered all of the talent from the dungeon to collaborate together to make a game, we'd have a pretty sweet product.

Well I just recently relocated from California to Florida. I am currently unemployed and actively seeking work in the industry. I do have a website: http://www.mrmauricejohnson.net/, however I am basically tossing all my 3D work on it from school and redoing it from scratch with some new tools that I have acquired in the past weeks. Compared to what is out now and what it coming with the next generation consoles I basically suck. I am still new in the industry and I need more training.

I would love to be able to network on the forum with like minded individuals be able to create not a fan-game but Castlevania inspired 3D Environments and art. That would be cool to do in the future and I don't think anything like that has been done in the forum before.

I always wanted to go to GDC and I do have professional business cards made. (A crap ton and they look good too.) I never had the chance to with school and military full time, then it became just school full time with double the amount of work especially towards graduation. I missed out on a lot of cool things like Comic Con and GDC. I heard there was a East Coast type GDC but I can't find any info about that.

Right now I am just concentrating on trying to get my work level to a decent quality level to compete.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
+1
I do 3D models.... but that's for work.  They have to be water-tight solid models, which differs from videogame models, which can have intersecting geometry.

I have helped some people with 3D work.  Some people are even in this board, I think.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:04:46 PM »
I do 3D models.... but that's for work.  They have to be water-tight solid models, which differs from videogame models, which can have intersecting geometry.

I have helped some people with 3D work.  Some people are even in this board, I think.
Some video game companies indeed need water-tight models.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 08:32:59 PM »
I ever wanted to ask a pro about that, 3D is easier to do than 2D drawings? Ignoring the textures part.
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline uzo

• Now then...
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 12:58:47 AM »
+2
It all depends on where your talents lay as an artist. Talented sculptors will handle 3D better, while 2D animators will perform much better in 2D animation.

From a game production stand point there is a big difference depending on the application of what you're doing. Here is a brief explanation:

3D excels in a longer running project, with a wider scope. 2D excels in smaller projects with a more narrow scope.

A 2D drawing is more effective when I do not need a large amount of things added. Lets say we have an RPG town, and we have an NPC. All he does is stand in one position. All he can do is talk to you. I may not even need animation. In this case 2D is much faster and more cost effective to produce.

Think now if I need a 3D model. This NPC needs to be completely, and accurately modeled. Even if only a few areas are going to visible, the whole model must be complete. Generally this means he should be animated too, as that detail will be expected of a 3D game. This goes for everything, even if only used in one location.

However, when doing a larger scale asset, such as a playable character. Say I have 30 animations, hand drawn. If I need another the artist must spend the time drawing the next animation, frame by frame. A constant consumption of resources. Now with a 3D model, as long as I have the model already done, all that needs to be added is the new animation sequence, which takes less time to do than the full drawn out 2D frames. All you are doing is moving points on a model, not drawing the frames from scratch.

Further more, if I have a character with 30 animations, and I want an alternate costume, thats 30 full animations that have to be redrawn, colored, and finalized. Even with an existing base drawing, it does not really cut down on the time spent. It is also incredibly expensive. Instead with a 3D model, you just have another model created, with the same animation anchor points, and it will fit in with all the existing animations. MUCH much easier, faster, and less expensive.

In summary:

3D models take a standard set rate of time to create as a base. Everything has to have this base level of time and energy spent making sure it looks good and is formed right from all angles. However once you have the model, the animation process is considerably less expensive and faster to work with. You don't have to make the model over again every frame of animation you have. It is EXTREMELY reusable.

2D drawn frames are quick to implement small props, as one single frame of animation isn't as time consuming as a whole 3D model. However that time spent on each frame adds up extremely quick. This costs a lot as you need more and more from the animation. In the long run, it will greatly out cost 3D animation every time.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »
Thanks, now I understand why companies prefer 3D (other than this photo-realistic thing).
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 02:31:48 AM »
Man, Uzo is a wizard when it comes to this stuff :o

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
Ive been doin 3d stuff since Morrowind was new. Got into it to make custom stuff for that game. Still use either max or blender atleast once a month if not more. I HATED blender with a passion and swore Id never use it but I really like 2.6. Ive made a few morrowind mods that I released and lots of oblivion mods. I made a few for skyrim but it never caught me and kept me like the other 2 did

Im way better at 3d than I am 2d. I cant do pixel art beyond 8bit (even that) worth a damn and Im not really an artist. But I cant make stuff convincingly well in 3d and most of the time make it look good with plain flat textures I find online lol. I have a really good eye for color tho so I can edit images to make textures and make stuff look really good but I cant make much of anything 2d from scratch.

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 07:39:31 AM »
I'm a good modeler, but I find texturing tedious.
However, I mostly model objects, not people or animals/monsters.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
Jorge, you work as an architect?
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Gunlord

• Wandering Mendicant
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Meow.
  • Awards Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • My blog
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
I think Jorgey is a jeweler, isn't he? That would mean he makes models of the necklaces, bracelets, etc. or whatever he's working on before he starts making them IRL.

Check me out at gunlord500.wordpress.com!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phhCrFZek44

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
I'm a good modeler, but I find texturing tedious.
However, I mostly model objects, not people or animals/monsters.
I think every modeler hates texturing! lol Do you have any examples of your 3D work?

Tags:

anything