Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Accidently bought a bootleg King Diamond album  (Read 4292 times)

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
Accidently bought a bootleg King Diamond album
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:56:12 AM »
I was at a metal market today and bought a whole bunch of excellent CDs. One of them, however, as I soon found out, was not a genuine album of any kind but a bootleg live album, containing songs from three concerts, by the bands Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, in 1984 and 1987 consecutively. I should have checked better, as the CD box does not contain the name of a record company or anything, but looks nice, for a bootleg of course.

Sound quality is dreadful, which is not surprising for a bootleg live album; making it quite the utter garbage and me an idiot for paying 5$ for it; yet whoever made this put quite an effort into designing a boxart and everything. The cardboard at the front even has photos of Diamond inside its folds.

I thought those Diamond fans among you would like to see this "rare piece" as some websides on the internet selling it call it.

"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Offline JR

• Home Gym Rat
  • Master Hunter
  • That Star Wars will make a million bucks someday.
  • Awards The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
Re: Accidently bought a bootleg King Diamond album
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:19:03 PM »
You're right, that is pretty good packaging for a bootleg.

You should see the Danzig bootleg I have called the Twist of Cain Demos. It's got some ugly orange cover with no other images or artwork inside. It's just got some poor quality demos from when the band was still Samhain. It's pretty terrible overall. I really just got it for the novelty, though. Got it from a record store in my hometown that has since closed...they had all sorts of cool shit. The guy who rang me up even warned me, "so you know this is a bootleg, right?" Yep. That's why I'm buying it.
It's like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, but instead it's Who Wants Fried Chicken? I do.

Offline PFG9000

• No, not the gun
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Fan of all things Floyd
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:44:36 AM »
I once bought a Pink Floyd bootleg, knowing full well it was a bootleg, for $100: 

And I don't regret it, as it was the only way to hear a lot of the stuff on there at the time.  It was a 4-CD set and had most of their unreleased songs and early versions that fans would hear about when reading up on their history.  This was around 1996, so you couldn't just boot up Napster and download all that stuff back then.

If you're a big fan of an artist, it can be cool to have something that's not official.  Just like if you collect Castlevania stuff, it might be nice to have a poster of unofficial artwork, or a modded/Repro cartridge, or something.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 02:13:23 PM »
That's pretty cool, rare live recordings from the 80s, even if the audio is crap. Kind of like a piece of history you were never supposed to hear.

I still get a chuckle about how I bought of bootleg DVD set of Outlaw Star on ebay about 10 years back. It was shipped from Utah and whoever sent it to me put an ad for the Mormon Church inside lol. Since then I've bought the official DVD set (more discs so much higher quality) but I still have the bootleg with the Mormon promo as well.

Offline Mooning Freddy

• The scent of my butt will set your soul wandering for eternity!
  • Master Hunter
  • I simply love children.
  • Awards The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 09:48:26 AM »
+1
I still get a chuckle about how I bought of bootleg DVD set of Outlaw Star on ebay about 10 years back. It was shipped from Utah and whoever sent it to me put an ad for the Mormon Church inside lol. Since then I've bought the official DVD set (more discs so much higher quality) but I still have the bootleg with the Mormon promo as well.

lol! Remember kids, piracy is only okay when approved by Jesus!  ;D
"Yes, I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available, because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body."
~Charlie Sheen

Tags: