Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania: The Adventure papercraft diorama  (Read 12645 times)

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
Re: Castlevania: The Adventure papercraft diorama
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »
I decided on the first level of Operation C for my next project.  I also considered level 3 (jungle) and level 5 (technological with facehuggers in tanks).

Here's the sheet I put together.  The blue is just there to help me with layout, it was still printed out in black and white.

Here are the two sniper towers/platforms.  The legs are set between colored pencils so that they'll dry more-or-less straight (warpage is a always a problem with wet glue and cardboard/paper):

Here's the front walkway, the two sniper towers, and a couple of the rotted steel frame columns.  I had originally planned to cut out all the little spaces in those columns (which is why I edited out all the interior shadows from the game graphics, because mine would have had real ones), but it became immediately clear to me that it would take literally hours to do that, and they would likely be so fragile that they'd tear apart in my hands, so, I've settled for solid constructs for the time being.  That said, I'm thinking about making some new ones, from scratch, out of latticed thin strips of paper/cardboard, but, that'd probably be pretty labor-intensive too, so, I don't know if I'll do it or not.

Here they are mocked up on the background (nothing is permanently attached yet):

I'll probably work on the crane head/hook next and then mess around with the rotted steel columns some more before assembling the base/background and then doing the figures.

I'm probably going to have fudge some things, because the forced perspective in the game won't really work in 3-dimensions, at least not without looking weird.  For example, the bridge's surface is angled upwards in the screenshot (I made mine level, like it would be if you were really there), and the water horizon (i.e., the background) would never be all the way up to the top of the skyline in real life.  I may be wrong, but I believe the lower legs/struts of the background structures are supposed to be reflections in the water, although it's difficult to tell for sure with gray-scale graphics.  It could just be foggy/misty down there too, which is probably the approach I'm going to take to conceal the lower struts/legs (I plan on putting a low screen/hedge layer down in front, between them and the bridge).

Ha, just like classic Contra, hard as hell!

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Patraw

• Dracula's door mat
  • Hunter in Training
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Mark's Art Page
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 11:09:03 AM »
+1

Materials:
Cardboard, game graphics printed out on white paper, white lined notebook paper, white glue, newsprint, two cotton balls, and permanent marker.

Dimensions:
8.5 cm (3.3") x 7.7 cm (3.0") [widest point x highest point]

Time:
Six days: June 17 - 22, 2014.

What the hell is going on here?!

Offline Dremn

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 01:44:02 PM »
That is so cool! Love this idea!

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 07:14:46 PM »
Oh my fucking GOD! These looks FANTASTIC!!!!!

Major props for you man. Continue the great work.