Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => General Castlevania Discussion => Topic started by: Thomas Belmont on October 22, 2007, 09:16:19 AM

Title: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Thomas Belmont on October 22, 2007, 09:16:19 AM
Do we have to update our PSPs to play Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles? I think the last time I updated I updated to 2.00.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: DarkLavos on October 22, 2007, 09:40:09 AM
I dont see why you would need to update your psp to play a game.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: efin on October 22, 2007, 09:42:36 AM
In Reply To #1

Don't know yet, but for goodness' sake make sure you get a homebrew enabled firmware (don't get the official updates).
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Thomas Belmont on October 22, 2007, 09:56:33 AM
In Reply To #1

Don't know yet, but for goodness' sake make sure you get a homebrew enabled firmware (don't get the official updates).




What's a homebrew enabled firmware?
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: efin on October 22, 2007, 10:28:48 AM
In Reply To #4

Firmwares that have been hacked to let you use homebrew games/applications, including all sorts of emulators, music writing tools, games, etc.

Go here (http://www.psp-hacks.com) and see what you can do.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Profbeanburrito on October 22, 2007, 11:43:13 AM
In Reply To #2

Well, unfortunately you do sometimes. I just bought Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP and it wouldn't let me play it unless it was updated. Don't really know why. Probably a security thing?
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: DarkLavos on October 22, 2007, 12:40:07 PM
In Reply To #6

Really? thats stupid, if you can't update you're screwed with new games.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Gnarkillbelmont on October 22, 2007, 01:35:08 PM
How do I update my PSP?
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Thomas Belmont on October 22, 2007, 01:45:29 PM
If I update, and for some reason don't like the updates, can I  just restore my PSP to it's default factory settings?
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: efin on October 22, 2007, 02:11:56 PM
In Reply To #9

If you update to a homebrew firmware, you can ALWAYS update to an official version (I guarantee you won't), but if you update to the most recent official firmware, you'll have to wait until they come up with a downgrader or hack for that version (a couple of months usually).
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: efin on October 22, 2007, 02:14:26 PM
In Reply To #8

Go here (http://www.psp-hacks.com) and read some of their forum threads about how to do it properly (if you want homebrew firmware, that is).
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Aridale on October 22, 2007, 02:39:37 PM
I dont think there is a reason to the games making you update other than to make sure ppl buying and playing games are running the most uptodate firmware to try to fight back on homebrew.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: le052383 on October 22, 2007, 05:41:07 PM
If I recall,a recent firmware update overclocked the psp to make future games run.

Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Thomas Belmont on October 22, 2007, 05:49:41 PM
In Reply To #9

If you update to a homebrew firmware, you can ALWAYS update to an official version (I guarantee you won't), but if you update to the most recent official firmware, you'll have to wait until they come up with a downgrader or hack for that version (a couple of months usually).




So since I updated my PSP to 2.00 last year, or whenever it was, I can't downgrade back to 1.00 even if I default it back to the factory settings?
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: zachier on October 22, 2007, 06:01:21 PM
Judging from the game's release date(which is tomorrow), I would say it will require at least version 3.52 or 3.60. 3.71 just came out recently, and I'm guessing that production of the game began before the latest firmware was released.

Right now I'm on 3.52 M33-4, but if the game requires me to update, then I'll have no choice but to update to 3.71 M33-2, which is still unstable at the time being.

EDIT: @Thomas Belmont: Restoring your PSP back to its factory setting won't change your firmware at all; just your settings. There is a way to downgrade any firmware, however. It's called Pandora's Battery. Not only that it can downgrade any PSP, but it can also unbrick any bricked PSPs as well. Search it on google.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: efin on October 22, 2007, 06:06:24 PM
In Reply To #13

Actually it properly clocked the 333MHz cpu to 333MHz. It had been underclocked from the beginning, unless you had a hacked firmware and had been doing it all along.

In Reply To #14

No you can downgrade now, since it's been so long. They're up to 3.71 or something now. For v2.00 it's pretty easy to downgrade, actually. Just so you know, if you get a hacked one, it takes 2 simple steps to get your PSP back to v1.50.

Seriously, you owe it to yourself to try it out. It's the only thing that makes the PSP worth owning, IMO.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: le052383 on October 22, 2007, 06:15:11 PM
@ zachier , I think you meant Efin and not me since I have no problems with my psp and I have downgraded my psp a few weeks ago.  I downgraded it from 304 OE to 150 and applied the lasted custom firmware 3.71 .

I heard that one of the older firmware (I believe it was 3.65 version 4) has the ability to unbrick a psp.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: zachier on October 22, 2007, 06:32:56 PM
@ zachier , I think you meant Efin and not me since I have no problems with my psp and I have downgraded my psp a few weeks ago.  I downgraded it from 304 OE to 150 and applied the lasted custom firmware 3.71 .

I heard that one of the older firmware (I believe it was 3.65 version 4) has the ability to unbrick a psp.

My bad; that was actually for Thomas Belmont. =P Anyway, yeah, you're probably talking about Pandora's Battery, which downgrades and unbricks PSPs.

So you upgraded to the latest CFW, huh? I did too, but I didn't like it. So I went back to 3.52 M33-2. But, like I said, if DXC requires 3.71, then I'll have no choice but to update. I'm really looking forward to this game. =)
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: le052383 on October 22, 2007, 07:01:55 PM
I don't really tried any homebrews as of recent since I am waiting till they fix the bugs for the snes and other emulators. I only updated my firmware from the current version to get ready for DXC (which I prepaid in full and can't wait to pick up tomorrow), although I have realized that FFA, which came out recently works with 351 firmware.  As such, I am not sure why the lastest frimware is worser than the previous version and is wondering why.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: efin on October 22, 2007, 07:05:55 PM
If you have a friend with a PSP, the Capcom emulator is THE FREAKIN' BEST THING EVAR.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: zachier on October 22, 2007, 07:23:33 PM
In Reply To #19

Most emulators work fine nowadays. SNES9xTYL 0.4.2, a SNES emulator for example, is almost bug-free. Unfortunately, Dracula X runs really slow; however, if you play around with the settings, you should get a pretty decent speed for it.

Anyway, other popular emulators include: NESterJ(NES), DGEN(Sega Genesis), gpSP(GBA), and Daedelus(N64). PS1 games are also available, though an emulator won't be necessary as it is embedded within the firmware already.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: le052383 on October 22, 2007, 07:52:13 PM
In Reply To #21

My brother has another psp, but it is firmware 270 something.  Although my brother's psp is the old one like mines, I assume that the firmware can be still downgraded since afterall, ppl found out how to downgrade the silm psps.

He lets me mod his, so I think I should try it and get the capcom emulator.  Thanks
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Thomas Belmont on October 22, 2007, 08:38:26 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. However, are Pandora's Battery and homebrews safe or can it screw up the PSP?
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: DoctaMario on October 22, 2007, 10:06:39 PM
In Reply To #23

Well it can brick your PSP but the chances are slim. Most of the time people brick because they dont read the directions.
Title: Re: Dracula X Chronicles and PSP question
Post by: Death on October 23, 2007, 04:39:13 AM
Custom Firmware kicks ass. The Castlevania games I currently have on my PSP are:

Castlevania
Simon's Quest
Dracula's Curse
Super Castlevania IV
Dracula X
Bloodlines
Chronicles
Symphony of the Night
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow

And hundreds of other NES, SNES, Genesis, and GBA games.