Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => General Castlevania Discussion => Topic started by: Death on September 15, 2007, 05:03:33 AM

Title: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Death on September 15, 2007, 05:03:33 AM
Posted in the order they were released.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Dark Nemesis on September 15, 2007, 05:29:48 AM
I've voted for Symphony,but i also like the same:Draculas Curse,Super Castlevania IV and Aria of Sorrow.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Mr Sven on September 15, 2007, 05:36:54 AM
It's hard to say what the best game in the series is when the castleroids are so different from the oldskool games.

I voted for Aria but Rondo/Draculas Curse and super IV would have been my other choices
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: LoneChild on September 15, 2007, 07:10:45 AM
Belmont
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Gecko on September 15, 2007, 09:01:24 AM
What? No Legacy of Darkness love?
 :-[
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Shadowserg on September 15, 2007, 09:15:29 AM
SotN  8)
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Abnormal Freak on September 15, 2007, 12:24:22 PM
IV, followed by I, followed by Bloodlines, followed by SOTN, followed by III, followed by II, followed by Rondo and SNES Dracula X (which are tied); I don't really wanna rank 'em beyond that. :o
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Mr Sven on September 15, 2007, 03:28:40 PM
Im honestly shocked :o and supprised that neither Bloodlines or chronicles has gotten a vote yet
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Marto on September 15, 2007, 04:26:15 PM
In Reply To #8

I would have voted for Chronicles, because I thought it rocked, but I was swayed toward Lament due to personal bias, since it was the castlevania that broke my virginity to the series. (Wow, that sounded strange...)

As for Bloodline, compare it to portrait, and the game seems like a god.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Mr Sven on September 15, 2007, 05:12:35 PM
In Reply To #9

IMO Chronicles was a beautiful game artistically - most say that super IV was the best in making the game look gothic but i think they are both on par with each other - I prefer supers music yeah but what about the giant crying statue in chronicles? then of course the glass knight at the top of the church and the massive painting in the first level... it nearly made me wet my pants.

Bloodlines has ace music and 2 playble characters both with unique playing styles, I prefer this to Dracula XX / Vampires kiss though it's just a little short. The music is a little more dancy but great and memorable none the less ( prayer of a tragic queen needs more love!)

besides - chronicles was bitch arse hard and you needed balls of steel to play the non-arranged mode during and past the level medusa appears in. I like a game that doesnt treat players like inept one button monkeys
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: CVfan13 on September 16, 2007, 08:26:16 AM
Curse of Darkness!! Really only because its the best game I've played; I haven't played symphony or any of the really good games like that...
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Steve on September 16, 2007, 12:04:44 PM
Definitely Symphony.  Even after all these years, no other game in the series has surpassed its beautiful and well-considered presentation.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: The Silverlord on September 17, 2007, 01:29:57 AM
If this is the definitive poll, then Castlevania IV it is.  Accessible, atmospheric and immersive.

Aria of Sorrow comes in firm second place for me, but there's only one vote.

Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: DoctaMario on September 17, 2007, 12:00:12 PM
In Reply To #5

There's some LoD love right here!

Great poll BTW, listing all the games in order!

Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: crisis on September 17, 2007, 02:42:00 PM
For IGA it is Dlacura's Culse,

But for me it'd have to be SotN.. and hopefully soon the 1999 game
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Donvermicelli on September 18, 2007, 11:05:29 AM
I seriously couldn't decide between: Rondo,SOTN,64 and AOS though I really love the swift foreward dashing in HOD.
Voted AOS since the Soma idea was brilliant.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: gamegrinder on September 19, 2007, 04:00:49 PM
Yeah, I gotta say Dracula's Curse as well.  For such a great game to still be playable today is a testament to how fun it is.

Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: John Capricorn on October 01, 2007, 04:49:56 PM
I'm the only one who voted for Cirlce?  Noooooooo
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: zggzdydp on October 01, 2007, 05:20:01 PM
My favorite games are Dracula's Curse, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Legacy of Darkness and Circle of the Moon.

Why are Vampire Killer (http://photo4.yupoo.com/20070108/195540_863734167_ftccaimu.jpg) on MSX2 and Haunted Castle (http://photo4.yupoo.com/20070108/195546_253904251_uonumtbc.jpg) on Arcade not in the list?
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: VoDkA on October 01, 2007, 05:49:32 PM
Where's Order of Shadows? 

Seriously, though, I voted for LoD simply because I feel it made the leap from 2D to 3D better than any other game has (or likely will, though here's hoping that IGA still has a few tricks up his sleeve that can wow me).
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Munchy on October 01, 2007, 10:07:58 PM
I'd say Bloodlines, Circle of the Moon, and Rondo, I guess. Close seconds are SCV4 and Aria of Sorrow.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: SymboliC on October 03, 2007, 02:47:24 PM


Symphony of the Night, no matter how highly praised and popular it is.

I really like ALL the Castlevania games I've played however, so it's hard to choose.

Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: S10nett on October 03, 2007, 04:06:34 PM
In Reply To #20 You know I read a past article in which Iga said that despite LOI and COD that he still feels he hasn't made his "ideal" Castlevania game. Hm.

Here's to hoping Iga finds Castlevania's niche in its next outing.

PS - I tell you what though, if was in charge of Vania, man I would take it in a direction ala DMC but make it Castlevania; gorgeous backgrounds, deep combat fighting system, interactive enviroments, and inovative platforming.

Of course bring in all the classic enemies and adapt them uniquely to the 3D enviroment like they did with Medusa in LOI, brilliant.

Rewrite its gothic history and retranslate it to modern times to a modern descendent of the Belmont clan who's perception of his families heroics in "his" mind at least, is nothing but hogwash and myth.

Until he meets the fabled Alucard... and then things start to change. He begins to question everything - cool huh.

Wait, wrong thread.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: TheCruelAngel on October 03, 2007, 05:05:17 PM
As wonderful as Symphony of the Night is, Dracula's Curse and CV IV are definitely my top two, followed by Symphony and LoD.

So the hard question was between CV IV and Dracula's Curse, I went with Dracula's Curse since I really enjoyed the multiple character aspect and just it's raw hardcore awesome fun. :D
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Kamirine on October 03, 2007, 06:42:13 PM
Castlevania 3.  Hands down.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: DarkLavos on October 03, 2007, 07:34:29 PM
Rondo of blood I never get tired of it even when beating it multiple times in a row and SCV4 is close second.
Title: Best Game in the Series
Post by: NicholasDuffy on October 05, 2007, 03:31:55 PM
Hey I am new to the forums but A HUGE Castlevania fan. To get back on topic I chose "Super Castlevania IV". If I could choose more I would choose SOTN,HoD,AoS,DoS, and The first Castlevania.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: A n t r a x x on October 05, 2007, 06:17:14 PM
Despite it's skewed difficulty, there's something that just remains so magical about the design and execution of SOTN.

-- Something just so fun about it still. I also think this will be made even more so when you get it on a handheld system.

SOTN has a very pick-up-and play nature to it. JUst pick it up, goof around. It's perfect for the PSP.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: snakes3425 on December 01, 2008, 09:16:33 PM
I'm going to go with Symphony of the Night, for some reason it just has the dark gothic tone that Castlevania is known for.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: CapComMDb on December 01, 2008, 10:28:27 PM
I personally find the SotN-style games to be different from the level-based ones. It's really a different design because one is based on exploration while the other is based on getting through the level. I still feel this is true even in Richter mode. So I would have to pick two.

For SotN-style...SotN. I don't think any other game in the series has matched it due to (a) the huge leap it took, (b) the superior visuals and audio. Sorry, but the DS just can't cut it.

For the oldschool level-based ones... While I like DX and CV3, I have to go with CV4 for the whip. That was an awesome design.

The 3D games I would probably consider to be different as well. With that, I'd pick LoI. CoD failed to solve the problems present in LoI.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: darkwzrd4 on December 02, 2008, 07:43:03 AM
What no Order of Ecclesia?  Not that is better than SotN.  It's close, but not quite there.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Long John Silver on December 02, 2008, 11:26:53 AM
In Reply To #31

this topic was made like 3 months ago and necromanced from the dead few days ago. ooe wasn't out when this was made.


that's one of the reasons reviving dead topics is a bad thing btw. people comment on outdated info as if it was made recently. :o
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: shelverton. on December 02, 2008, 12:15:45 PM

this topic was made like 3 months ago and necromanced from the dead few days ago.

Make that a whoppin' 1 year and 3 months ago. I kid you not.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Long John Silver on December 02, 2008, 04:54:12 PM
whoops. yeah, even better with that additional year. :o
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: The Last Belmont on December 02, 2008, 06:10:28 PM
Akumajou Densetsu, best castlevania game ever, varied environments, epic story, multiple endings and one of the longest boss fights (dracula) of the 8 and 16 bit eras. Interchangeable characters, alucard, this game is the epitome of greatness and is the one I feel really pulls the player in the most with hard but manageable difficulty that starts out easy and gradually gets really tough (though not as tough as C1 that game still holds the title of hardest castlevania game ever) giving the player time to get good enough to adjust to it. It also has one of the best castlevania soundtracks ever.

I like a game that doesnt treat players like inept one button monkeys

I didn't think the x68000 version was that hard bro. Yeah it's insanely tough but mainly due to cheap parts like the doppleganger fight, and werewolf fight, And the last level of course but that's to be expected. The dracula fight I found really easy he gives you a heads up as to where he's teleporting to and the monster form is really freakin' slow.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Kaneco on December 02, 2008, 10:25:59 PM
I believe the very first one was the best since it was the
foundation of the series and had the perfect theme and
pretty flawless, also kept a simple story.

Actually, IMO it has to be between CVIII & Rondo of Blood.

My personal favorite is Bloodlines, it was the game that
got me addicted to the series. ;D
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: AlucardIsGOD on December 16, 2008, 08:56:55 AM
Its a toss up between Dracula's cure and bloodlines for me
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: The Last Belmont on December 16, 2008, 01:51:48 PM
What no Order of Ecclesia?
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: The Belmont Pizza on December 18, 2008, 05:50:38 AM
I vote super castlevania IV because back then, It was a huge improvement over last 3 castlevania for the NES. Epically that eight directions whip. I also remember back in the 90s, I used to play this game everyday and beat the games from first level to last. Damn, I wonder when the hell are we ever going to have eight directions whip back again?
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: AlucardIsGOD on December 21, 2008, 11:44:14 AM
I vote super castlevania IV because back then, It was a huge improvement over last 3 castlevania for the NES. Epically that eight directions whip. I also remember back in the 90s, I used to play this game everyday and beat the games from first level to last. Damn, I wonder when the hell are we ever going to have eight directions whip back again?

I wish they would have added multiple pathways and stuff that was in Dracula's curse already.  and yeah bring back multi directional whipping though you could argue thats what made super castlevania 4 easier then the first 3
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Saroor on December 22, 2008, 11:51:27 PM
I voted SCV4. The music was just so awesome, and the gameplay was great, even without branching paths. There is something about that game and super metroid. They just ooze with some sort of snes aura that I can't explain.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Profbeanburrito on December 23, 2008, 12:35:33 PM
It's sad that Adventure, Bloodlines and 64 haven't gotten any love here!

If I could vote again, I'd totally vote 64, but Dracula's Curse is just so superior.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: A n t r a x x on December 23, 2008, 12:45:05 PM
While I don't like old topics being dug up, I think it's ok here, since all the n00bs can post their important queries about this here, and not make a bazillion similar topics.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Saner on December 23, 2008, 12:45:51 PM
wtf.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: A n t r a x x on December 23, 2008, 12:47:28 PM
wtf.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: paletteswapmonster on December 23, 2008, 12:56:14 PM
Ugh, I might just end up posting a duplicate topic if this keeps up.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Long John Silver on December 23, 2008, 01:15:44 PM
In Reply To #45

um. it's saner, he posts stupid shit like that all the time. why are you shocked by it? it's nothing new. :o
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Death on February 04, 2010, 05:32:25 AM
Hey guys, I reset the poll. 3 games have come out since I created this poll and I thought it would be interesting to reset it and have everyone vote again. I didn't include Judgement for obvious reasons.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: darkwzrd4 on February 04, 2010, 10:26:46 AM
I say LoI.  I was the first decent 3D castlevania and the rooms don't get redundant like in CoD.  While there is armor and other equipable items, you don't level up so you don't ever really get to pwn the enemies.  The five portal room is great because it reduces the amount of back tracking.  You get to perform vaious whip combos.  You get to swing on using the whip (only game other than SCV4 and Bloodlines).
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: MeSako on February 04, 2010, 11:14:15 AM
You get to swing on using the whip (only game other than SCV4 and Bloodlines).

Not much of a swing in LoI. More like a ridiculus jump thingie.
Really, when I first saw that I was like "WTF, that was just plain stupid!".
But still, the game is awesome!

OT
I had, as many other, a hard time choosing a fav game since I love the series. Easier to pick the game I don't like.
But I want for Draculas Curse, for the very reason of different characters, different ways and the amount of difficulty (which later games lack).
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: A. Rex on February 04, 2010, 06:22:31 PM
Personally, I felt CV3's difficulty amounted mostly to "Throw as many bone pillars and axe armors as you can at them. Oh, and don't forget to send flying skeletons at them while they're on the stairs. I hear they love that."


Anyway, I chose SCV4, since it has the right balance of difficulty. Not controller throwing hard, but not a cakewalk either. Plus it's generally fantastic in all other areas as well.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Lumas on February 04, 2010, 10:01:26 PM
Super Castlevania 4

Nuff Said..
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: SCV on April 05, 2010, 01:24:40 AM
SotN  8)
Second it
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Mobius on April 05, 2010, 03:05:47 PM
*doesn't even bat an eye* Still SCV IV. Can not, for the life of me, get tired of playing that game, hearing that music, or seeing all the sights it has to offer.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Felix on April 05, 2010, 03:52:27 PM
My Top 10

10: The Adventure

This game is just so awesome. While I complain about the whip upgrades and Chris walking sloooooooooooow, it's still a fun game.

9: The Adventure II: Belmont's Revenge

Getting better, they managed to upgrade the Adventure and make a Rocking Sequel to The Adventure. Expect a hard game though. If you aren't experienced, then at Soleiyu, you will be UNFORGIVEN!!!

8: Rondo of Blood

While 2 characters, it's too unfocused on what it should be: classical. Unless you give Richter a hug (literally), you'll be wussing all the game with Maria. Heh.

7: Dracula X

I'll admit it, the level design is quite poor, but it's more challenging, and the A.I. Is much less forgiving. Music is better BTW.

6: Bloodlines

All hail Bloodlines! Definitely different from all old-school CVs, due to a larger variety of stages. Just me tho. Unlike Rondo, the game will be equally as unforgiving whether character you choose.

5: Symphony of the Night

Oh dear. I believe SoTN deserves a (shameful, by the way) 5th place. The music is quite nice, but sometimes I feel like I'm walking aimlessly. Plus, Alucard runs like a slug. Or so i feel.

4: Legacy of Darkness

4. Playable. Character. Oh. Mah. Gawd. The Villa. Ortega, HOLY CRAP SKELETONS ON MOTORCYCLES!!!. This game is just so awesome. Better than the PS2 entries IMO.

3: Aria of Sorrow

Oh dear. The Sorrow series. Probably the best subseries in CV. Soma is just soooooooooo hot awesome. She's a girl right? Soul sucking bastard, a shitload of special spells, A MERCHANT THAT BUYS YOUR FUCKING EFFING USELESS EQUIPMENT, and a nice story.

2: Dawn of Sorrow

After IGA ditched Kojima, we get ANIME STYLE!!!! The story slightly improved, music is just as awesome, although not as limited as Aria. Also, Soma's anime alter-ego kicks ass. Yes, otaku over here. Sue me.

Now, After SoTN's miserable fail, who's #1???

*Simon's Theme plays*

1:Super Castlevania IV

YES!!! SCIV!!! The controls are friendly, the music is great, the graphics are awesome. Too bad the team is no longer with Konami.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Neverafter on April 10, 2010, 06:01:58 PM
Oh, I accidentally voted for Dracula X when I ment to vote for Rondo of Blood
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Neverafter on April 10, 2010, 06:13:52 PM
What do people see in Super Castlevania IV. I've been playing it lately and I can't put my fingure on it. Is it the 8-directional whip swinging and the so called perfect controls. There have been games that had much better controls and put that 8-directional junk to much better use but they were still pretty mediocre. (ex. chakan the forever man or Earthworm Jim 2)
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: uzo on April 11, 2010, 11:22:20 AM
What do people see in Super Castlevania IV.

GET LOST
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Profbeanburrito on April 11, 2010, 12:43:01 PM
GET LOST

I second that. How can you not like that game. Yeah the directional whip is awesome, but the level design, the music and the overall atmosphere just make that game perfect.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: crisis on April 11, 2010, 01:04:25 PM
You had to have played it when it first came out in '91. It really took advantage of the power of the snes, & it was just a fun game. It contains the very essence of Castlevania. The few veterans here that's been with the series since day 1 know exactly what I'm talking about.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Nazrath on April 12, 2010, 05:37:54 AM
Alucard runs like a slug. Or so i feel.

QFT.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Tavis Belmont on April 14, 2010, 01:29:11 PM
Dracula X Chronicles. Why? Three games in one, fantastic updates all around (music, voicework, etc.), and the best Dracula boss fight ever... if you save all the girls. I love that game. I find myself popping that in from time to time just to beat Drac's behind.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Luke_Belmont on April 15, 2010, 12:03:17 AM
For me, easily Super Castlevania 4. The controls are great, and the music is awesome. After that, I also like Aria of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin as well.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: ReinhardtSchneider on August 25, 2010, 08:59:27 AM
To whomever voted for Harmony of Dissonance: thank you for agreeing with me.  This game is so underappreciated.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Sumac on August 25, 2010, 12:43:35 PM
Voted for Super Castlevania 4.
Best music, awesome level design, awesome gameplay.
Best atmosphere.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Mr.Bushido on August 25, 2010, 04:04:22 PM
Voted for Super Castlevania 4.
Best music, awesome level design, awesome gameplay.
Best atmosphere.

Nothing more to say. ;)
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Dremn on August 25, 2010, 04:44:21 PM
Super Castlevania IV <3

always and forever, ReBirth is a close 2nd
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Sillek on August 26, 2010, 05:30:57 AM
Voted for SoTN.
Results were pretty much what I expected them to be.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: RegalX7 on August 26, 2010, 07:36:59 AM
It was a tough choice between CV3, SCV4, and SotN, but I went with CV3. I acknowledge SCV4 and SotN as the better games, though.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: Gecko on August 26, 2010, 08:17:44 AM
Since there has been a "poll reset", I voted this time for Harmony of Dissonance.

Not so much for normal mode, but hard mode is where that game shines. Great level of challenge. I also love the atmoshpere throughout the game with the graphics and music. Some of those boss fights are really cool, and I love the merging castles thing. The music is consistent and compliments the rest of the game well, although I do wish they had made alternate versions of the same tunes for areas in Castle A and B. In any case, it's earned a place as my favorite Castlevania for now.
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: X on August 26, 2010, 11:26:34 AM
I could never vote for the best game since they all have some qualities that I like about them.

-X
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series (POLL RESET)
Post by: ReinhardtSchneider on August 27, 2010, 10:33:24 AM
You had to have played it when it first came out in '91. It really took advantage of the power of the snes, & it was just a fun game. It contains the very essence of Castlevania. The few veterans here that's been with the series since day 1 know exactly what I'm talking about.

I only started liking Castlevania when OoE came out, I went back and played just about every CV since then, and CV4 is definitely one of the best.  I do prefer the "Castleroids/Metroidvania" style games but I do enjoy CV4 a lot, so you don't need to be a CV vet to appreciate it.  It has some of the best level designs and most fun gameplay in the series and that's why I love it. :(
Title: Re: Best Game in the Series
Post by: Mystic Myotis on August 31, 2010, 06:39:04 AM
... I can't pick.

So I'm going to troll all of you and vote for Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.  ;D