Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => Hardcore Gaming 101 => Topic started by: Jorge D. Fuentes on May 07, 2013, 03:43:13 AM

Title: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Jorge D. Fuentes on May 07, 2013, 03:43:13 AM
Clicky for Articly (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/06/psa-shadow-of-the-eternals-funding-drive-is-live-has-its-own-r/)

I enjoy that video.

Shadow of the Eternals - Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0It-V1O6PeI#ws)
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Inccubus on May 07, 2013, 03:28:16 PM
Awesomeness!! Looks to be nice and creepy. :D
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on May 17, 2013, 03:19:37 AM
It's not making much money so far, but hopefully they can make enough to carry through with development and find more support through investors or publishers and at least get "season one" out there.


Edit:

...But actually, given that Silicon Knights shut down and are/were millions in the hole (I believe) and Denis Dyack never could get a game made in under six years, perhaps it's not the smartest thing to be putting money toward a crowd-funded project of his. It could very well end up being like throwing that $100 to the wind.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Ratty on May 17, 2013, 04:09:44 AM
Edit:

...But actually, given that Silicon Knights shut down and are/were millions in the hole (I believe) and Denis Dyack never could get a game made in under six years, perhaps it's not the smartest thing to be putting money toward a crowd-funded project of his. It could very well end up being like throwing that $100 to the wind.

That's what I'd heard, that they'd taken in millions and had nothing more to show for it. Personally I'm apathetic towards the prospect of the game since I'm in the minority opinion that Eternal Darkness was severly overrated and not at all scary.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on May 17, 2013, 04:17:14 AM
It's not really a matter of Eternal Darkness being scary (be honest: what survival horror game is?), it's more just the atmosphere of the whole thing that makes it such a great game. There's excellent writing, characters, graphics, music, design, and the sanity effects are a ton of fun. If you're judging the game by its scare factor, you're simply looking at it in the completely wrong way.

It's a wonderful game because of how cinematic it is. Some of the horror is a bit more psychological (a tower made of twisted human bodies, for instance) and something acquiring aid by one's own imagination to really feel the disturbing elements of the game.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Ratty on May 17, 2013, 04:55:28 AM
It's not really a matter of Eternal Darkness being scary (be honest: what survival horror game is?), it's more just the atmosphere of the whole thing that makes it such a great game. There's excellent writing, characters, graphics, music, design, and the sanity effects are a ton of fun. If you're judging the game by its scare factor, you're simply looking at it in the completely wrong way.

It's a wonderful game because of how cinematic it is. Some of the horror is a bit more psychological (a tower made of twisted human bodies, for instance) and something acquiring aid by one's own imagination to really feel the disturbing elements of the game.

From what I've played of them I'd say the original Resident Evils from 2 to REmake were genuinely scary. The writing in ED is ok but maybe I was too familiar with Lovecraft to have it come off as unique, it felt transparent to me that the time period gimmick was there so they could reuse environments with slight tweaks. And I never felt any tension because enemies were easy to evade/never really had to worry about ammo/I had unlimited health and sanity whenever I had access to an empty room and the curing spells, which was most of the time.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on May 25, 2013, 08:29:49 PM
I've still never played a game that has quite the same atmosphere that Eternal Darkness has, so it's very easy for me to look past any faults it has. From a gameplay standpoint, no game before or since that I'm aware of has quite the same dynamic camera that aids the person playing it; turn a corner and the angle is completely different but also interactive and ideal for figuring out where to go and how to move. It's a camera system that not only doesn't act as a hindrance, but moves the game along like a movie—so you're aware of it, but in a pleasant way.

And from this little breakdown of the demo for Shadows of the Eternals, the developers are keeping very faithful to what's been established while upgrading the technology and making it more immersive.

Through The CryENGINE3 Looking Glass (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMSu7fDAP3I#ws)

Consider me pumped. It's just a shame this Kickstarter campaign ain't going anywhere so the chances of the game being made are slim at this time. Dyack may be a dick and a horrible boss if the reports are true, but considering he isn't in a business manager position for this game and has higher-ups to answer to and keep him in check, I would hope Dyack's dickery and poor money management isn't getting in the way of them contributing to a potentially super awesome game.

One thing I hope they carry over should the game get made is when you interact with NPCs: in Eternal Darkness, instead of having direct dialog, you would instead be reading a narrated paragraph with no quotations. I found that incredibly fascinating and more fun than getting the word-for-word dialog that took place in the game's world.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Ratty on June 29, 2013, 03:46:44 PM
I don't know what else to say to this but wow. The kickstarter has been delayed this month and now this disturbing development- http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125522-Precursor-Games-Founder-Arrested-For-Child-Porn (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125522-Precursor-Games-Founder-Arrested-For-Child-Porn) :S
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Gunlord on June 29, 2013, 09:14:05 PM
Jeeeeeezus. O_O Talk about a misfortune for this game...x_x;;
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Ratty on June 30, 2013, 02:09:32 PM
Jeeeeeezus. O_O Talk about a misfortune for this game...x_x;;

Yeah no kidding, the game and the company. Well we can hope that the charges are proven to be mistaken.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on July 15, 2013, 06:06:52 PM
I hope these allegations don't affect the restructured campaign, whether true or false. That would be such a shame to have so much negativity floating around the game.

Right now the devs are polling (http://www.precursorgames.com/forums/index.php?threads%2Fwhat-system-you-most-likely-buy-shadow-of-the-eternals-on.2250%2F) which system people wanna play it for. It's Wii U all the way for me, yo—hopefully preceded or followed by a 1080p widescreen Virtual Console release of Eternal Darkness.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on July 25, 2013, 01:24:50 PM
Kickstarter relaunched (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0).

Lower reward tiers, smaller goal, and no more mention of the game being episodic.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Pfil on July 25, 2013, 01:35:32 PM
Wow! A game based on The Blood Countess, with a cute girl, a handsome man, and gothic horror settings!
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on July 26, 2013, 06:34:56 PM
One thing I didn't realize is that this refocused Kickstarter campaign also has a refocused game: it's not just that they turned the 12 episodes into a single download, they've actually restructured the game to be concerned about one or two storylines for a single 8–10-hour experience where you follow the same two characters. I'm perfectly fine with that, they just didn't make that clear on the campaign page.

Also, they haven't said what the amount will be, but they've said that PS4 support is one of their stretch goals. I'll stick to Wii U, though, because I'm very nostalgic for the idea of playing an Eternal Darkness spiritual sequel on a Nintendo console. Maybe it will even goad Nintendo to re-release the game for Virtual Console in 1080p, and perhaps the (hoped) success of SOTE will cause an actual sequel to happen—a full-blown effort pertaining to that IP's universe. A guy like me can only hope, eh?

Wii U's gonna kick my dick in come Q3/4 2014.
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Abnormal Freak on August 16, 2013, 02:46:37 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0 (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617502838/shadow-of-the-eternals-0)

Holy balls is this funding campaign ever tanking. I have a hard time believing they'll reach their goal in a week when they haven't even reached the halfway point yet.

Dudes shoulda been more organized to begin with. One really good, focused campaign might have done it.

If all else fails, maybe with Nintendo registering a digital download copyright for ED, they'll want to invest in an actual sequel by Precursor. HA! I'm a dreamer...
Title: Re: Eternal Darkness (spiritual) Sequel - Shadow of the Eternals
Post by: Lelygax on August 18, 2013, 10:08:15 PM
Sanity Systems (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I2NTmnoFV0#ws)

Someone have seen that?