Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => Hardcore Gaming 101 => Topic started by: Lelygax on July 31, 2013, 04:36:17 PM

Title: Racing stages in shooter games
Post by: Lelygax on July 31, 2013, 04:36:17 PM
Parodius - Forever With Me (Kid Dracula) - Bonus Stage Racing (No Damage) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24P6-506kaM#)

Anyone else thinks its a wonderful idea and should be performed more times?
Title: Re: Racing stages in shooter games
Post by: Zannibal on September 02, 2013, 07:09:37 AM
Never.

RAGE did it, and my god is it annoying. IF I BUY A FPS GAME, I'M NOT WANTING TO PLAY A FUCKING MARIO KART ;_; Crossing genres is sometimes good choice, but that was major failure. Good graphics, good feeling in shooting and all.. ruined by driving.

As for your video... eh.. No? I wouldn't play that for five seconds  ;D
Title: Re: Racing stages in shooter games
Post by: Darth Cariss on September 02, 2013, 06:04:57 PM
I like it as long as it's well done. It's common to see a "drive a car" or "shoot from a mounted gun while on a vehicle" section in FPS games, and they are typically a nice change of pace if done well. Call of Duty games tend to splice in some decent vehicle moments during their campaigns, like the bit where you're an AC-130 gunner and such. On the flip side, some games have really terrible vehicle sections, like Duke Nukem Forever's moments where you drive a truck.
Title: Re: Racing stages in shooter games
Post by: Bloodreign on September 02, 2013, 07:05:42 PM
Parodius could make it work, the game is wacky, and the racing bit can be pretty hilarious too (I know because I have these games around and have enjoyed every drop of playability they give), but something like Gradius, or Thunder Force, no. It would just seem out of place in a more serious shooter, but could also work for a cute em up like Twinbee. Racing should never be considered for the most dire of shoot em ups, but hey the light hearted good clean fun ones, perhaps.

As for FPS's, those I don't consider shoot em ups, and I give give two shits less about whatsin/not in with them. Half Life 2 was the last one I cared about, and it didn't have racing, but you could ride around in a buggy (inputting a code to have a buggy appear anywhere, or just about anywhere is hella entertaining, but not racing).