Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => Hardcore Gaming 101 => Topic started by: KaZudra on November 18, 2013, 12:48:14 PM

Title: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: KaZudra on November 18, 2013, 12:48:14 PM
This topic is for the best Anime based games that are so good that you have to play them even IF you don't care for the anime.

I'll list a couple and why I think they are worthy of "Best of"

Naruto SHIPPUDEN Ultimate Ninja Storm (Series)
This is as fun to play as to watch, on top of that it shows just how much effort they put into the Naruto series as of late, before you know you'll find yourself watching Shippuden.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventure (Arcade)
Self Explanatory; when you see Dio Drop a Steam roller on you you know shit has gotten real.

Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Ratty on November 18, 2013, 02:16:59 PM
I've had a sick fascination with licensed games for years, but most of the anime based ones I've played have been "ok", not great, not memorably terrible. The two best that spring to mind are Ghost in the Shell and Gundam Battle Assault 2, both on the PS1.

With a wide selection of unlockable mechs from across many different series, Battle Assault 2 should be an unbalanced treat for anyone who digs Gundam, or just 2D fighters and robots. The visuals are late-playstation great and the mechs have a realistic feeling of bulky weight to them. Though just for a tip if you're playing with a friend- when I say it's unbalanced I mean it. Wing Gundam is so broken in this game it's not even funny. Oh and of course, so is Big Zam (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3MKQCXsUQ#ws).

Ghost in the Shell however is one of the best action games on the PS1, period. Tight controls that make strafing, and spider-like go anywhere wall/ceiling climbing, really work on a controller. Beautifully done 32bit 3D graphics and one of the best soundtracks on the system. The only problem with it is that it's rather short. Though extra unlockable anime cutscenes created for the game (and found mainly at chapter starts and endings in the campaign) you can get in the training mode might offer some extended playtime for patient types. I just used a code to unlock them after beating the campaign. 

Both games have the original voice actors from the English dubs, though GitS is based more on the manga than anything else. Considering that the Fuchikomas barely appear in the famous 1995 movie. And GitS:Stand Alone Complex, which has a game on the PS2 I've got but not played yet, was years away and used Tachikoma's instead.

PS- I forgot to mention GitS on the PS1 has widescreen support, the only other console game from that generation I can think of at the moment which does this is Goldeneye. Even in the PS2 era that was relatively rare.

PPS- Battle Assault 1 and 3 are both "meh". Unless you're really into Gundam Seed. Then 3 might be worth picking up.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: darkmanx_429 on November 18, 2013, 03:50:33 PM
I played the hell of Dragonball Boudokai 3.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Bloodreign on November 18, 2013, 04:40:19 PM
Ghostsweeper Mikami SFC
Magical Taruuto-kun Mega Drive
Twinbee games (there's an a short series based on the games, and some drama CD's)

Some fighting games have had anime movies as well, Fatal Fury, Street Fighter/Alpha, Toshinden, some I've liked, some I haven't.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: X on November 18, 2013, 05:43:32 PM
Quote
Considering that the Fuchikomas barely appear in the famous 1995 movie

The movie didn't have Fuchikomas. That was strictly in the Manga. Instead the movie had Tachikomas. both are of the same principle; an arachnid-like mechanoid, but the two had some subtle differences.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Ratty on November 18, 2013, 05:57:13 PM
Ghostsweeper Mikami SFC
Magical Taruuto-kun Mega Drive
Twinbee games (there's an a short series based on the games, and some drama CD's)

Some fighting games have had anime movies as well, Fatal Fury, Street Fighter/Alpha, Toshinden, some I've liked, some I haven't.

Don't forget Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge! That one had some beautiful animation. Wish it was easier to get ahold of a good copy these days.

The movie didn't have Fuchikomas. That was strictly in the Manga. Instead the movie had Tachikomas. both are of the same principle; an arachnid-like mechanoid, but the two had some subtle differences.

Actually we're both wrong, the mech that appeared in the 95 movie was neither http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Think_tank (http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Think_tank) Tachikomas weren't introduced until GiTS:SAC. Why they replaced the Fuchikomas when they act essentially the same, I don't know. I suppose to further cement the SAC universe as an alternate timeline to the original manga and movies. That or sell more toys/model kits.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: X on November 19, 2013, 10:00:17 AM
Quote
Actually we're both wrong, the mech that appeared in the 95 movie was neither http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Think_tank (http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Think_tank) Tachikomas weren't introduced until GiTS:SAC. Why they replaced the Fuchikomas when they act essentially the same, I don't know. I suppose to further cement the SAC universe as an alternate timeline to the original manga and movies. That or sell more toys/model kits.

That's rather interesting. Then again it isn't unexpected since it's been a coon's age since I last saw the movie.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Lashen on November 19, 2013, 11:00:45 AM
The four Yu Yu Hakusho titles for the Super Famicom were actually very entertaining.

Everything North America received much later was garbage, however.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Bloodreign on November 19, 2013, 03:25:31 PM
Much like Mega Man, Darkstalkers better animation is in Japan, both received garbage US cartoons (like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat did).
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: KaZudra on November 19, 2013, 09:52:40 PM
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2
Great Game with TONS to do, 500 missions per character and roughly 50+ Characters
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Profbeanburrito on November 21, 2013, 01:41:28 PM
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079: Rise from the Ashes for DreamCast. Love that game
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: X on November 21, 2013, 05:28:26 PM
I should probably throw in Mega Man X series as a good anime game contender since there is some anime about it now, if I'm not mistaken.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: VladCT on November 21, 2013, 08:08:41 PM
The closest thing Mega Man X ever had to an anime production is the Day of Sigma OVA, which I believe was included in Maverick Hunter X.
If anything though, MMX4 was pretty much MMX: The Anime: The Game. At least, it felt like such to me.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Grethor on November 22, 2013, 07:40:35 AM
Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Saisen

and

Rurouni Kenshin Meiji Kenkaku Romantan Kansei

are a pair of fine fighting games for the PSP- only available in Japan but highly importable.

I've always loved Dragonball Z: Hyper Dimension for the SNES, some of the best 2D artwork I've seen.

There's also an Attack on Titan game coming out for the 3DS soon which I am looking forward to.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: St.Tweeter on December 06, 2013, 11:11:29 PM
Ghostsweeper Mikami SFC


Wait are you serious? That game is horrible! x_x


Gundam Musou 2 and Hokuto Musou 1 are both pretty good though.  Gundam Musou 3 is too samey, and "Shin Hokuto Musou"/Ken's Rage 2 is awful. I could write a thesis on how bad that sequel was.
Title: Re: The Best Of: Anime Games
Post by: Ratty on December 08, 2013, 12:24:41 PM
There's also the Dragon Quest manga/animes by. Never read/seen them, though I got about halfway through Dragon Quest 1.