Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => Hardcore Gaming 101 => Topic started by: Belmont legacy on February 17, 2014, 02:38:42 PM

Title: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Belmont legacy on February 17, 2014, 02:38:42 PM
I was digging through a stack of some my old gameboy/gameboy color collection and stumbled on a TRUE great game from back in the day. It was the famous, and second to none Donkey Kong remake. Spanning it at 100 levels and progressively difficult puzzle like levels, this game was just plain GREAT. I was really pleased when I found my copy of Link's awakening DX too. Playing games from a time where Nintendo was king just felt great. Back in a time where on the go gaming was a necessity for any gamer. I actually didn't get a gameboy until after the gbc was released. I had to stick with keeping myself occupied playing the little handheld tiger games. So what are some of your favorite classic gameboy/gameboy color games?
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: crisis on February 17, 2014, 02:52:55 PM
theres Belmont's Revenge, for obvious reasons
a game called Boxxle, a puzzler where the main chara attempted to woo his crush by moving boxes in a specific order (sounds bizarre lol but was very fun back in the day, youtube it)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Footclan

Kirby's Pinball Land

The Simpsons: Escape from Camp Deadly

Kid Icarus: Of Myths & Monsters

Mega Man II

Super Mario Land (all of them)

Zelda: Link's Awakening

Pokemon Red & Blue (before the franchise went mainstream)

Alien vs. Predator

Gargoyle's Quest

Kirby's Dream Land

Metroid II: Return of Samus

Robocop

just to name a few

i am so happy i have a Game Boy Light (only released in Japan), so nowadays i can enjoy all these classics in any environment
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Belmont legacy on February 17, 2014, 04:48:22 PM
Kirby's dreamland was a great starter game. Belmonts revenge read great with some of my favorite (unknown) castlevania music. Mario land series was great. 2 was my favorite. Wario land 2 was AMAZING. I love fall of the foot clan. Feels like an mini arcade version of tmnt 2. Never got to play avp.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: DarkLavos on February 17, 2014, 04:49:14 PM
There's also Azure Dreams, one of my favorite gameboy color game along with Wario Land 3.
Pocket Bomberman
Bomberman Quest
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Shantae
Zelda Oracle of Season/Age
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Bloodreign on February 18, 2014, 03:06:35 AM
Bubble Bobble
Bubble Bobble Part 2
all 5 Mega Man titles for the original GB (the last 2 are major expensive now)
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel GBC
Super Mario Land 2
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Tetris
Cleopatra Fortune
Quarth
R-Type DX (contains both original GB R-Type games)
Nemesis (aka Gradius)
Gradius: Interstellar Assault
Pop N Twinbee (import)
Parodius Da! (import)
Super Chinese Land (import, almost like Kung Fu Heroes on NES, same formula)
Batman

There's some to get you started. Most of these are in my collection, so I drew some names from there. Tried not to name some others have already mentioned.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: JohnMorris on February 18, 2014, 04:45:47 AM
No one mentioning Contra?  ???

The Ducktales port is also decent, though I prefer the NES version. My own small collection also includes Solar Striker, which I would consider a classic in its own, simplistic way.

My absolute favorite for the original GB (together with Link's Awakening) is Seiken Densetsu (Final Fantasy Adventure in the US, Mystic Quest in Europe). Some of the best music they ever got out of the system. From what I understand the translation is pretty horrible, I saw a scene on Youtube where they completely butcher a heartwrenching scene from the original with horribad censorship (you are supposed to kill a medusa to gather her blood originally and they change it so that you are supposed to slap her to get her tears in the translation).
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Drakon on February 18, 2014, 01:54:19 PM
My all time favourite is link's awakening.  There's also mario land, and belmont's revenge.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: X on February 18, 2014, 07:42:25 PM
Quote
No one mentioning Contra?  ???

Contra's a good one. Some people out there have claimed it is a watered down port of the NES game, but the official Contra canon states it's a sequel to 'Super Contra' and taking place before 'Contra III'.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Shiroi Koumori on February 19, 2014, 12:59:17 AM
In addition to some of the ones listed above, I also loved Solomon's Club, Harvest Moon, Sokoban, and Dr. Mario.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Ratty on February 19, 2014, 12:01:56 PM
No love for Castlevania Legends?

Well, one of the best Gameboy games I've ever played that hasn't yet been mentioned is Final Fantasy Adventure  (aka Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden aka Mystic Quest) the first game in the "Mana" series best known in the states for the second game Secret of Mana. FFA was remade and significantly rewritten/expanded on the GBA as Sword of Mana, which had graphics more reminiscent of The Legend of Mana on the PS1. But the original still holds up really really well, I played through it for the first time just a year or two ago.

Gameplay from the original
(Gameboy) Final fantasy adventure gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcFlmoOtTvg#)

Trailer for the remake
Sword of Mana trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnE3e13z1LA#)
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: JohnMorris on February 20, 2014, 01:52:55 AM
Well, one of the best Gameboy games I've ever played that hasn't yet been mentioned is Final Fantasy Adventure  (aka Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden aka Mystic Quest)
ADD?  :P
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Bloodreign on February 20, 2014, 02:46:04 AM
Pulling from my collection list here:
Ninja Gaiden Shadow (not in my collection, but worth adding, warning, prices on it are not good)
Flipull
Darkwing Duck
Dig Dug
Qix
Bomberman 1 (aka Bomberman 2 in Japan)
Wario Blast featuring Bomberman
Super RC Pro AM
The Little Mermaid (yes I do recommend it)
Adventure Island (port of NES AI 2)
Adventure Island 2 (port of NES AI 3)
Faceball 2000
Revenge of the Gator
Track and Field
Lock N Chase
the Contra that is good on GB is Operation C, not the GB port of Contra III
 Batman the Animated Series

that's more for ya.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Ratty on February 20, 2014, 04:31:29 AM
ADD?  :P

Nah just extremely sleepy when I posted. Was getting ready for bed so I just did a quick ctrl+f, must have misspelled heh.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: notkev on February 20, 2014, 02:10:47 PM
Heiankyo Alien was my most played game as a kid.

 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY3qVBkIu74#)

Toward the end of having my GameBoy this was probably my most favorite.

 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITrD1-m53K0#)
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Morning star on February 23, 2014, 08:06:13 PM
Most of my favs have been mentioned already. But hey, did anybody give Tetris a nod here? Just sayn.. It was one of the very best games on a gameboy and the reason a lot of people bought one to start with. That's why it was a pack in.

Belmonts revenge was and still is just awesome! Some of the best music the franchise has to offer right there. I still play it a lot on super gameboy for snes.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: X on February 24, 2014, 09:30:04 AM
Quote
the Contra that is good on GB is Operation C, not the GB port of Contra III

That's what it was called. Can't believe I forgot about it  :P  Yeah the port of contra III (and I've tried it) was terrible and somewhat painful to play.
Title: Re: Best Classics for gameboy
Post by: Belmont legacy on February 26, 2014, 12:19:25 AM
One of my absolute favorite game boy games wasn't mentioned here and in a sense I'm not too surprised. It's Turok battle of the bionosaurs. This game was basically a more simple linear, and less gory version of turok dinosaur hunter for kids I'm guessing but DAMN is it good. It makes me a little sad it's not more well known. Such a classic!