Castlevania Dungeon Forums

The Castlevania Dungeon Forums => Hardcore Gaming 101 => Topic started by: notkev on February 20, 2014, 02:31:58 PM

Title: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: notkev on February 20, 2014, 02:31:58 PM
So, I've been working on a game the past months or so. I registered here cause I was a couple years ago and talked in #cv for a little while. I recently decided to get back into gamedev and am working on an a little action game inspired game-wise by Castlevania, Zillion, Metroid, and stuff like that. The story and levels will eventually be inspired by Blade Runner, Cowboy Bebop, and things of that nature. I know this community has some great artists and was wondering if anyone would like to do art? Mine is pretty basic and just redrawn sprites from other games at the moment. I also wanted to kinda showcase the work here as well since it's going to be "Metroidvania" as they say similar to SotN. Here's some screenshots and also a link to some more (https://nothackers.com/engine.o/) if you're interested. They're all just me messing around in my debug level. Any criticism or feedback is super welcome as it's just me working on it for fun right now.

(https://nothackers.com/engine.o/0.png)

Shooting the blaster.

(https://nothackers.com/engine.o/4.png)

Checking out the inventory.

(https://nothackers.com/engine.o/6.png)

Damage counters upon damage and damage dealt.
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: Ratty on February 21, 2014, 03:45:28 PM
Neat, good luck with it. :)
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: Morning star on February 23, 2014, 08:12:20 PM
For some reason the first games i thought about are resident evil, doom and who framed roger rabbit :D
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: X on February 24, 2014, 09:26:46 AM
Quote
The story and levels will eventually be inspired by Blade Runner, Cowboy Bebop, and things of that nature.

Since you mentioned it I can actually see the Blade Runner aspect. And not just because you have the main character wearing a brown trench coat...well, yes because of that ;D
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: notkev on February 25, 2014, 04:16:54 PM
Been working on the first level a little bit.

(http://i.imgur.com/7q130wg.png)
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: notkev on February 27, 2014, 10:33:18 AM
A lil more art.

(http://i.imgur.com/hfJMFsr.png)
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: X on February 27, 2014, 05:40:34 PM
Quote
A lil more art.

Put in as much as you think might spruce it up good. I'd also recommend some wall consoles, power boxes and some electric cable and water pipes as well. You should also have some parts of your map to show what's beyond the walls of the stage as well. Just to help with the environment factor a bit.
Title: Re: SotN+others inspired cyberpunk game
Post by: notkev on March 02, 2014, 10:25:11 PM
I added some more levels and background items. Today I was sent a snippet of some music (http://www.conyeezysucks.com/olaf.wav) for the game and joined Twitter (https://twitter.com/kevputer) finally. :P