Castlevania Dungeon Forums

Off Topic => Off Topic => Topic started by: Highwind Dragoon on February 01, 2017, 12:26:55 PM

Title: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Highwind Dragoon on February 01, 2017, 12:26:55 PM
https://www.cnet.com/news/as-if-blade-runner-wasnt-enough-denis-villeneuve-is-rebooting-dune/ (https://www.cnet.com/news/as-if-blade-runner-wasnt-enough-denis-villeneuve-is-rebooting-dune/)

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Dracula9 on February 01, 2017, 12:55:18 PM
IF IT'S NOT ON JODOROWSKY'S LEVEL I WILL BE MILDLY UPSET

BUT ONLY MILDLY FUCK YEAAAAAAAAAAAH
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Highwind Dragoon on February 01, 2017, 01:33:29 PM
LET THE SPICE MELANGE FLOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxHKo35J010 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxHKo35J010)
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Mooning Freddy on February 01, 2017, 03:43:42 PM
I find it amusing that they're using the term "reboot", as the film adaptions of Dune were never really a series.

There was the awful Lynch film which was basically a 90 minutes space opera that failed to capture the deep theological, cultural and philosophical concepts of Dune and the complex storyline (sorry people who like his movie, but he basically turned Dune into Star Wars. Dune is a much, much more complex saga than Star Wars).

Then There's the 2000's "Dune" and "Children of Dune", which was much superior IMHO, since they turned it into a miniseries, they managed to convey much better the drama and complexity of the Dune universe. But Again, those were based on only two (and a half) novels of the entire series. So you can't call it a reboot.

Anyway, good luck with that. It hope it would be loyal to the novels (though I doubt people would really appreciate it, considering how the novels parody Islamic fanaticism and the cyclical nature of human society that never seems to evolve).
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: uzo on February 01, 2017, 06:45:56 PM
Because DUNE hasn't been skull-fucked enough in the last decade.
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Dracula9 on February 01, 2017, 06:54:14 PM
Because DUNE hasn't been skull-fucked enough in the last decade.

thingsthatjodorowskycould'vesolvedifhe'dpulleditoff.avi
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: GuyStarwind on February 01, 2017, 09:17:25 PM
I'm going to be probably in the minority here but I liked the 84 Dune but then again I haven't finished the first book (I started it a few weeks ago). Yeah, I know it has problems but I think it has an interesting feel to it. From my understanding, it was supposed to be longer but they had problems in the studio. Anywho, I like their take on the future and the weird things in it. I tried watching the Dune made in like 2000 but I just wasn't into it as much. I'm not saying it wasn't good but the atmosphere didn't capture me (once again I'm watching it as a movie and not so much a comparison to the book). I'd be down for a remake, though. My alarm is Paul yelling the sleeper has awakened haha.
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Highwind Dragoon on February 01, 2017, 10:40:40 PM
I bought the first 3 books last fall, Only got a few pages in, though.  :-\
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Mooning Freddy on February 01, 2017, 11:49:14 PM
thingsthatjodorowskycould'vesolvedifhe'dpulleditoff.avi

lol, you people are aware that Jodorovsky's Dune wasn't supposed to be an adaptation at all? I believe that he said that he actually hasn't read Dune, and took very big liberties adapting the plot to his world view.
That doesn't mean his film couldn't have been a cinematic masterpiece, both visually and in terms of acting, but it wouldn't really have been Dune, more a story inspired by Dune.
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Dracula9 on February 02, 2017, 12:01:40 AM
lol, you are aware that Jodorowsky's Dune isn't regarded as the perfect adaptation and is revered for the spectacle it could have been rather than for any potential accuracy?
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Mooning Freddy on February 02, 2017, 12:06:36 AM
Quote
My alarm is Paul yelling the sleeper has awakened


One of the deepest concepts in the story, haha. Still not entirely sure what the meaning behind it is; I assume it is a reference to one revealing the reality behind the world's stage, getting to see who's pulling the strings.
Paul is a tragic character. I remember that I was kinda frustrated when I realized this was Herbert's intention all along. Dune can easily be seen as a classic epic of good prevailing against evil; it's much more complex than that, as later revealed in Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
Paul is savior to some, the devil to others. And this unclearness in the difference between good and evil is taken even further in God Emperor of Dune, where the main protagonist is also the main antagonist, depends on how you interpret the story. Ah, Herbert was a genius.  :
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Ratty on February 02, 2017, 05:43:06 AM
DUNE is one of my favorite books but I have to laugh at them having another go at an adaptation. Firstly just because of the subject matter- Religious zealots who live in the desert battle with a foreign empire over precious resources. Hmmm I wonder if THAT would be controversial today?

The other thing is that much of the story is just unfilmable, half the original books are internal monologues, characters just thinking to themselves, examining the situation. You can't really film that, even if you had a constant running inner monologue narration you couldn't hope to fit the philosophy and the nuance into a 3 hour movie. The more complex concepts of the mythology would have to be delivered with bald exposition. So I think I'll probably have more fun watching the inevitable controversy surrounding this film than the movie itself.

I'm going to be probably in the minority here but I liked the 84 Dune but then again I haven't finished the first book (I started it a few weeks ago). Yeah, I know it has problems but I think it has an interesting feel to it. From my understanding, it was supposed to be longer but they had problems in the studio. Anywho, I like their take on the future and the weird things in it. I tried watching the Dune made in like 2000 but I just wasn't into it as much. I'm not saying it wasn't good but the atmosphere didn't capture me (once again I'm watching it as a movie and not so much a comparison to the book). I'd be down for a remake, though. My alarm is Paul yelling the sleeper has awakened haha.

The 84 film is interesting, deeply flawed but it has some appealing things about it. Mostly great art design, except for the Bene Gesserit and the Fremen-without-headcoverings. A good soundtrack, some excellent performances. The greatest disservice of that film is to Baron Harkonnen, who had almost all of the cunning and depth cut out of his character. Going from a cold blooded Machiavellian strategist to a Saturday morning cartoon villain. Oh and that ending
(click to show/hide)

I bought the first 3 books last fall, Only got a few pages in, though.  :-\

Read'em! Or at least the first one. Many people love the first book and don't care for the sequels. But the first is an undisputed classic.
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Mooning Freddy on February 02, 2017, 12:51:02 PM
Paul's terraforming is quite a major element in the story. It's also what makes it ironic.

(click to show/hide)
Title: Re: DUNE REBOOT
Post by: Highwind Dragoon on February 17, 2017, 10:08:44 PM
I bought God emperor of dune last Saturday.  Are any of the prequel books by his son any good?  ???

Because DUNE hasn't been skull-fucked enough in the last decade.

Are you referring to the prequel novels by Brian Herbert?