Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Curse of Darkness Manga  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
Curse of Darkness Manga
« on: November 01, 2008, 03:39:30 PM »
I've just been to travelling man today and along with book 1&2 of Ral Omega Grad I picked up book 1 of Curse of Darkness ( just released here in the UK )

I was just wondering if anyone had read any of it and what your opinions are, as i've not had chance to read any yet.

1st opinion however is the art style isn't quite as polished as i'd like. It does look like a cross between PoRs art ( cheap and unfinished ) and Ayami's deep gothic look. Looks like the artist cut a few corners/Is not quite as experienced as some others.

also not played either of the PS2 games so will continuity be an issue? ( youtubed the cutscenes for LoI and there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of backstory anyway )

discuss??
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

GOmar

Re: Curse of Darkness Manga
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »
I had no idea this existed, I'll have to search the net to see if I can find this now.

Offline Mr Sven

• Did Blow up Megaton City - Dirty Ghouls!
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »
In Reply To #2

http://www.zanpakuto.com/news?id=24

Looks like there are only two books.
Perhaps they are going to write more or is that the end of the series already?

I've not looked at it yet so perhaps it will not deserve a 3rd anyway. I heard the  comic released a year or two ago wasn't very good.
Legio XIII

<-------- It's mee!

Offline CapComMDb

• Hunter in Training
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »
Well, I seem to remember reading about this elsewhere on the Dungeon, but the manga is pretty generic. It's not completely awful, but it's nothing to win any awards, either (personally, I think the Amazon review is a bit too harsh). Like I said, it helped pass time in the airport and while waiting for OoE to arrive and was entertaining. I keep hearing it was made just to help sell copies of CoD in Japan. I'll probably get vol. 2, but can't say it's highly recommended, as there's other things you can spend your $20 on. Tokyopop has some sample pages on their website, and I'm sure you can flip through it at Barnes and Noble. Each volume is $10, and the second one comes out in December.

The Castlevania comic (based on Castlevania Adventure) is pretty much the same. It's got a couple neat things with art in the first volume, but overall, I would have preferred to spend my money on something else. You can buy a collected TPB for something like $20 on Amazon, but I don't really think it's worth it. There's a few pages from it somewhere on the Dungeon that I sent out... Can't say I regret buying it THAT much, as it's another thing to collect.

I really can't say which I like more...the manga or the comic, but I'll probably go with the manga, though the comic has its moments, if that means anything.
"The sleep of Reason produces monsters."

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »
I have volume 1.  Volume 2 has not been released in the US yet.

The manga is suppose to fill in some of the vagueness of the game: Curse of Darkness.  It doesn't seem to, at least volume 1 doesn't.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Bizarro Belmont

• WHAT?
  • Vampire Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 09:06:08 AM »
I seen this at a bookstore yesterday, along with the Starcraft manga (Surely it can't be as bad as the Warcraft mangas.) and the Ocarina of Time manga.

I glanced at this for roughly five minutes and didn't really care. As far as books though, the new Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (What's the deal with it not coming out) and that Bret Hart autobiography are at the top of my book list.

Tags:

anything