Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Castlevania movie: How would you do it?  (Read 6503 times)

Offline ReeBob

• Awards
Castlevania movie: How would you do it?
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
Let's say that the upcoming Castlevania movie was going to be a big summer blockbuster, with an enormous budget, and you were put in charge.  How would you do it?

A. Which game would you base it off of, if any? 

B. Who would you hire to direct?

C. Who would be your "dream cast?"

D. What references/in-jokes would you include (medusa heads, for example)?

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
Re: Castlevania movie: How would you do it?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:49:07 PM »

A. CV1, SCVIV, CVIII, possibly some Rondo/Symphony influence.

B. Del Toro, Kenneth Branagh, Sam Raimi, Terry Gilliam

C. Daniel Day Lewis/ Ralph Finnes/ Malcom Mcdowell  as Dracula, Cillian Murphy as Alucard, Christian Bale as Simon Belmont, Clemence Posey as Sypha, Andy Serkis as Grant DaNasty, Colin Ferrel as Trevor Belmont

D. Medusa head knocking him off a ledge, wall meat, Death, castle crumbles,

Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »
I'm really not into the idea of a CV movie at all, but if I had to, I'd go with the Aria of Sorrow OR Dawn of Sorrow storyline. Also, I'd use the BAD ending. It would be a nice plot twist with Soma turning into Dracula, and Julius killing him off in the end. It could work in a full motion picture. The soul stealing could also be included somehow, but not too much. Only a select few of the key souls would matter.

Flying Medusa Heads is a given in the clock tower scene, also: WALL MEAT. And I would want to capture as many of the classic Castlevania environments as possible. They don't necessarily have to be from the Sorrow games though.

I would go for a slightly darker atmosphere than the game has, but I would want to keep many of the quirky stuff to prevent the film from becoming TOO serious. Tim Burton could direct it, but I'd probably ask him to try and keep the quirkyness on a tolerable level. I think he did quite well with Sleepy Hollow, it was dark yet fairytale-ish without being silly.

I dunno who I'd cast as Soma though... the hair is a problem. It would look stupid IRL on just about anyone.

EDIT: Oh dear, I completely forgot about Guillermo del Toro. He'd be PERFECT for a Castlevania adaption.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:57:15 PM by shelverton. »

Offline darkwzrd4

• All Powerful Spellcaster
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
Let's say that the upcoming Castlevania movie was going to be a big summer blockbuster, with an enormous budget, and you were put in charge.  How would you do it?

A. Which game would you base it off of, if any? 

First of all, I would NOT do a live action movie.  Instead I would do a CG movie.
A. LoI, CV3, CoD, HoD, RoB, SotN, OoE, AoS, or I would make it my vision of what the "1999 Battle" should be.

B. I don't know.  Anyone who is good and knows the series well (most likely a CV fan).

C. Being that it would be a CG movie, I would only need voice actors.  I would probably use the voice actors who did the games.

D. a church/chapel in the demonic castle, Death as the "second-in-command", weapons/equipment just sitting in random rooms, some sort of merchant, etc.
Behold my power and tremble

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
If I made a CV movie, I'd make sure it has a bunch of tits and dongs (a la SOTN). Beyond that, I don't know what I'd put in it.
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
A. Aftermath of Harmony of Dissonance, where Maxim lingers in jealousy over Juste's superiority in room design.

B. Peter Jackson, to make the shots of Juste's room decorations stunning and lively.

C. Clint Eastwood as an aging Simon Belmont. Not sure about anyone else.

D. Eh.

Offline DingusBelmondo

• Mysterious Stranger
  • Vampire Hunter
  • "Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!"
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 05:03:32 PM »
A. Aftermath of Harmony of Dissonance, where Maxim lingers in jealousy over Juste's superiority in room design.

B. Peter Jackson, to make the shots of Juste's room decorations stunning and lively.

C. Clint Eastwood as an aging Simon Belmont. Not sure about anyone else.

D. Eh.

hahahahha. Oh man, couldn't have said it better myself.
Go. Set Forth! Both your own life and hers are at stake.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 11:16:48 PM »
I'd Start with Castlevania bloodlines since it's THE sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula. I would also have some of the BS's Dracula cast come back to reprise their roles and assist the main characters. They would only be small roles to act out since the focus of the story is on the two youths; Jon Morris and Eric Lecarde. For a more in depth view of the story, there would also be some brief flashback scenes that would depict the ancestors of the Belmont clan fighting off Dracula's forces in the past. I would also do a plausible explanation of the two heroes, especially of Jon Morris since the bloodlines instruction book story is somewhat improbable. I'd better explane it while it's still fresh in my mind...

-Dracula has his Gypsy warriors kidnap both Jon and Eric rather then the two children following Quincy to Dracula's castle. After Mina and Dracula enter the castle chapel, Van Hellsing will speak his lines; We've all become god's madmen...all of us. Then instead of going into the chapel as it was shown on the Dracula movie we would instead see the plight of the two children at the hands of a vengeful Gypsy whom will be killed and the two youths rescued by the heroes.

There! Done! See that Konami? Way more believable then your version of events.  ;D

-X       
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Deathpumpkin

• Super castlevania 4 is awesome
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
In the events of castlevania

tim burton, i mean he could direct batman why not castlevania

christian bale as simon belmont and patrick stewart as dracula

I agree with darkwzrd4 it should be a cg movie but make the charicters really reallistic beacause we dont want a movie not appealing to the eye

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:34 PM »
A) CV1

B) Any willing director that actually has real respect for the source material. Kinda like what Ed Norton did for the *real* Hulk movie, as opposed to that dog vomit we got back in '03.

C) For gods' sakes, let the Wizard magazine guys do the casting!!

D) I'd do the graffiti joke. It's pretty 'in' with the hardcore fans. I think we'd appreciate it.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Sindra

• Lore Spelunker
  • RetroDungeonite
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards 2015-05- Digital Art Contest 1st Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • SindraVania Projects
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »
Seriously? Christian Bale as Simon??

Christ, now whenever I play any of his games I'll have the Batman growl stuck in my head as narration.

Thanks asshats!

Offline Lumas

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 01:59:08 AM »
A. Which game would you base it off of, if any?   Dracula's Curse because it has one of the largest cast next to SotN and thus would prove to be a precussor to a SotN movie giving fans of old and new a movie.

Christopher Noland not because of the batman films but because he is a good director.

Trevor-Sam Worthington (due to the fact he is a rising star)
Alucard-Cillian Murphy (the guy made a convincing girl in breakfast on pluto)
Sypha-Melissa George (I'd hit that)
Grant- David Wenham (he makes for good comic relief and is a good actor)
Dracula-Gary Oldman (for old times sake)
Death-John Malkovich (voice only or appear as Zead)
Merchant-Huge Laurie (because he kicks ass)

Anything and everything I could especially Dracula's little speech from SotN.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:07:04 AM by Lumas »

Offline Belmont-confidant

• Servant to the Holy Blood
  • Hunter in Training
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »
Games Covered: Movie 1: LoI/CVIII Movie 2: SCIV/CVII Movie 3: RoB/SotN Movie 4: CV:Bloodlines

Director: Del Toro, Len Wisemen, Chris Nolan, Zack Snyder

Cast: Trevor - Sam Worthington, Sypha - Rachel McAdams, Alucard - Jude Law, Dracula - Ralph Fiennes or Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Simon Belmont - Gerard Butler (I though Simon would be more badass with a Scottish brogue), Richter (Belmont) - Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jon Morris - Matt Dillon, Eric Lecarde - Orlando Bloom

Set Piece events: Belmont climbing up the stairs with brooding soundtrack, Simon struggling to fight the endless hordes in the night (What a horrible night to have a curse!), Clock Tower with Medusa heads, Belmont uses the VK to take Death's head off.

Offline e105beta

• Shafted
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2015-03-Sprite Contest 3rd Place The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (N3DS)
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »
A. Which game would you base it off of, if any?   Dracula's Curse because it has one of the largest cast next to SotN and thus would prove to be a precussor to a SotN movie giving fans of old and new a movie.

Christopher Noland not because of the batman films but because he is a good director.

Trevor-Sam Worthington (due to the fact he is a rising star)
Alucard-Cillian Murphy (the guy made a convincing girl in breakfast on pluto)
Sypha-Melissa George (I'd hit that)
Grant- David Wenham (he makes for good comic relief and is a good actor)
Dracula-Gary Oldman (for old times sake)
Death-John Malkovich (voice only or appear as Zead)
Merchant-Huge Laurie (because he kicks ass)

Anything and everything I could especially Dracula's little speech from SotN.

You said Gary Oldman, but my mind thought Gary Coleman, and I was like "WHAT?"

Offline ReeBob

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »
I'm sorry that I started this and took so long to reply to it myself.  But here goes.

A. Which game would you base it off of, if any?  CV2.  I think the idea of collecting Dracula's scattered remains to resurrect him has great cinematic potential. It could open with a flashback scene, a la SoTN, and then it could go into the main plotline about the curse and the quest to retrieve the body parts.

B. Who would you hire to direct?  Del Toro, definitely.  After what he did with Hellboy and Hellboy 2, I'm convinced he could do justice to the look and feel of the film.

C. Who would be your "dream cast?"  Simon would need to be played by someone kind of "rough," like Nathan Fillion or Viggo Mortensen. Death could be played by Alan Rickman. The Ferryman could be played by someone a little quirky, like Hugh Laurie.  Dracula would be a problem. It would need to be someone who can project power and menace, since the CV Draculas never really had too much in the way of charm.  It might be better to do a CG/animatronic Dracula, and have him voiced by Christopher Lee.  That would also allow for the freakishly tall Dracula seen in the games.   

D. What references/in-jokes would you include (medusa heads, for example)?  I'd include the Crystal Knight played by Gary Oldman, as a nod to both the game and the Coppola film.  I'd also like to do the "giant" Dracula and a reference about how Simon can't swim (how many times did we all die from falling into the water?)

Tags: