Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Lords of Shadows versus God of War- Which one is more epic?  (Read 4697 times)

Offline beingthehero

• Duke of New York
  • Master Hunter
  • EROTIC VIOLENCE
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (NDS)
Lords of Shadows versus God of War- Which one is more epic?
« on: September 25, 2011, 11:37:47 AM »
By epic, I mean epic in terms of music and monsters. While I think Lords has the more epic monsters, I think God of War has the more epic music. What do you all think?

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
Re: Lords of Shadows versus God of War- Which one is more epic?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 12:10:03 PM »
Well God of War has the Greek Gods so they are epic by default. The music for those games was appropriate, nothing really screamed out-of-place to me. Lords of Shadows has Belmont's Theme, which I think is a pretty epic piece (the others not so much).

The titans in GoW have personality & a purpose, which makes them epic. The titans in LoS are silent & lifeless, and more frustrating than engaging.

GoW draws upon Greek mythos for their monsters, which I think they did an awesome job at bringing them to life. LoS' reimagined ghouls aren't very memorable with a few exceptions (Pan for instance).

Lords definately has some nice locales & scenery, the castle areas were superb and they need to greatly expand upon that in the next installment. But the wall shimmying everywhere just kills the vibe you'd expect from a true CV.

I'd say Gods is more epic since it laid the groundwork for what Lords did

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »
Lords of Shadow is an Epic, a Tragic Epic, of epic proportions.

God of war is a revenge story of Epic proportions, but it is not an epic.

Music actually sucks on both of em, "epic" music sounds good, but it usually shamelessly recycles a small amount of tracks and overall forgetful since none of the music follow a specific melody.

God or War uses Greek Mythology, but follows it with a grain of salt, me being a fan of a few great greek story which is heavy on the Gods, God of War 3 is the one that pisses me off the most since it defies its own logic it has set up in many ways.

Lords on the otherhand is usually built on multiple mythologies and movie mytholoy, its major flaw is poor execution of really engaging you into the story.

Since I am ratiung them completely separate, Lords Wins due to having Epic proportiions and as well as an Epic form of story which ends in Tragedy.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Chernabogue

• Abaddon's Student
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2017-02-Music Contest Runner-Up 2015-04- Music Contest 2nd Place 2015-03-Sprite Contest Silver Award 2015-02-Music Contest Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (PS3/X360)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »
Lords has a tragic feeling Gow has not. And that's a great difference.

Offline crisis

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Trollmeister: Knows just the right thing to say to tick you off, sometimes. The Great Collector: Has a seemingly obscene amount of Castlevania memorabilia.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »
Lords of Shadow uses Castlevania Mythology, but follows it with a grain of salt, me being a fan of a few great Castlevania story which is heavy on Dracula, Lords of Shadow is the one that pisses me off the most since it defies its own logic it has set up in many ways.

Storyline is all a matter of perspective... dunno if the topic was meant to be "which game has a more epic story"

Lords does end tragically though, i'll give you that

Offline BingleGod

• Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
Its hard to say IMHO. When it comes to God of War U have things like Kratos gangbanging lot's of hos for power ups, and thats about as manly -and thus epic XD -- as U can get. I shoed that part to my dad and we hi fived each other. (yep I have a gamer dad to all of U who r wondering. dont be jealous lol, but yah its pretty cool). Kratos doesnt care who lives or dies as long as he gets his way. Thats a philosiphy that would make Chuck Noriss proud.
On the other hands, Lords of Shradow  has soooo many parts that gave me shivers (literally).... like when Gabriel says "I am the lightening in that rain" The music also reminded me of Batman the Dark Knight, which is prolly my favorite movie of all time (if U wanna argue, just PM me. I have a twenty three page MS Word document saved for TDK debates, so dont say that I didn't warn U XD). The D.L.C. with the Forgotten One made Gabriel even more epic because U would have to be godly to kill the Forgotten One irl.

Offline A-Yty

• Your beloved monster
  • Master Hunter
  • Floating Catacomb janitor
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Linnavaanijat
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 06:03:27 PM »
Kratos is an asshole and Gabriel is emo.

Offline Ahasverus

• Just a long slumber
  • Master Hunter
  • Wandering on horizon road
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Town Crier: Updates the forum with many news items, often not even Castlevania. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: DraculaX: Rondo of Blood (PC-Engine)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
GoW is an angry filled tale, but it's not epic, at all. The music kinda is though.
LoS... is not the most epic thing on earth (talking about the literary definition of Epic) but it has more elements of classic tales, and of course the ending (or both endings) is shocking, and that's something GoW certainly lacks.
LoS is more "Epic" but it's because GoW is not epic at all.

Everything comes full circle

Offline Kingshango

• Crisis's retired back up dancer.
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »
As a fan of both game, I give Lords the edge simply because I liked Gabriel more than Kratos, granted Kratos was cool in the first game but GOW2/3 turned him into such a complete asshole that I was rooting for the enemy to win (which rarley happens to me in a game.)

Sure Gabriel was tipping hard on the emo side but at least he didn't turn into a total asshole...........Yet.

Plus I totaly think Gabriel could win in a fight with Kratos.

Offline Koutei

• Uboaaa!
  • Legendary Hunter
  • The Japanese People
  • Awards Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 08:25:23 PM »
Lords of Shadow, Will win in the Castlevania forum.

God of War, Will win in the God of War forum.
I'm on hiatus now.

Offline thernz

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
They both exceeded my epictations.

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 10:45:55 PM »
Lords comes off to me as a medieval God of War which I'm not fond of since it is supposed to be Castlevania and not any other game. God of War I thoroughly enjoyed even if some of the things in those games piss me right off from time to time. The music in Lords I never got into due to the games finicky short-usege of them. That and I still can't make out which tracks borrow from the older CV songs. God of War's music on the other hand lends out the right type of atmosphere for all its areas. It's true that several of the same tracks have made it to other GoW games in the series, however I find those tracks to be my favorites so I got no complaints. For combat it's God of War. Kratos is quick & deadly and wastes no time in taking out multiple opponents. Lords has a serious problem in that regard as it takes Gabriel way too much time to ground down a single enemy. That was a real turn-off for me. And in terms of Sex? God of War has it all. Yeah I'm digging myself a cozy little tomb for just saying that, but some of those women in the GoW games look hot! Even if their body-types aren't what I have in mind. For characters both Kratos and Gabriel are full-on combatants and both tragic characters in their own right. The difference between Kratos and Gabriel? Kratos refuses to fall to the darkside no-matter how many times the Gods broke their promises to him. Well I have yet to finish GoW 3 so I'm probable just sticking my own foot in my mouth for saying that  :P Above all GoW wins over Lords for me any day.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:01:53 PM »
GoW sucks! So who cares? LoS, while far from awesome, is atleast playable.

Offline Maedhros

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:28 PM »
LOL, the copy is more playable than the original? Yeaah... right...

I certainly said more "Well, FUCK!" in GoW than in LoS. I think I prefer Gabriel as character, but everything else was better in GoW, specially the music and the fuck'n memorable bosses.

Tags: