Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Roguelike Castlevania?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« on: December 19, 2013, 08:13:20 PM »
after playing a bit (okay, I beat it like 4 times) of Rogue Legacy, I said to myself, "If you add more zones, have the ability to warp to those zones at will and keep the random layouts, this could be a killer castlevania game."

what would you guys think?

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline Corpsecrank

• XXX
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Still uttering the same nonsense.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1/SS)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:50:47 AM »
Yeah I think it has potential. It would be different than other fan games in a sense because it would have randomly generated areas. The random areas make replay interesting if you don't mind that type of thing. It already seems to fit the style of classic cv games enough to just run with it. You could make many playable characters to choose from so that also makes replay more enjoyable. Like you said it would take little effort to make this a decent cv style game so I see no reason not to do so if you really wanted to.
You can find all my projects here: https://thetilepile.blogspot.com/

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
I was thinking that you could start with a random Belmont (or other weapon users) with 1-2 random sub weapons and a random playstyle, go through the random castle and acquire upgrades like Binding of Isaac, and unlock Souls of previous Characters to use Richter or Simon, or other more well known characters.

I think a prototype should simply be SoTN with random layouts until the system is figured out then move on to newer, more interesting areas

The advantage of a rougelike approach is that the cartography of the map doesn't need to to be completely mapped out, just make a few rooms, variate the enemies and presto, the game lays itself out.

Offline theANdROId

• Legendary Hunter
  • Raiding the Castle's Treasure Room...
  • Awards 2014-12-FoodItem Sprite Contest 3rd Place Winner
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (N64)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »
Sounds interesting to me!

Offline darkmanx_429

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
No video?

Vamprotector Lead Creator and Producer

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »
I started on a similar idea maybe a year or so back. I posted about it on here even had some simple examples. I forget what the thread was called tho

Offline Dracula9

• That One Guy
  • Master Hunter
  • Blargh
  • Awards 2015-01-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-12-Music Contest Gold Prize 2014-11-November FinalBoss Sprite Contest 2nd Place Winner A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. 2018-06 Sprite Contest First Place
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »
I know there is a roguelike CV simply titled "CastlevaniaRL," but I haven't heard of any others. KaZ, yours there sounds pretty amazing.

Now, if only we could get one similar to NetHack...I'm always on the market for Command Prompt-run games.

Trøllabundin eri eg, inn í hjartarót.

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 04:26:35 PM »
I was thinking of a plot which, similar to Judgement involves Time reaper, who freezes the castle in limbo, void of time and space, he draws the power of Dracula and his servants gathering dark power over time, Trapping the souls of every hero that conquered Dracula, knowing that there would be no real opposition, Aeon and St. Germain team up to pluck worthy Descendents of each vampire slaying clan to restore the souls of the Heroes while gathering equipment and power-ups throughout time plus anomalies that have made it's way in.

The Castle now more alive, tends to shift it's shape rather quickly, making every navigation a meaningless exploration...

The play-style has a fair choice between Classic and Metroidvania style plays, If we can master the coding for both we'll have both

Classic - Linear areas, Stage progression

Metroid - One big map in sections, Warp points are permanent, though the rest of the map is entirely random

Tags:

anything