Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Games you're not allowed to like or hate  (Read 17638 times)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
Re: Games you're not allowed to like or hate
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
+1
@DoctaMario: With LoD you get improved camera controls with the D-Pad, as well as two new stages.  There are improved controls for when you're hanging on ledges, which is what most people complained about with CV64 because you always would have to press UP on the Control stick to climb a ledge, no matter what angle the camera was viewing you from, thus causing confusion (if the camera is facing the cliff, pressing UP means pressing away from the ledge, while in LoD you press 'towards the direction of the ledge'.
You alwo get subweapon upgrades, which improve their range/intensity.

Having said that, CV64 does have its charms (Simon Belmont and Maria Renard costumes :D).

I forgot about the camera thing. BUt I actually preferred the control scheme for ledges in CV64. To me, it was c confusing in LoD trying to figure out which direction you had to push depending on the angle of the camera. With CV64, it was UP every time, no guesswork there. And I DID like the subweapon upgrades. But I still vastly prefer the levels in CV64 (except Duel Tower, MAN do I hate that stage! >_< ) But weren't there three new stages in LoD? Shipwreck, Outer Wall, and Art Tower? Or am I mistaken?

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Boogeymen check under their beds for Julius Belmont.
  • Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • It will always be Brinstar, dammit!
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Jorge's DeviantArt Page
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »
You get the Foggy Lake (Haunted Ship), the Outer Wall (Cornell Only), the Art Tower (Cornell Only), and the Tower or Ruins (Cornell Only).

You get some slight redesigns in the Underground Waterway (Carrie), and the Cave (Reinhardt) but they're very subtle (I think it's just some item placement, textures, and one or two platforms, but I do not have the maps for these so I could be talking out of my ass).
You get bigger redesigns in the Tower of Science, and Tower of Sorcery (Carrie) and the Tower of Duels and Tower of Execution (Reinhardt).
In particular, the Tower of Execution is radically different, as the pillar in the center of the molten steel section isn't completely formed yet, and instead is a smoldering mess of a platform, as opposed to it being a fully-regenerated pillar in the N64 version.  I guess the castle hadn't fully configured itself yet.
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
Jorge's Kickass Youtube CV Music Channel
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2012, 09:26:04 AM »
You get the Foggy Lake (Haunted Ship), the Outer Wall (Cornell Only), the Art Tower (Cornell Only), and the Tower or Ruins (Cornell Only).

You get some slight redesigns in the Underground Waterway (Carrie), and the Cave (Reinhardt) but they're very subtle (I think it's just some item placement, textures, and one or two platforms, but I do not have the maps for these so I could be talking out of my ass).
You get bigger redesigns in the Tower of Science, and Tower of Sorcery (Carrie) and the Tower of Duels and Tower of Execution (Reinhardt).
In particular, the Tower of Execution is radically different, as the pillar in the center of the molten steel section isn't completely formed yet, and instead is a smoldering mess of a platform, as opposed to it being a fully-regenerated pillar in the N64 version.  I guess the castle hadn't fully configured itself yet.

Ah! I forgot Tower Of Ruins. The basement of that level was really cool until you got knocked down there a couple times. The Waterway and Cave levels were actually pretty different. Most of the levels were, which I think was a detriment in most cases. And the 64 games are near the top of my list of favorite CV games, but I just wish they'd kept the levels from CV64 or come up with some entirely new ones because the redesigns just don't make as much sense to me.

The Forest Of Silence is a good case in point. To me, a forest is a single plane level, not all sorts of cliff scaling and such (and I know there was a bit of cliff scaling in the CV64 version, but I thought that too took away from the false serenity of the level.) I thought FoS in CV64 was a good way to get familiar with the game's mechanics in a fairly low-risk environment, and it actually seemed to resemble a FOREST.  The one in LoD was just...weird. It had some cool parts to it, don't get me wrong, but it was just not as well designed. Same with a lot of the other levels. The Tower of Sorcery in CV64 was incredible, especially the part where you climb that little pillar in the middle of the level and you can see the windows in the background as you do, but the one in LoD was a bit of a let-down.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:28:44 AM by DoctaMario »

Offline X

• Xenocide
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
I've recently played LoD and I can tell you that virtually all the stages have had either a major or minor facelift.
"Spirituality is God's gift to humanity...
Religion is Man's flawed interpretation of Spirituality given back to humanity..."

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards A great musician and composer of various melodies both original and game-based. The Artist: Designs copious amounts of assorted artwork. 2015-03-3D Art Contest GOLD Award SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon.
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2012, 11:25:54 AM »
I love both of those games.  Back in the day, they were the prettiest thing second to Ocarina of Time (you have to put nostalgia glasses and remember that the best games on the N64 after these were usually Rareware games like Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day... and nothing on the PSX except maybe Metal Gear was as cool in terms of true 3D exploration games).

It's true that they haven't aged well though.  Still, they're a fun random romp.

Can anyone think of games that, at the time, were pretty ground-breaking, in terms of 3D gameplay and graphics?
The reason I ask is, the N64 games get a lot of flak for not aging well, not being very pretty graphically.  I don't recall, however, there being anything that much prettier graphics-wise around those years.  I did not own a Playstation 1 for a while and I'm talking strictly 3D Adventure titles.

The stuff I can think of is
N64:
GoldenEye
JetForce Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Ocarina of Time
Paper Mario (though that's not really 3D... well it sort of is...)
Super Smash Bros.

And on PS1:
Metal Gear
SoulBlade
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:29:53 AM by Jorge D. Fuentes »
You must obey Da Rulez!
Jorge's Kickass VG Radio Station Open it in Winamp/MPClassic (broadband connection preferred)
My Personal Minecraft Server (send me your In-Game Name so that I may Whitelist you)

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »
I love both of those games.  Back in the day, they were the prettiest thing second to Ocarina of Time (you have to put nostalgia glasses and remember that the best games on the N64 after these were usually Rareware games like Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day... and nothing on the PSX except maybe Metal Gear was as cool in terms of true 3D exploration games).

It's true that they haven't aged well though.  Still, they're a fun random romp.

Can anyone think of games that, at the time, were pretty ground-breaking, in terms of 3D gameplay and graphics?
The reason I ask is, the N64 games get a lot of flak for not aging well, not being very pretty graphically.  I don't recall, however, there being anything that much prettier graphics-wise around those years.  I did not own a Playstation 1 for a while and I'm talking strictly 3D Adventure titles.

N64:
GoldenEye
JetForce Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros.

And on PS1:
Metal Gear
SoulBlade

Games listed all awesome, and when Rare was THE developer of the time I have the chance to but a japanese version of space force gemini right now alongside pokemon stadium(2)jp version and bomberman hero boxed. I love boxed games.

Also I guess you can say for the ps1 chrono cross or the final fantasys, and what about spyro and crashbandit?Yes two are rpgs but this is what I can think of at the moment ps1 was more diverse and had great looking games in all departments at least one in each genre from Sotn and star ocean or valkyrie profile to soul blade and tekken to chrono cross to grand turismo and ff it just seems that when compared to n64, ps1 had little bangs in big numbers and the n64 had big bangs in little numbers I guess. And I know that you were talking about adventure titles and these those two titles were all I could come up with I do not know if oddworld was 3d and there was tomb raider, but it seems Lara was remembered more for her breast than her gameplay.

And I got a boxed japanese version of yoshi's story just a couple of days ago for 19.99 not bad I must say.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:17:40 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Jorge D. Fuentes

• Administrator
  • Master Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
I would have listed the FF games for PS1, but most of them used only 3d character models and were actually on 2d backgrounds (unless there was overworld traveling, but that was really basic-looking on most titles).

Also, forgot about Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing.

Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are good examples of PS1 3D platformers, etc.  Were there more?
You must obey Da Rulez!

Offline Neobelmont

• Advocate of the future
  • Master Hunter
  • Not going to lie I love blue haired anime chicks
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Unfazed: Never loses his/her calm, even in the most heated arguments.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
I would have listed the FF games for PS1, but most of them used only 3d character models and were actually on 2d backgrounds (unless there was overworld traveling, but that was really basic-looking on most titles).

Also, forgot about Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing.

Spyro and Crash Bandicoot are good examples of PS1 3D platformers, etc.  Were there more?

Slient Hill is one, but we all know it is not an action platformer.

What was it called pre-rendered backgrounds right? resident evil used them untill the 4th right?
There is this

Medievil (PS1) The Graveyard (2)

(fun fact)and believe it or not onimusha was going to be a ps1 game

Onimusha [PS1] for the original PlayStation
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:32:44 PM by Neobelmont »
(click to show/hide)
Come on now this was going to happen eventually  :P

Offline Puwexil

• Vampire Hunter
  • Awards Will viciously hate any that draw his/her ire, with little provocation. The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. Lurker: Spies on from afar, rarely interacting with the general populace.
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2012, 06:16:33 AM »
+1
Good-looking PS1 3D games:
  • Bushido Blade and its sequel
  • Dino Crisis
  • Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring
  • Einhänder
  • G-Darius
  • Jumping Flash! and its sequel
  • Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Mega Man Legends and its sequel, and spin-off The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • R-Type Delta
  • Rival Schools: United by Fate
  • Silent Hill
  • Soul Blade
  • Tekken series
  • Vagrant Story

Ranging into partially 3D stuff, there are games that utilize pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D characters and objects on top, like the Final Fantasy series, Resident Evil series, Parasite Eve, Chrono Cross etc., and games that do the opposite, with 2D sprites on top of 3D environments, like Grandia, Xenogears or Breath of Fire series.

Offline DoctaMario

• Legendary Hunter
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »

N64:
GoldenEye
JetForce Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Bros.

And on PS1:
Metal Gear
SoulBlade

Well, that WAS the first generation of 3d on home consoles, so you have to expect that it wouldn't age well. I still like those games though, and I'd add Perfect Dark to the list. That game was a landmark on the N64 for graphics and sound.

But I still like the look of those games for nostalgia purposes, kinda like I really love the art in Rondo of Blood because it represents the look of its time very well.

Offline Soulsteal

• I like CV2, Got a problem with that?
  • Its CV1 only SUPER CHARGE IT!
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
I liked Circle of the Moon, hated Ecclesia, loved PoR, loved HD, CV3 on the NES is just a chore,

Tags: Like Hate