Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: Gamecube Game Memories  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
I remember getting Eternal Darkness. Probably one of the most frightening in the Horror Genre games I've played. Lots of portions of that game freaked me out. Especially the moments when you would hallucinate in the game and all of a sudden you would think your controller wouldn't work. It was a great experience in that the game wasn't really broken up by area per say but portions of the story you would come to. Areas would become changes and depending on what rune you picked, the story would change a bit. Overall I had never seen a game like this before and was quite shocked that such a game could stand alongside Resident Evil Remake for Gamecube and really provide some variety for the console.

I also remember Bloody Roar: Primal Fury for Gamecube. It was the only Bloody Roar game I'd played in the series. I didn't mind it. Wasn't a bad fighting game. I think I would use Long and a couple of other characters. Was interesting how they made the character Alice a rabbit in the game. As far as 3D fighters not many to me have held up to Virtua Fighter. But I dunno this one wasn't too bad.

Resident Evil Remake, of course I had to own this one. Though many have said it wasn't as good as the original, I think they are out of their minds. The addition of Zombies opening and bashing through doors as well as Crimson Heads made the game even more intense to play. The new music wasn't as redundant as well. The remix of the Save Room was very nicely done. The new areas and additions to the story were great. This was before Resident Evil 5 came along and the story became ridiculous. It was nice to see a good old fashioned Zombie RE game before Wesker became a silly megalomaniac.

Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain was a huge letdown for me. Not all this is going to be positive experiences about games. After playing Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver and really enjoying it, I really expected a lot out of Blood Omen 2. To be honest I was so disappointed in it I couldn't even finish the game. The story just never picked up like I hoped it would.

And for a game I saw up close and personal and never got a chance to actually buy and play it:

Metroid Prime. I remember being at a someones house and watching him play it. To be honest I'm not really interested in First Person Shooters. However, I think Metroid Prime could have grown on me just like Doom 1 and 2 as well as Rise of the Triad and Blake Stone did. Metroid Prime didn't seem as slow paced and boring as a Turok or Halo game. From what I was seeing the guy playing it was getting mobbed by monsters. I remember thinking if I ever owned a Gamecube I would get this game. Unfortunately, I never had a Gamecube long enough to pick it up. Seeing The Other M on You Tube impressed me further I will be honest. I like 3rd person view better than first person. However, in Metroid Prime the First Person view didn't seem too fixed in irritating.

Offline shelverton.

• Master Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Capable of resolving arguments/fights peacefully without mod/admin intervention.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 09:59:12 PM »

This thread needs more VIEWTIFUL JOE! I loved those games on the gamecube.

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 10:07:33 PM »
Another game I'm actually kicking myself for not playing is Skies of Arcadia. I kept hearing so much about Skies of Arcadia that it was really a shame I didn't get a chance to try it. Also there was a Bonk's Adventure remake:

Hudson Selection Volume 3: Bonk's Adventure / Round 1

That I would have loved to have given a shot since I really enjoyed the series on Turbo Grafix. Its just a shame they didn't throw in a copy of a Legendary Axe remake along with it. Though this was just a Japanese game anyways so we wouldn't have been able to get it here.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
If you liked Eternal Darkness you might enjoy the work of H.P. Lovecraft and the writers who followed him in the Cthulhu Mythos*, it's what Eternal Darkness is inspired by/based on. Though they changed the names of the deities in ED for copyright reasons. I dunno, I've only had a gamecube for a couple of years. I was kind of underwhelmed by Eternal Darkness to be honest though. There weren't that many areas and once you learn the the heal and regain sanity spells all you have to do is walk around in circles in one of the many empty rooms for a minute to get your mana up, then heal yourself/your sanity. Without the sanity effects monsters are incredibly easy to dodge so they're not scary. I got to like the second to last level and didn't finish it because I was tired of the repetition. Probably pick it up again sometime just to beat it.

Bloody Roar is probably my favorite 3D fighting series and Primal Fury is a good entry. I've got the REmake and 0 but haven't played them yet, hoping I can get a controller with a decent dpad first. I loved Twilight Princess, it really stinks that they didn't give you the widescreen option in the gamecube version though, just out of spite. And it stinks even more that they flipped the entire world to be backwards just so he'd be right handed on the wii. Oh well, at least my version was spared that game-breaking save bug.

*Be warned though, he was very xenophobic and it shows in his writing.

PS- If you're curious about H.P. Lovecraft's writing there is a pretty good documentary on him from a few years ago, though the discussions about particular stories in it are spoiler-tastic. Last I checked you can watch it free on Crackle if you're in the US at least. Here's the trailer for it
LOVECRAFT: Fear Of The Unknown Trailer
To give you an idea of his influence, he's the guy who invented the "Necronomicon", which has been a macguffin in everything from the Evil Dead movies to comic books to Saturday Morning Cartoons. It's so well known a lot of people even think it's a real book.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:44:30 PM by Ratty »

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
If you liked Eternal Darkness you might enjoy the work of H.P. Lovecraft and the writers who followed him in the Cthulhu Mythos, it's what Eternal Darkness is inspired by/based on. Though they changed the names of the deities in ED for copyright reasons. I dunno, I've only had a gamecube for a couple of years. I was kind of underwhelmed by Eternal Darkness to be honest though. There weren't that many areas and once you learn the the heal and regain sanity spells all you have to do is walk around in circles in one of the many empty rooms for a minute to get your mana up, then heal yourself/your sanity. Without the sanity effects monsters are incredibly easy to dodge so they're not scary. I got to like the second to last level and didn't finish it because I was tired of the repetition. Probably pick it up again sometime just to beat it.

Bloody Roar is probably my favorite 3D fighting series and Primal Fury is a good entry. I've got the REmake and 0 but haven't played them yet, hoping I can get a controller with a decent dpad first. I loved Twilight Princess, it really stinks that they didn't give you the widescreen option in the gamecube version though, just out of spite. And it stinks even more that they flipped the entire world to be backwards just so he'd be right handed on the wii. Oh well, at least my version was spared that game-breaking save bug.

Another freaky game which was an old game was for the PC and it was called Darkseed. I want to stick to the subject which is Gamecube games but this very much relates to Eternal Darkness in the respect that its pretty much in the Horror Genre. Mostly, I liked the illusions of the Dark World as well as scenes in the Light world better and found them to be a good amount creepier. I tend to agree Eternal Darkness could have been a lot better than it was. Lots of people had been waiting since the Nintendo 64 to play it. There was a lot of hype surrounding the game and though it was alright, it couldn't live up to its hype coming out when it did because in essence it was an N64 game which worked within the limitations of the N64. Really, I think they should have went back to the drawing board and Eternal Darkness could have come out a lot later so more could have been added to it so people didn't feel it was so incomplete. So in a way I do agree with you. Though if you compare it to the ridiculousness of Resident Evil 5, it was a lot more creative in a lot of different ways.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:29:54 PM by Johnny »

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:36 PM »
Another freaky game which was an old game was for the PC and it was called Darkseed. I want to stick to the subject which is Gamecube games but this very much relates to Eternal Darkness in the respect that its pretty much in the Horror Genre. Mostly, I liked the illusions of the Dark World as well as scenes in the Light world better and found them to be a good amount creepier. I tend to agree Eternal Darkness could have been a lot better than it was. Lots of people had been waiting since the Nintendo 64 to play it. There was a lot of hype surrounding the game and though it was alright, it wasn't live up to its hype. So in a way I do agree with you. Though if you compare it to the ridiculousness of Resident Evil 5, it was a lot more creative in a lot of different ways.
Yeah Darkseed was obviously Cthulhu inspired, it also had the dark surrealist artwork of H.R. Giger, best known for his creation of the Xenomorph design from the "Alien" franchise.

Don't really own that many other gamecube games aside from the ones I mentioned, because it's difficult to find a good condition Gamecube controller these days.
"Serious Sam: The Next Encounter" was pretty good until it got way too cheap with tiny areas in the last couple of levels, which is not in the spirit of Croteam's original creation, but then a 3rd party dev team made TNE. Still looking forward to co-oping through the fan-remake on the Serious Engine 3 when that gets done.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:34:46 PM by Ratty »

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:56 PM »
I mean I guess I can't forget to mention Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Brothers, Kirby and Pokemon. Surely those hold a special place in peoples hearts.

However, the ones I feel like I missed was Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Alien Hominid, F-Zero GX, Bonk's Adventure Remake, Metroid Prime series, Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (since I never even played the original Zelda Ocarina of Time), Zelda: Twilight Princess, Zelda: Windwaker (I've grown to really like the Cel Shading style since playing Jet Set Future a long time ago and seeing Jet Grind Radio make a return of sorts), and Megaman Battle Network.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:44:36 PM by Johnny »

Offline Ratty

• Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
I mean I guess I can't forget to mention Mario Sunshine, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Super Smash Brothers, Kirby and Pokemon. Surely those hold a special place in peoples hearts.

However, the ones I feel like I missed was Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Alien Hominid, F-Zero GX, Bonk's Adventure Remake, Metroid Prime series, Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest (since I never even played the original Zelda Ocarina of Time), Zelda: Twilight Princess, Zelda: Windwaker (I've grown to really like the Cel Shading style since playing Jet Set Future a long time ago and seeing Jet Grind Radio make a return of sorts), and Megaman Battle Network.

If you like Cel shading I recommend Sly Cooper (the HD trilogy collection if you've got a PS3, the games individually on the PS2 are pretty cheap these days as well) it's a wonderful, fun series. Just played Phantasy Star 1, guess I'll work my way up to the others. Was playing Ocarina of Time for the first time a couple weeks ago but then I saved as adult Link without getting Epona, so just quit to restart some other time. Been a bit curious about the Prime series, but wouldn't want to get a wii just to finish the trilogy. Though I suppose I'll get one for Judgement/Adventure ReBirth at some point anyway.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:49:38 PM by Ratty »

Offline Johnny

• Hidden Character
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Change is inevitable.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
If you like Cel shading I recommend Sly Cooper (the HD trilogy collection if you've got a PS3, the games individually on the PS2 are pretty cheap these days as well) it's a wonderful, fun series. Just played Phantasy Star 1, guess I'll work my way up to the others. Was playing Ocarina of Time for the first time a couple weeks ago but then I saved as adult Link without getting Epona, so just quit to restart some other time. Been a bit curious about the Prime series, but wouldn't want to get a wii just to finish the trilogy. Though I suppose I'll get one for Judgement/Adventure ReBirth at some point anyway.

Well the thing lately is that I kinda just jumped into Open Source gaming a lot. I had a PS3 but I sold it. I think most of the games I really want are games from Indie Developers. They are cheaper (some are even free and open source) and the quality has gotten better. I just feel as though things have changed a lot now a days from the past when basically stuff like the Phantom and god knows what other consoles and games were brought out.

Though I still have some memories of all the consoles I owned. I picked to highlight the Gamecube because there are a lot of people around this place and other places who love Nintendo. For who Nintendo is they are a great company and although I have bashed them a lot in the past, my respect for Nintendo has grown significantly. Although I still plan to get no new Nintendo consoles or games, I stopped bashing them because Nintendo was a part of my childhood and for that I couldn't forget them. To which out of the NES and SNES spawned some amazing games and concepts.

The way gaming in general is going now a days I just don't like it. I'm an old fashioned gamer. I'm used to my 16 and 8 bit NES and SNES games which cost at max $45 - $50.00. Not these Special Editions and crazy this and that when it comes to new games. When I saw Sonic 4: Episode 2 costing $20.00 for only a few zones and minimal content on PSN, it was then I realized I had to throw in the towel on conventional gaming. Though I would never knock any of the console companies as far as games are concerned per say. Each console has some great games in its own right. But I am looking more or less on the developing end and how you could tweak a game more or less. Hence why I bought an Evo 2 DX.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:01:02 PM by Johnny »

Offline knightmere

• Lord of The Abyss
  • Legendary Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
I never owned a Gamecube though in retrospect I wish that I had.  I didn't get to enjoy REmake, RE:0 & the Metroid Prime games until the Wii versions came out.  I actually shunned the Prime games until I tried Prime 2 out at a Game Crazy store.  I always had throught that Metroid as an FPS would never work.  Boy was I ever wrong, they are some of my most favorite games and definitely worthy of the Metroid Title. Paper Mario: TTYD was also a great sequel.

Tags: