Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: OUYA is out today!  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Gecko

• King for 1,000 Years on Occasion Avenue
  • Vampire Hunter
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
« on: June 25, 2013, 02:47:35 PM »
+1
It's supposed to be available at Gamestop, Best Buy, and Target.

For those who don't know, it's a game console running on the Android OS, meant to make it easy for independent and other small game studios to get their games out to the public. It also allows you to play games otherwise meant for mobile phones on your TV screen. Beyond that, it already has software for videogame emulation, so you can play NES, SNES, N64, Playstation, etc. games on your TV in high definition. One emulator even has a store where you can buy newly made NES games! Because of what it is, it will have a lot of shovelware, but there are already a few gems on there and there are other potentially great games already in development, or on the way to being ported over.

I'm really interested in some of the games they currently have on there. Final Fantasy 3 remake (it's apparenly the same as the DS version, but HD), A Bit of a Fist of Awesome, The Bard's Tale, The Ball, Rush Bros, Ravensword: Shadowlands., Shadowgun, Towerfall, Fester Mudd (Scumm is still alive!), and probably a few more. Chronoblade looks awesome, and will be free to play in browsers when it actually comes out, but they have the demo on OUYA now. It will also be free on OUYA, and I just love playing videogames on a console hooked up to my TV. I think most things on OUYA are available in other systems/phones/pcs, but I like that it brings so much into one console on TV. Plus, they're getting some exclusives like Broken Age, from Double-Fine Entertainment. The system comes with tools to help anyone develop games for it too, so there will definitely be an abundance of games to come. Most will probably be shovelware, but I know a few gems will come out of the woodwork given time.

Official Site + current game list: http://www.ouya.tv/
------------
Return to CastleVania

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Vampire Killer (MSX)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »
I thought it was coming out last week? I really need to keep up with the developer newsletters.
"Stuff and things."

Offline Abnormal Freak

• luvz Elizabeth B.
  • Master Hunter
  • Swanktastic
  • Awards ICVD Denizen: Those that dwell in the corrupted, mirror image of The Dungeon. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can. The Music Fanatic: Listens to a large collection of music, posts lyrics, etc. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Swankster's Backloggery
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:53:18 PM »
One of those things where I'm waiting to see a slew of cool things before I buy. A Double Fine exclusive would definitely get me plunking down the cash. Haul off a bunch of DVDs, buy a game console. Presto!
Oh yeah, and also:
meat

Soda as well.

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Obliterated CharloNathan and has no regrets
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
I heard it sucks.

A look at an Ouya | Ashens

But that's just what some bearded British guy on the internet told me.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »
Doesn't seem so bad to me at all. Just needs more content.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 10:56:18 PM by Inccubus »
"Stuff and things."

Offline Flame

• Master Hunter
  • Master of Castle von Morder
  • Awards Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:46:04 PM »
IMO if I want to play android games i'll use my phone, since the majority of them are pretty cheap shit. (and I don't mean the price.)

Now, if people started making Ouya exclusive android games, that are NOT just cheap casual phoneware, that would pique my interest more.
Laura and Gabriel arrive in the deepest cave of the castle and... they find IGA.

Offline Inccubus

• Wannabe Great Old One
  • Master Hunter
  • Warrior
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
And then people start immediately complaining about phones having shitty controls.
The main point is to be able to play these games on a big screen with a proper controller on an open-source system.

And I hate all the talk of exclusive this and exclusive that in the industry. Who cares if it's exclusive or not? That's elitist bullshit sounding. Furthermore, exclusivity is bad for the consumer and limits sales to an extent for the creator.

I submit this:

Ouya - Review thoughts & journalistic integrity
"Stuff and things."

Offline Aridale

• Master Hunter
  • =D
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. Hack Master makes creations out of CV parts. (S)he makes Dr. Frankenstein proud.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:39 PM »
The ouya is pretty damn cool Ive been enjoyin the hell outta mine. Its worth 100$ if for no other reason than an emulation box. I dunno why all the hate on it it does pretty much exactly what was promised in the kickstarter... Its a 100$ open platform game console... and it does that pretty damn well

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
  • Awards Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply. The Pervert: Sneaks in any and all innuendo into threads that he/she can.
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
I submit this:

Ouya - Review thoughts & journalistic integrity
Your assembly line analogy doesn't work, because obviously Chrysler doesn't intend a half-finished car frame to be available to the public with fancy packaging and an ad campaign. The pre-release Ouya, however, was meant for public consumption. It's the same thing as showing off a prototype concept car for an exhibit. And why would you build a prototype? derp, to gauge public interest and work out kinks for the finished product.

This is going to be my new thing.  I hope you guys don't mind.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:37:05 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Legendary Hunter
  • Neg on that, Chummer
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »
Having not played whatever that is from, care to explain the inside-joke? Spoiler-box it if necessary :)
12/1/12: Nominated for my 1st award! Thanks to all :D

Offline Super Waffle

• Master Hunter
    • The zone
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:25 PM »
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88702&start=249
http://castlevaniadungeon.net/forums/index.php/topic,6316.0.html

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 07:29:53 PM by Super Waffle »

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:09:05 PM »
I heard it sucks.

But that's just what some bearded British guy on the internet told me.

It'd be nice to see Ashens do a follow-up video in a few months to talk about how the system software and game library has improved or failed to improve. His relative detachment from the video game industry makes me more apt to trust his opinion than the big news outlets who you know are getting paid by Microsoft/Sony to say the Ouya is crap. *cough*gamespot*cough* Not that I plan to actually get an Ouya either way unless there's some really good exclusive, which seems to run contrary to the open concept of the system. Seems like you could do all of the same stuff with a PC that has an HDMI out.

One of my favorite videos on youtube is an Ashens console review
KenSingTon Sport Vii Review ('Chintendo' Wii rip-off)
And I still kinda want one of these.

I'm not sure why I find a snarky British man looking at toys on a sofa so captivating, but I do. Especially if they're really old toys.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:20:51 PM by Ratty »

Tags:

anything