Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: SteamOS announced, do you think Linux can become a viable game platform?  (Read 2263 times)

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
Gabe Newell has made his concerns about the closed nature of Windows 8 known for a long time, and I agree with him. The relative openness of Windows was always a big part of its appeal. He's also said repeatedly that he thinks Linux is the future of gaming and now, as many of you have no doubt already heard, Valve's head has put his money where his mouth is.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128065-Valve-Reveals-SteamOS

While it's made clear that SteamOS is was created with the long anticipated Steambox console in mind. But it's also said that, in true Linux fashion, users will be free to alter to fit their purposes. What do you think? Can this work? Honestly I have to say for me if it was a choice between Windows 8, iOS and Linux the only thing that would make me choose Win8 or iOS is games. So I would love to see this happen since iOS is already closed and it seems Windows will only become more and more draconian in the future.

Offline Lelygax

• The Wanderer
  • Master Hunter
  • Its useless, its all useless.
  • Awards 2017-07-Sprite Contest First Place Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
Re: SteamOS announced, do you think Linux can become a viable game platform?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »
Okay, another distro, lets see if they will really do it from scratch or will be only another of these 1000+ bases that are almost 90% of distros... (base as in ("Debian based", Ubuntu based, etc.) Atleast thats what happen with the majority of Linux (Gnu/Linux) distros, that are simply the very same base OS that comes with different programs pre-installed and different configs/themes/wallpaper.

"Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want. Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love. SteamOS will continue to evolve, but will remain an environment designed to foster these kinds of innovation."

-Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want.
WE can change hardware when we want already, this statement seems a attack on Apple for me, since he already said that he seems Apple as the only menace now.

-Gamers are empowered to join in the creation of the games they love.
Built-in Kickstarter/IndieGoGo! system anyone? Its the only way that I can see companies being "happy" about consumers interacting with their creations, this and using a model where you can give feedback, like Inafune did.

I will be honest, Im really affraid now. They realized that new generation=kids=that play games. So if they unite games (a market that they totally control on PC now) with a new OS, this OS will become the new standard in some years. But since they want to reach the livingroom too, they possibly will control even more. They plan to control the world with their cheap prices and special promotions! Run! Everyone run! xD
(click to show/hide)
Hau auu~     

Offline Kale

• The Ophidian Lord
  • Master Hunter
  • Awards One-Time Show: Not quite a lurker, but posts infrequently and in only few areas. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:34 PM »
Yes.

Even Nvidia jumped on board, so that's a push. As long as it shows a bit, it will go far. But it needs to be accessible. If not, good luck with that.

Offline Ratty

• A Little Pile of Secrets
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Hunter
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • Awards The Retro Gamer: Has a heated passion for the oldschool VG Titles. The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Other (?)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »
Yes.

Even Nvidia jumped on board, so that's a push. As long as it shows a bit, it will go far. But it needs to be accessible. If not, good luck with that.

That's the thing about Linux, it's not really accessible if you want games. While the average non-gamer could be perfectly happy using one of the Windows-alike distros such as Ubuntu once they got down the basics of downloading programs, if you've ever tried installing a Linux port for a PC game, it's quite maddening. You'll be so sick of typing in "apt-get" after 3 hours of trying to figure out what the conflict is you'll long for the days of Pong. I'm wondering how this one is going to change, surely steam is planning on making PC games more friendly to Linux, some advanced form of "Wine" perhaps? The question is how much of that is going to be "open" and able to be put into other Linux distros?

Tags:

anything