Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] [ID] Topic: One plot complaint I don't understand about the LoS trilogy (MoF spoilers)  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania: The DraculaX Chronicles (PSP)
And it's that some people have an issue with Gabriel not knowing about Trevor's birth until Trevor's death.

The reason I don't understand it is that the LoS trilogy takes place during before the Crusades. It's still an extremely technologically lacking era, so traveling is a VERY VERY lengthy process (and this is STILL an understatement). And we clearly see at the beginning of MoF, Gabriel leaves on a mission, and it's revealed Marie is pregnant, yet clearly she didn't let Gabriel know.

Soon, we see that Marie has borne a child, that child being Trevor. And Gabriel isn't present. So we can obviously see that Gabriel hasn't yet returned from his mission within the 9 months of pregnancy, so he wouldn't have known about this. This length of time he's gone is normal for the time period it takes place in, on top of the fact that we don't even know how far Gabriel's journey took him (what with LoS taking place in a fictional landscape).

So I just don't really understand why people have complaints over this, or why people have stated it doesn't make sense. To me, it makes perfect sense, and I just kinda wanna know where people are coming from on this. Lords of Shadow has several problems with its plot ever since the first game of the trilogy, but this is one particular point I think made perfect sense.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:32:49 PM by Claimh Solais »
Currently Playing: Resident Evil 2 [N64]
Games Beaten This Year (2020): 20 Games

Offline KaZudra

• Master Hunter
  • Awards 2016-04-Story Contest - 2nd Place Master Debater: Gracefully argues 'til the cows come home about topics.
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis)
Which brings to the bigger plot hole, the entire Trevor Child plot in LoS2, then again, LoS2 is plot-swiss-cheese.

"I ain't gonna let it get to me I'm just gonna let it get to me" -Knuckles

Offline AlexCalvo

• The man.
  • Legendary Hunter
  • No longer a jerk, but still wonderful.
  • Awards SuperOld Dungeonite: Members who have been around since the oldOLD days.
    • Awards
When was it stated that LoS takes place during the crusades?  That would be an even bigger historical flub than LoI.  But I always felt that the LoS world is more of a high fantasy world than the old timeline(one of many things I dis-like about it), so whatevs.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13104670/1/Castlevania-Birth-of-the-Dragon

Dracula was not always a monster. He was once a man named Mathias Cronqvist. A flawed, conflicted, genius of a man. How did the educated, aristocratic, crusader who piously served the church become a vampire, and eventually the Dark Lord himself, the opposing force to God? From a very young age terrors and tragedy shaped the man into the king of all evil. This is his story.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
  • Awards The Great Defender will always defend the object of his or her fandom. Permanent Resident: Seems to always be around to post/reply.
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
When was it stated that LoS takes place during the crusades?  That would be an even bigger historical flub than LoI.  But I always felt that the LoS world is more of a high fantasy world than the old timeline(one of many things I dis-like about it), so whatevs.

Actually takes place before, I think. That was a mistake on my part. The game takes place in 1047, and I believe the Crusades began in 1096.

Full disclosure: I don't really know when most eras began and ended, just really the general area of time they were at.

Which brings to the bigger plot hole, the entire Trevor Child plot in LoS2, then again, LoS2 is plot-swiss-cheese.

Yeah, I choose to just kind of ignore the plot in general in LoS2. That game's plot was such a trainwreck.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 06:17:37 PM by Claimh Solais »

Offline JayDominus

• Count Janus Dominus
  • Hunter in Training
  • Only at the Castle Gate...
    • Awards
  • Favorite Game: Castlevania (NES/etc)
While there are a lot of plot holes to choose from in LoS, this isn't one of them. Gabriel is clearly the Brotherhood's most capable agent and thus it's natural for him to be on missions. As noted before, traveling somewhere took a lot of time back in the day when you could either ride on a horse (and no horse is going to compare to a car) or travel by foot. Bear in mind that he is heavily armed, the roads suck on toast and the land is full of all sorts of dangers from brigands to beasts, not mentioning all the supernatural crap. I find it pretty believable that it would take him around a year to go to the Bernhard Castle (remember, last time he had a lift from Pan) and back again on his own.

Offline Claimh Solais

• Ronove the Radical
  • Master Hunter
  • GO FIGHT!!
    • Claimh Solais
    • Awards
Yeah, my point exactly. I've just seen before on here some people talking about how it makes no sense that Gabriel didn't know about Trevor, and recently I've seen a lot of people bring it up on GameFAQs for the same reason. But that's one of the plot points that DID make sense in the trilogy.

Unlike, as stated before, the young Trevor plotline in LoS2, which made no sense at all, as Gabriel wouldn't really have much emotional attachment to Trevor, particularly not as a child. Shoulda used the time they spent with little Trev on more time with Marie instead, since those were probably the best and emotional parts of the game.

Tags: